U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM

139 posts, read 224,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Huh? KL's expats live mainly in the affluent Bangsar suburb as well as some other neighbouring areas. I don't think it's "least likely" to meet one, but of course not on the same levels as Singapore, HK, or Tokyo.
true, i guess what i meant to say was in comparison to other big cities (cuz it'd be unfair to compare them to small rural towns). Of only the big cities on my list, I'd say KL had the lowest expat visibility rating. a lot of incoming foreigners lately however, so this could definitely change! i think ppl will come to realize how unrealistically expensive singapore has become and consider making the transition to KL, where everything is just a fraction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,855,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
I'll be arriving in September of 2014 to Singapore and I'll be there in Asia to stay forever.

I've finalized on my plans, just have some work to take care of here but Singapore here I come and after that, then it's anyones guess: Seoul, Osaka, Nagoya, Tokyo, Bangkok, Tel-Aviv, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Kuala Lumpur, Shenzhen, Taipei, Shanghai, Busan, anywhere in Asia really.

I'm appreciative to a new chapter in my life and my father in Singapore will be a great guide to my adjustment in Asia.

Here's to what I hope will be a safe and easy transition next year, seems far away but time will fly by fast. I wanted to share because I inquired about this a few months ago when I was still contemplating and many of you were very helpful (especially you Tiger Beer, Trimac20, and kyh) in giving me information and insight. Over the last month I've given it a lot of thought as I'm at a crossroads in life of where to go from here and I've finally settled on an option.

I have a few more questions but I'll ask them when I can remember them all to compile in one post.

Thanks to all of you for your help, I'm very appreciative.

In the mean time, has anyone else here moved around in Asia from one city to another and how was your experience adjusting and are you liking it? I'm fascinated with the entire continent and I'd love to hear some tales about your transitions or even moves in the past. It would be stellar sharing!

Congratulations and good luck on the move to Singapore! That is a very exciting and invigorating adventure, including for change of scenery.

One year and four months is quite a bit of time before the move to Singapore in September 2014, but I am sure you are also going to enjoy your remaining time in USA. Are you planning to stay in Washington DC up to 2014?

The Asia forum on this website is the best, perfect place for valuable information related to plenty of Asia related topics. I learned so much about Asia on this forum and getting to know Asia relatively well.

Singapore is one of the best cities in the world for plenty of reasons, is so ultra-modern, very wealthy, near non-existent poverty, very peaceful for a major city+country, and very little corruption. Singapore also offers a lot for lifestyle, local scene, cultural experience, and career economic base.

On day trips, weekend trips, vacations, there is also Malaysia:Kuala Lumpur:Ipoh:Penang:Borneo, Phuket Thailand, and Bali island in close proximity for traveling.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 470 times
hi

I would like to relocate to Singapore in Dec 2015 I have vast experience and am studying towards CIMA is it easy to get jobs and what is the best way of relocating as it seems like its not easy to get jobs if you are not in Singapore. What is the best way of getting a job? Which part of Singapore is good to raise children?

Kind regards

Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 2,959 times
Singapore is very peaceful because the government is very strict. There are few demonstrations or protests, and mafias in Singapore because it is a very strict place.

Singapore is the most strict developed country in the world. There are very little differences in freedom between Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. Indonesia, Vietnam, China and others are more free.

Not a place for me, not because of the amount of freedom. It is because I do not like tropical climate year round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Singapore is one of the best cities in the world for plenty of reasons, is so ultra-modern, very wealthy, near non-existent poverty, very peaceful for a major city+country, and very little corruption. Singapore also offers a lot for lifestyle, local scene, cultural experience, and career economic base.

On day trips, weekend trips, vacations, there is also Malaysia:Kuala Lumpur:Ipoh:Penang:Borneo, Phuket Thailand, and Bali island in close proximity for traveling.
Singapore is not an exciting place.
Singapore not like a Western country in my opinion. It is even more conservative than Vietnam, India, Indonesia and China. Thailand, HK and Taiwan are more western. Agree that Thailand is very liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
[LIST][*]Least exciting: Singapore (it's been getting better!)[*]Most like a Western country: Singapore[*]Most liberal "anything-goes" city: Bangkok (you just can't insult/slander the crown)[*]Safest place to raise a family: Singapore[*]Most likely place to meet other expats: Singapore
[/LIST]

Last edited by Basalt Is; 05-08-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 04:33 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,336,262 times
I had changed plans.

Rather than moving out to Singapore in 2014, I stayed in the United States and moved from Washington D.C. to Miami and did applications to graduate schools in London and Doha. I got into the London School of Economics and Political Science and will be moving out to London in three months.

After that I am moving straight to Tokyo apart of a program where I will have to teach, it will be for 1-2 years and then I am planning on coming back to the United States. However, my hometown Singapore always remains an option as well, we will have to see then.

However for now, I have to refuse my mum and dad's offer to live in Singapore. This thread is no longer necessary for me.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM

4,886 posts, read 3,393,907 times
Jealous. Could be having a few brews at Penny Black on Boat Quay. Anyway, I'll be back next year.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:26 PM

1,023 posts, read 898,857 times
Been living in Singapore for 10 years, now that I'm in the US, I don't think I can live in SG anymore. I like US more than SG, more freedom, more diverse, many opportunities, the high quality of middle class living to name a few, are some of the advantages of US over SG.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,273,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Been living in Singapore for 10 years, now that I'm in the US, I don't think I can live in SG anymore. I like US more than SG, more freedom, more diverse, many opportunities, the high quality of middle class living to name a few, are some of the advantages of US over SG.
I'll add 1 more for you.. Singaporeans are more xenophobic compared to the Americans ..

Old 05-11-2015, 03:18 AM

653 posts, read 541,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
The US middle class is a economic miracle and phenomenon, nowhere to be found elsewhere in the world. Best of luck to you and your family there! I take it then that your family is going to settle permanently there?

Old 05-11-2015, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 349 times
Congratulations. I love Singapore its Amazing.
Thanks,
The Cheesy Animation - 3D Floor plan Rendering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or