U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I agree. Singapore does have a lack of legitimate reasons for developing a prominent military and trying to integrate some military obligations into part of society there. It is not necessary since there is relative peace in the region, Singapore being so wealthy, and attempting to defend a geographically small nation against the much larger neighboring countries.

Singapore for this situation should instead focus more on positive, stable international relations and diplomacy with Malaysia and Indonesia.
I disagree, sure things are relatively peaceful now, but that can change in the future. Like I said, Singapore is surrounded by neighbors who don't particularly like the Chinese and politics is like the wind, it can change direction anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,536,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I disagree, sure things are relatively peaceful now, but that can change in the future. Like I said, Singapore is surrounded by neighbors who don't particularly like the Chinese and politics is like the wind, it can change direction anytime.
That's partly true, but what can Singapore do if one of the large powers decides to invade - it has no chance with or without a period of national service and high military spending unless it has a larger power who would help defend their country. I mean Malaysia can just turn off the water tap to Singapore if it feels like it.

Having said that Malaysia-Singapore relations are at their best since independence and it's hard to see this build-up of goodwill with the rest of the region just disappearing overnight.

It's also useful remember that Singapore did not willingly leave the Federation of Malaysia, they were expelled due to Singapore disagreeing with the national government's affirmative action policies towards the bumiputra, and there were a number of race riots during this time. I'm not sure Malaysia is interested in annexing Singapore anyway if it means adding a substantial number of Chinese to the mix which could threaten these policies.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Well the culture of Singapore is still very much the culture of Malaysia, although the situation in Malaysia may have diverged from that of Singapore. Singapore is one of the three 'Straits Settlements': the others being Penang, and Malacca, and shares a similar history and culture to those two cities: both established largely as colonial outposts with European heritage, trading centres with large immigration populations (especially the influential Chinese communities) as well as a relatively large amount of mixing between the different cultures.

The main difference between Singapore and Malaysia, apart from the socio-economic and political situation, is language. While Malay is one of the official languages and is still firmly embedded in the city state's heritage and identity (in the national anthem for instance), Singapore moved away from Malay nationalism (largely because it was majority Chinese since it's early days) promoting both English and Mandarin as the main languages, with English really being the de-facto main language of business, government, commerce.etc.

In terms of the grass-roots culture, however, Singapore isn't that different to Malaysian cities like Malacca, George Town, Johor Bahru and a lesser extent Ipoh. The food is almost the same - especially the Hawker style food, and both have an Indian population of around 10%. Singapore is still home to a vibrant ethnic Malay population, which is evident if you go to somewhere like Bedok or Eunos.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
It's unfortunate that Singapore wasn't created just plain larger!

I quite like Singapore and Malaysia a lot, but I like Singapore a bit better, and it would be amazing if it had more affordable rural areas as well.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 AM

41 posts, read 41,552 times
http://ktemoc.blogspot.com/2010/09/t...singapore.html

Hmm I'm Malaysian. I do adore how Singapore was now. But maybe I'm not happy at all if I choose to live there.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM

201 posts, read 264,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Many Malay Malaysians DO mind about the loss of Singapore. They regard it as a Malay realm that should have been part of Malaysia (esp the Sultanate of Johor), but unfortunately with a twist of fate, has become dominated by Chinese, a fact that is especially loathed by the nationalists. Ultra-nationalists often use this as a rallying call to incite the Malays so as to stand up united against a possible usurpation of political power by the Chinese community in Malaysia, and warn them not to vote for any Chinese/Non-Malay/secular political parties.
This type of mentality among the Malaysians should be encouraged, as long as protests are non-violent in nature. What's the point of Malaysia existing if ethnic Malays are not in control of their own country? This ethnic tension is occurring in other parts of the world too, such as Mandalay in Burma where Chinese from Yunnan are steadily approaching 50% in that city.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
It's also useful remember that Singapore did not willingly leave the Federation of Malaysia, they were expelled due to Singapore disagreeing with the national government's affirmative action policies towards the bumiputra, and there were a number of race riots during this time. I'm not sure Malaysia is interested in annexing Singapore anyway if it means adding a substantial number of Chinese to the mix which could threaten these policies.
That's interesting. I didn't know that Singapore didn't willingly leave the Federation of Malaysia.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:22 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
Generally, Singaporean and Malaysian having good relationship to one another. If Singapore is part of Malaysia now, the Chinese ethnic will make up the majority instead of Muslim. So that is why It has to be divined into two countries.
I am Singaporean-Chinese
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think at the time of decolonization, the demographics were either really close or a a slight Chinese majority. Over the decades, the Malay population grew a lot faster than the Chinese population did and government policy in Malaysia made it disadvantageous for some Chinese Malaysians to stay in the country rather than emigrate.
Quote:
Someone in an email told me one main reason for the separation between Malaysia and Singapore was because of ethnic reasons with more ethnic Chinese in Singapore regionís history, and Malaysia wanting a Malay majority/Chinese minority.
This all jives with what my family has "taught" me all along. I'm a first-generation American-born Chinese whose family goes back several generations in Malaysia. Many of my cousins and their friends have struggled with the decision whether to leave or fight for change...my parents left decades ago and never looked back (well, we have visited over a dozen times but they will never move back) but others in my family are very involved in the community and politics and hope for more equality.

Quote:
Ipoh does have a noticeably different situation from Singapore, and not having the exact favorable geographic location, major city status, and economic wealth of Singapore.
Just to be clear, Singapore was NOT a wealthy or prosperous nation at all when they separated from Malaysia. Lee Kuan Yew really turned things around, likely to the chagrin of the Malaysian government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
That's the story my father tells me.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:08 AM

110 posts, read 106,688 times
Do all Singaporeans have special affinity with their roots in China, India or Malaysia for Singaporean-Chinese, Singaporean-Indians or Singaporean-Malays respectively?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or