Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What chinese city is the best for a single man?
Beijing 4 23.53%
Shanghai 4 23.53%
Shenzhen 2 11.76%
Hong Kong 9 52.94%
Guangzhou 3 17.65%
Tianjin 2 11.76%
Other (please specify in comments) 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,055 times

Advertisements

Please answer the poll above and comment why you believe it is the best city in this category.

If anymore information helps, I am in my low 20's and make an above average salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
How much Chinese do you speak? What are your intentions in China? Just work or are you looking for romance also (which I'm assuming since you saw fit to mention that you're single). Generally speaking Hong Kong is the easiest Chinese city for foreigners to acclimate to since English is an official language due its former status as a British colony. In practice English isn't quite as widespread among the general populace as they would like you to believe, but still better than anywhere else in Asia besides Singapore and the Philippines. The downside for Hong Kong is that housing is really expensive. Really, really expensive. Among the most expensive in the world. Also, if you've been learning Mandarin then it might not be as handy as in other Chinese cities since Cantonese is the predominant language in HK.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I would say Hong Kong. English is pretty widely spoken and some of the British culture is still evident.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
HK, unless you speak Mandarin then Shanghai. English is more useful than Mandarin in HK.

Shenzhen and Guangzhou people also mainly speak Cantonese.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I would say anywhere but Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is a first world destination, and most women there would really care less that you are a person with an income as well.

Mainland China, they'll be clamoring over your money/income/status.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
what's up with all these questons lately? just go to whatever city you like the most.

if you don't know which city you like the most, i suggest you actually spend time in china before moving there.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Hong Kong is a first world destination, and most women there would really care less that you are a person with an income as well.

Yes and no. Hong Kong women may have money but that doesn't mean they aren't looking for love. In fact Hong Kong has a huge 'leftover women' phenomenon where women are successful and economically independent but unable to get a man. That being said I would agree that, language barrier aside, the mainland is a much better place to meet women than Hong Kong.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM

588 posts, read 796,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

....except for people from Shanghai. They no longer expect Americans are more wealthy than they are. They now marvel at how cheap homes are in America compared with Shanghai.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
What's your motivation? Chicks? Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen, in that order. But you'll pull in any large Chinese city.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Yes and no. Hong Kong women may have money but that doesn't mean they aren't looking for love. In fact Hong Kong has a huge 'leftover women' phenomenon where women are successful and economically independent but unable to get a man. That being said I would agree that, language barrier aside, the mainland is a much better place to meet women than Hong Kong.
Yes meet women in mainland but you should have some money as so much people are saying mainland women are one of the most materialistic in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia