U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM

6,730 posts, read 6,623,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Not true. How Foreigners can Become Chinese Citizens:

Article 7 of the Nationality Law states that foreigners who will abide by the Chinese Constitution and laws can apply to be naturalized as Chinese citizens if they meet one of the following conditions:

1. They have close relatives who are Chinese nationals.

2. They have settled in China

3. They have other legitimate reasons.

In China, local Public Security Bureaus will accept applications for citizenship. If applicants are abroad, citizenship applications are handled at Chinese embassies and consular offices. After they are submitted, the Ministry of Public Security will examine and approve or dismiss applications. If approved, it will issue a certificate of citizenship.

There are other more specific rules for the Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions.
We all know laws are just for "reference" in China.
I have never seen any foreigners become Chinese, unless they are ethnic Chinese, though quite some foreigners settled in Chinese for various reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I have never seen any foreigners become Chinese, unless they are ethnic Chinese, though quite some foreigners settled in Chinese for various reasons.
There are a fair number of Westerners who have become Japanese citizens with full legal rights through marriage and years of work there, but even still, social discrimination means that you'll still be barred from many careers and jobs. Good luck finding a Japanese citizen who's of European or African descent as a member of the police department, army, government, etc.

Everything I've read about China is basically the same deal. There are Westerners who move there, marry a Chinese person, start a successful business (in their Chinese partner's name generally), become very wealthy, have a family, and have no intention of moving back home, yet never go further than permanent residency - many have lived in China for years and simply renew their spousal visa every year, and many of the people who have tried to go through the process of becoming a citizen get kicked from department to department for months or years to no avail. Also, many people choose to retain their birth citizenship, if nothing else so that they can pass it on to their children for reasons of education, healthcare, future career options in their home country, etc.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There are a fair number of Westerners who have become Japanese citizens with full legal rights through marriage and years of work there, but even still, social discrimination means that you'll still be barred from many careers and jobs. Good luck finding a Japanese citizen who's of European or African descent as a member of the police department, army, government, etc.

Everything I've read about China is basically the same deal. There are Westerners who move there, marry a Chinese person, start a successful business (in their Chinese partner's name generally), become very wealthy, have a family, and have no intention of moving back home, yet never go further than permanent residency - many have lived in China for years and simply renew their spousal visa every year, and many of the people who have tried to go through the process of becoming a citizen get kicked from department to department for months or years to no avail. Also, many people choose to retain their birth citizenship, if nothing else so that they can pass it on to their children for reasons of education, healthcare, future career options in their home country, etc.
Yes, I understand few westerners want to obtain Chinese citizenship.
However, many people from developing countries do, and they have no chance.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,008,571 times
Quote:
Here are just a few:

Sidney Shapiro
George Hatem
Israel Epstein
Richard Frey
James Veneris
Ruth Weiss

I actually have a few friends now who are in the process.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Here are just a few foreign-born PRC citizens:

Sidney Shapiro
George Hatem
Israel Epstein
Richard Frey
James Veneris
Ruth Weiss

Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
Quote:

Sidney Shapiro
George Hatem
Israel Epstein
Richard Frey
James Veneris
Ruth Weiss

Most (all?) of those people were born in the 1910's or 20's, moved to China in the 1930's, and gained their citizenship before the cultural revolution.

James Veneris was an American soldier who defected after being captured during the Korean war, and was referred to as an "international freedom fighter" by China's then-premier... makes for good PR.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Most (all?) of those people were born in the 1910's or 20's, moved to China in the 1930's, and gained their citizenship before the cultural revolution.

James Veneris was an American soldier who defected after being captured during the Korean war, and was referred to as an "international freedom fighter" by China's then-premier... makes for good PR.
Yep, most were leftists who took the communists' side during the civil war against the KMT. As I noted, I have a few friends now who are in the process. It's actually not all that difficult. There will be more and more in the coming years. It's not that China restricts foreigners from becoming citizens, it's that most foreigners have no desire to become Chinese citizens, be it the politics, corruption, no rule of law, not to mention that the country is an ecological basket case. All they really want is permanent residency in China to run their businesses.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Sidney Shapiro
George Hatem
Israel Epstein
Richard Frey
James Veneris
Ruth Weiss

You consider these examples normal?
We are talking about ordinary people, not political tools.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yep, most were leftists who took the communists' side during the civil war against the KMT. As I noted, I have a few friends now who are in the process. It's actually not all that difficult. There will be more and more in the coming years. It's not that China restricts foreigners from becoming citizens, it's that most foreigners have no desire to become Chinese citizens, be it the politics, corruption, no rule of law, not to mention that the country is an ecological basket case. All they really want is permanent residency in China to run their businesses.
The truth is, it is even extremely difficult to be a permanent resident, not to mention citizen.
If a foreign national successfully obtains permanent residency in a medium or small Chinese city (not Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou etc.), he is guaranteed to be on the news.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You consider these examples normal?
We are talking about ordinary people, not political tools.
"Foreign nationals can never become Chinese citizens unless they have Chinese ancestry."

Dude, I proved your statement was inaccurate, now you want to move the goalposts. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or