U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,008,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The truth is, it is even extremely difficult to be a permanent resident, not to mention citizen.
If a foreign national successfully obtains permanent residency in a medium or small Chinese city (not Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou etc.), he is guaranteed to be on the news.
The size of the city is irrelevant. It is the central government that deals with immigration issues. The fact of the matter is that it is not nearly as difficult as you allege. I know several people who have submitted the paperwork. It is more of a situation that very few foreigners want to pursue Chinese citizenship. But I think this will change in coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,623,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
"Foreign nationals can never become Chinese citizens unless they have Chinese ancestry."

Dude, I proved your statement was inaccurate, now you want to move the goalposts. Whatever.
Such an argument is childish. Argument for argument purpose.

We are certainly talking about contemporary China, not Mao's era. And to "win me" in a debate does not serve the purposes of the thread per se.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The size of the city is irrelevant. It is the central government that deals with immigration issues. The fact of the matter is that it is not nearly as difficult as you allege. I know several people who have submitted the paperwork. It is more of a situation that very few foreigners want to pursue Chinese citizenship. But I think this will change in coming years.
I was talking about permanent residence here.
Not citizenship. I heard a lot of complaints from foreign nationals.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Such an argument is childish. Argument for argument purpose.

We are certainly talking about contemporary China, not Mao's era. And to "win me" in a debate does not serve the purposes of the thread per se.
Now we're talking about contemporary China? Well, keep moving the goalposts. You have some sad logical reasoning, but whatever gets you through the day. The fact is, you're just plain wrong. Foreigners can and have gained Chinese citizenship. More will do so in the future. China would welcome more foreigners to gain Chinese citizenship, because it is good pr for them. But very few want to, for the reasons I provided, unless they come from the dredges of the world. China doesn't welcome those kinds of immigrants however.

And if you include HK (it's part of China, too, remember?) over 6000 Indians and Pakistanis alone have naturalized. Yes, they are now citizens of contemporary China.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM

22,222 posts, read 23,735,900 times
Quote:
We all know laws are just for "reference" in China.
I have never seen any foreigners become Chinese, unless they are ethnic Chinese, though quite some foreigners settled in Chinese for various reasons.
I've definitely known a few non-ethnic Chinese people who were not born in China that have taken Chinese citizenship though that's all been by marriage. There are probably a handful of other circumstances where that would happen.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Now we're talking about contemporary China? Well, keep moving the goalposts. You have some sad logical reasoning, but whatever gets you through the day. The fact is, you're just plain wrong. Foreigners can and have gained Chinese citizenship. More will do so in the future. China would welcome more foreigners to gain Chinese citizenship, because it is good pr for them. But very few want to, for the reasons I provided, unless they come from the dredges of the world. China doesn't welcome those kinds of immigrants however.

And if you include HK (it's part of China, too, remember?) over 6000 Indians and Pakistanis alone have naturalized. Yes, they are now citizens of contemporary China.
Again, tell me ANYONE you know who has gained China citizenship.
Don't list some political tools decades ago.

China is NOT an immigrant country and will never embrace immigrants as the US, Canada, Australia and so on do.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've definitely known a few non-ethnic Chinese people who were not born in China that have taken Chinese citizenship though that's all been by marriage. There are probably a handful of other circumstances where that would happen.
Really? Are you sure it is citizenship not permanent residency (which is easier to obtain)?

According to China's law, those who become Chinese citizens MUST give up other citizenships they have, and those who become citizens of other countries must give up Chinese citizenship.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Again, tell me ANYONE you know who has gained China citizenship.
Don't list some political tools decades ago.

China is NOT an immigrant country and will never embrace immigrants as the US, Canada, Australia and so on do.
Now you are being intentionally dense. I have never claimed that China is an immigrant country. In fact, I have listed several reasons why people who desire to remain in China long-term choose not to naturalize. What I have done is show beyond a shadow of a doubt that, contrary to your false claim, it is possible for non-ethnic Chinese foreigners to obtain Chinese citizenship.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Now you are being intentionally dense. I have never claimed that China is an immigrant country. In fact, I have listed several reasons why people who desire to remain in China long-term choose not to naturalize. What I have done is show beyond a shadow of a doubt that, contrary to your false claim, it is possible for non-ethnic Chinese foreigners to obtain Chinese citizenship.
So you still have zero examples? nuff said.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM

22,222 posts, read 23,735,900 times
Quote:
Really? Are you sure it is citizenship not permanent residency (which is easier to obtain)?

According to China's law, those who become Chinese citizens MUST give up other citizenships they have, and those who become citizens of other countries must give up Chinese citizenship.
Yes, I meant citizenship as in actual citizenship. I've met people who are from Vietnam, Australia, South Korea (I think South Korea) and Indonesia who have taken citizenship and I've heard of others. You do have to give up your citizenship in another country. All of these have been by marriage, but I suppose there would probably be an edge case here or there of someone getting citizenship in some other way. I don't at all think it's common and this was probably because I was in the hyperdense cluster**** that is Shanghai whereas I doubt this happens elsewhere--though I've definitely heard of people in the countryside taking southeast asian wives some of whom would likely naturalize as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or