U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 832 times

Advertisements

[url=http://www.quikrinfo.com/]Free classifieds| Classified ads| online classifieds| free ads[/url]

Quikrinfo Offer free Classifieds for real estate, mobiles, Computer, jobs, automobile, services, education,Electronics,Technology,travels and many more..Buy & Sell anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:55 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
India is probably improving, but slowly, it still has very major problems to overcome. Plus it's culture is still very traditional (which has good and bad sides) compared to many places.

^ That's incredible, looks like Mumbai is trying to become like NYC, Hong Kong or Dubai. While cool, I wonder if some of that money can be used to help the poor instead of trying to show off to the world.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
I think you guys are really missing the amount of corruption in Indian politics. While India might have made a little progress, their judicial system is terrible. Their multi party system causes many problems and they have many radical politicians.. with actual power.

Let's not forget just how segregated their country is in terms of language, religion, castes and cultures. The have a long way to go and many internal problems to fix before they can be anywhere near first world.

They recently passed an anti-gay law.

India will not be a world contender for a very long time, that country is completely backwards and the amount of poverty there is almost unimaginable. That's not something that can be fixed overnight.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think you guys are really missing the amount of corruption in Indian politics. While India might have made a little progress, their judicial system is terrible. Their multi party system causes many problems and they have many radical politicians.. with actual power.

Let's not forget just how segregated their country is in terms of language, religion, castes and cultures. The have a long way to go and many internal problems to fix before they can be anywhere near first world.

They recently passed an anti-gay law.

India will not be a world contender for a very long time, that country is completely backwards and the amount of poverty there is almost unimaginable.
Yes, India is so diverse, corrupt, with desperate poverty, too much people struggling just to survive, I think the idea that it can be 'first world' is sort of from an idealistic western perspective, the caste system is not something which can be undone overnight, it's been that way for thousands of years.

There are benefits to a totalitarian regime, as can be seen with China.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,398,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

I wonder if some of that money can be used to help the poor instead of trying to show off to the world.
lol, these sort of statements and sentiments never make any sense. You would have the individuals that finance these buildings using all of their money to start bread lines instead of investing their money and driving the engine of commerce? Economic growth is the best long term solution to tackling the issue of mass poverty(which by all metrics is gradually disappearing in India); and believe it or not, building an office building does more to help eradicate poverty than a bread line ever will.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
lol, these sort of statements and sentiments never make any sense. You would have the individuals that finance these buildings using all of their money to start bread lines instead of investing their money and driving the engine of commerce? Economic growth is the best long term solution to tackling the issue of mass poverty(which by all metrics is gradually disappearing in India); and believe it or not, building an office building does more to help eradicate poverty than a bread line ever will.
Well what about all those buildings that remain vacant? Even in Dubai. They seem more a waste of resources and money than truly trying to help folks out of poverty. I'm not just suggesting just tossing crumbs, but actually helping folk lift themselves out of poverty.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, India is so diverse, corrupt, with desperate poverty, too much people struggling just to survive, I think the idea that it can be 'first world' is sort of from an idealistic western perspective, the caste system is not something which can be undone overnight, it's been that way for thousands of years.

There are benefits to a totalitarian regime, as can be seen with China.

I can't speak for other countries, but I do see a lot of Americans talking about how India can be first world and a world power very soon. I actually believed it for a while too. I think a big reason is that so many people don't realize how many problems India has, even not counting the poverty. I can understand why though, India pumps out a lot of Engineers and Doctors and seemingly have a very strong economy. Globally, India could look like a powerhouse.. but their internal issues will hold them back for many years.

I never would have understood these things if I didn't go out with an Indian girl for two years and spend time in Mumbai.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I can't speak for other countries, but I do see a lot of Americans talking about how India can be first world and a world power very soon. I actually believed it for a while too. I think a big reason is that so many people don't realize how many problems India has, even not counting the poverty. I can understand why though, India pumps out a lot of Engineers and Doctors and seemingly have a very strong economy. Globally, India could look like a powerhouse.. but their internal issues will hold them back for many years.

I never would have understood these things if I didn't go out with an Indian girl for two years and spend time in Mumbai.
People look at the stats, see all these big skyscrapers coming up, and visit the wealthier enclaves of big cities and then proclaim that India, Brazil, China are going to overtake the US in quality of living. Right now, China is the closest, but even as the US declines it ain't gonna happen for awhile.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,703,566 times
From what I know the main problem in India is red tape. You want to get a project done, then you better have the government on your side, then you need to appease and bribe special interest groups.

For instance they had to creat an new island to make a bridge in Mumbai because there was some special interest groups who complained. That would have never happened in China. That really highlights how hard it is to invest in India. The massive corruption is a product of the red tape, because you have to bribe to get anything done.

India can both help the poor and reduce red tape. The problem is that most Indians don't recognize the problem. Some even think it helps. As long as nothing is changed, then India will stagnate and the majority of the population will remain poor.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,398,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The problem is that most Indians don't recognize the problem. Some even think it helps. As long as nothing is changed, then India will stagnate and the majority of the population will remain poor.
Many do, but they rather have their subsidies, lol. The Indian conservative movement is finally coming into it's own, and it will continue to grow as the Indian middle class grows. I believe that even the Indian center-left will start to give up their pro-bureaucracy leanings after they lose the elections that are coming up this May.

If I were going to setup a five year plan for the next Indian government, it would be tackle structural issues like over-regulation and streamline the Indian bureaucracy. After that, the next five year plan would be to leverage the gains made in improved governance and India's low public debt levels to really start hammering out infrastructure projects.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 01-25-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia