U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,524,802 times

Advertisements

As far as I know, China has not done anything in a few generations that would constitute any kind of a threat to any other countries or people. They are pretty much minding their own business, and willing to trade on fair terms with any country in the world, without imposing any economic pressure on them.

As far as I could see, the people in other countries don't have any particular problems with ethnic Chinese in their country. Chinese constitute the business class in quite a few Asian countries, and have been there for centiuries. The Chinese keep to themselves, and don't assimilate very well into other countries.

I got the impression that in some countries, particularly Laos, the Vietnamese are disliked a great deal more than the Chinese.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM

9,794 posts, read 13,412,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There's no dispute between China and Bhutan.
They don't have normalized diplomatic relations.

Bhutan

Quote:
Almost no dispute between China and S Korea either.
Not necessarily major, but there are still regional/border/seafaring rights disputes.

Quote:
The mainland and Taiwan have no "dispute" per se. Their constitutions cover each other.
You have to admit that's a pretty gross oversimplification of the relations between China and Taiwan.

Bottom line: China has ongoing border disputes and disagreements than most major nations do. I mean, they have their own category on Wikipedia...

Category:Territorial disputes of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM

9,794 posts, read 13,412,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As far as I know, China has not done anything in a few generations that would constitute any kind of a threat to any other countries or people.
Tibet?

Quote:
They are pretty much minding their own business, and willing to trade on fair terms with any country in the world, without imposing any economic pressure on them.
And I generally think that this is a good thing - they haven't engaged in any overt conventional wars in some time and are generally fine to engage in free market trade with much fewer political ramifications than what the US would typically prefer... however, many companies would disagree with you in regards to "fair trade" re: rampant IP, patent, and copyright violations with next to no government intervention or oversight. However, the fact certainly does remain that China hasn't propped up anywhere near the number of horrific dictators that America has for geopolitical influence in the last quarter century. Considering how many of those guys the US government later turned around and waged wars against, assassinated, or formented popular uprisings against, I could see where a developing nation would be more interested in doing business with China than the US.

Quote:
As far as I could see, the people in other countries don't have any particular problems with ethnic Chinese in their country. Chinese constitute the business class in quite a few Asian countries, and have been there for centiuries. The Chinese keep to themselves, and don't assimilate very well into other countries.
I think that by and large in the West, people don't have much against ethnic Chinese people at all. However, I've heard people of other Asian ethnicities speak poorly of the Chinese in the past a fair number of times.

Quote:
I got the impression that in some countries, particularly Laos, the Vietnamese are disliked a great deal more than the Chinese.
That's probably because the Laotians fought a civil war against Vietnam. The have normalized trade and diplomatic relations but that doesn't necessarily reflect popular opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or