U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,867,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Many Malay Malaysians DO mind about the loss of Singapore. They regard it as a Malay realm that should have been part of Malaysia (esp the Sultanate of Johor), but unfortunately with a twist of fate, has become dominated by Chinese, a fact that is especially loathed by the nationalists. Ultra-nationalists often use this as a rallying call to incite the Malays so as to stand up united against a possible usurpation of political power by the Chinese community in Malaysia, and warn them not to vote for any Chinese/Non-Malay/secular political parties.

Malaysia's Islam is largely moderate, but not secular. Secularism is generally frowned on by religious Muslim Malays.

Malaysia-Singapore relations were particularly rocky during Mahathir's term as PM of Malaysia and Lee Kuan Yew's term as PM of Singapore. Both were extremely charismatic leaders during their premiership in their own respective countries, and both were frequently at odds with each other when it comes to anything political. Things only turned for the better with the arrival of the new century and the retirement of these two political veterans.
Someone in an email told me one main reason for the separation between Malaysia and Singapore was because of ethnic reasons with more ethnic Chinese in Singapore region’s history, and Malaysia wanting a Malay majority/Chinese minority. That is ironic since the Malaysian city of Ipoh is 70% ethnic Chinese but didn’t become a separate city state country.

Singapore and Malaysia also had ideological differences based on politics, economics/finance, spirituality/religion, and social policies.

Oh, so Malaysians do mind about Singapore’s independence and separation from Malaysia. Well, at least they have relatively peaceful relations for the situation, and mostly try to get along well to not cause further disruption. This almost appears similar as China vs. Taiwan relations.

Singapore is so much wealthier than Malaysia based on economy, but Malaysia is so much larger, having more space, variety of nature scenery areas+islands+cities, and also having plenty of wealth. Singapore established a unique national identity, but does continue to have some Malaysian influence.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-19-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,064,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Someone in an email told me one main reason for the separation between Malaysia and Singapore was because of ethnic reasons with more ethnic Chinese in Singapore region’s history, and Malaysia wanting a Malay majority/Chinese minority. That is ironic since the Malaysian city of Ipoh is 70% ethnic Chinese but didn’t become a separate city state country.

Singapore and Malaysia also had ideological differences based on politics, economics/finance, spirituality/religion, and social policies.

Oh, so Malaysians do mind about Singapore’s independence and separation from Malaysia. Well, at least they have relatively peaceful relations for the situation, and mostly try to get along well to not cause further disruption. This almost appears similar as China vs. Taiwan relations.

Singapore is so much wealthier than Malaysia based on economy, but Malaysia is so much larger, having more space, variety of nature scenery areas+islands+cities, and also having plenty of wealth. Singapore established a unique national identity, but does continue to have some Malaysian influence.
Ipoh is predominantly Chinese but that doesn't mean she has to be separated from Malaysia. The conditions for her to do so are unfavourable to her, unlike Singapore which is an island in itself and is situated at the very centre of one of the world's busiest waterways as well as an important and strategic trade route between India and China. Moreover, Ipoh has always been a secondary city and not an alpha city like KL or Singapore. Her population is also so much smaller than Singapore and it has to be dependant on the rest of the state for development.

Malaysia is blessed with natural wealth but due to rampant cronyism and corruption by the ruling Government for more than half a century, most of the wealth has gone into the pockets of the political elites. We could have been first world like Taiwan (due to similar population) for decades if not for this. Most of the Southeast Asian countries could have been prosperous and wealthy with their abundance of natural resources but the majority of them have been wrecked by corruption and political unrest or authoritarian dictatorship in the past decades.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,808 times
There's a good reason why Singapore has such a large well funded and well trained military for a country its size. They're surrounded by neighbors who don't particularly like the Chinese, and they have a historically contentious relationship with said neighbors.

I've been to Singapore twice and I was amazed at how prevalent the military was part of the local culture, I think Singaporeans even have the US beat in that department!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,547,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
There's a good reason why Singapore has such a large well funded and well trained military for a country its size. They're surrounded by neighbors who don't particularly like the Chinese, and they have a historically contentious relationship with said neighbors.

I've been to Singapore twice and I was amazed at how prevalent the military was part of the local culture, I think Singaporeans even have the US beat in that department!
No doubt the military is a large part of their lives as all fit male citizens are compulsorily conscripted to military training for close to two years I think. I find it hard to understand why such a long period of service is necessary given the relative peace in the region and the difficulty of defending such a small nation against a potential aggressor anyway.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,808 times
I can't really blame them, the cost of maintaining such a military force is expensive but the Singaporeans can afford it. And hell they have Indonesia as a neighbor and those guys in particular have never been friendly to the majority ethnic group in Singapore. Plus they have more top of the line tanks, jets, etc than most European countries! I think they are a quite capable deterrent.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,064,184 times
Quote:
I can't really blame them, the cost of maintaining such a military force is expensive but the Singaporeans can afford it. And hell they have Indonesia as a neighbor and those guys in particular have never been friendly to the majority ethnic group in Singapore. Plus they have more top of the line tanks, jets, etc than most European countries! I think they are a quite capable deterrent.
I'd say Malaysia poses a bigger threat to Singapore than Indonesia due to shared history and a bitter separation.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,405,536 times
Singapore has a highly effective well trained military with close ties to the US. Some of our newest Navy ships will be stationed in Singapore on a permanent basis. The Singapore air force uses training facilities at Luke and Mountain Home air force bases here. Recently Singapore ground units trained with the US Marine Corps here in the San Diego area.

Singapore is a wealthy country with a high standard of living and sometimes this has funny consequences in regard to the young military age men who have a mandatory service obligation. There was a flap recently about soldiers coming home on the weekends with their military backpacks. They were met at their local commuter train station by their family maids who promptly shouldered their gear for the last leg of their trip back home.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,639,783 times
Quote:
The other benefit of NS (national service) is that it brings people from all sectors of society together as Singaporeans first, as opposed to identifying with a particular ethnic group. You might call it helping with nation-building, in a sense.

And yes, having a well-equipped military still is a good deterrent even though today relations with the other ASEAN countries are much better than, say, 50 years ago.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
No doubt the military is a large part of their lives as all fit male citizens are compulsorily conscripted to military training for close to two years I think. I find it hard to understand why such a long period of service is necessary given the relative peace in the region and the difficulty of defending such a small nation against a potential aggressor anyway.
I agree. Singapore does have a lack of legitimate reasons for developing a prominent military and trying to integrate some military obligations into part of society there. It is not necessary since there is relative peace in the region, Singapore being so wealthy, and attempting to defend a geographically small nation against the much larger neighboring countries.

Singapore for this situation should instead focus more on positive, stable international relations and diplomacy with Malaysia and Indonesia.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Ipoh is predominantly Chinese but that doesn't mean she has to be separated from Malaysia. The conditions for her to do so are unfavourable to her, unlike Singapore which is an island in itself and is situated at the very centre of one of the world's busiest waterways as well as an important and strategic trade route between India and China. Moreover, Ipoh has always been a secondary city and not an alpha city like KL or Singapore. Her population is also so much smaller than Singapore and it has to be dependant on the rest of the state for development.

Malaysia is blessed with natural wealth but due to rampant cronyism and corruption by the ruling Government for more than half a century, most of the wealth has gone into the pockets of the political elites. We could have been first world like Taiwan (due to similar population) for decades if not for this. Most of the Southeast Asian countries could have been prosperous and wealthy with their abundance of natural resources but the majority of them have been wrecked by corruption and political unrest or authoritarian dictatorship in the past decades.
Malaysia continues to have some separatist movements in Borneo:Sarawak+Sabah, and maybe also in Pulau Pinang area of Penang region. Ipoh does have a noticeably different situation from Singapore, and not having the exact favorable geographic location, major city status, and economic wealth of Singapore.

All of Malaysia should stay united together, and no more new separate countries forming within Malaysia ever again.

Malaysia is an interesting, magnificent, impressive, and unique country.

I appreciate, enjoy, and respect Southeast Asia so much, so I would view Southeast Asia more optimistically. Singapore is already so economically prosperous. Thailand, Malaysia, and Vietnam already have a decent amount of economic wealth, have some of the fastest growing economies in the world, so they have a good, encouraging future for economic prosperity, and are already very culturally wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or