U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,853,897 times

Advertisements

Do you think it has anything to do with the fall of the Berlin Wall? I read that part of the reason was because the Japanese government started backing the dollar as opposed to the yen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 AM

131 posts, read 167,799 times
Two Words: Housing Bubble. It had nothing to do with the Berlin Wall, in fact I think Japan may have popped before the Berlin Wall even fell. If I remember correctly from my economics class, Japan was running a massive trade surplus that needed to be deterred therefore they relaxed regulations on banks and this allowed Japan to flourish for some period of time. Housing values across the nation were increasing quicker than people incomes, and this mixed with people attempting to buy homes more than they couldn't afford made the country crash. Plus American's got word that Asia/Japan wasn't a safe place to invest, so they pulled billions upon billions out of Japan's economy at a unseen pace that ultimately erupted their economy. Once again, I'm not sure exactly if this is true or not, but during the 80's the Japanese economy was booming so quickly that it was to surpass the USA's GDP eventually and this is why people are speculating the same for China.

But come to think of it, something did happen between the US and Japan in the late 70's or early 80's called the 'Plaza Accords', which I suggest you research because I don't know much about it, but I think the US or Japan devalued their currency which may have resulted in the trade surplus Japan ended up facing. But like I said, research it yourself. I'm far too lazy to research anything, I just feel like typing. LOL

Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
Two Words: Housing Bubble. It had nothing to do with the Berlin Wall, in fact I think Japan may have popped before the Berlin Wall even fell. If I remember correctly from my economics class, Japan was running a massive trade surplus that needed to be deterred therefore they relaxed regulations on banks and this allowed Japan to flourish for some period of time. Housing values across the nation were increasing quicker than people incomes, and this mixed with people attempting to buy homes more than they couldn't afford made the country crash. Plus American's got word that Asia/Japan wasn't a safe place to invest, so they pulled billions upon billions out of Japan's economy at a unseen pace that ultimately erupted their economy. Once again, I'm not sure exactly if this is true or not, but during the 80's the Japanese economy was booming so quickly that it was to surpass the USA's GDP eventually and this is why people are speculating the same for China.

But come to think of it, something did happen between the US and Japan in the late 70's or early 80's called the 'Plaza Accords', which I suggest you research because I don't know much about it, but I think the US or Japan devalued their currency which may have resulted in the trade surplus Japan ended up facing. But like I said, research it yourself. I'm far too lazy to research anything, I just feel like typing. LOL
Yeah, I think the Chinese bubble, and also the Canadian housing bubble that is going on now, are due to pop in the near future.

From what I understand, Japan's affluence didn't peak in 1989, but rather plateaued - even though people aren't making as much money now, the "Lost Years" in Japan haven't seen much of a decline in the quality of living for the average Japanese person. I don't think?

Japan seems oddly eschatological - I think in many ways it is the "end game" of a developed country, but then again you have to also realize their culture is very unique so other countries might reach their "endgame" in a different fashion.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM

What do you guys think?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 AM

12,303 posts, read 15,209,125 times
I read one theory that it was a dramatic drop in the birth rate. Less consumer demand. Later labor shortages. Granted, labor shortage is a problem the U.S. would love to have but detrimental in the long run. Japan has an aged population and young people no interested in starting families.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:42 PM

84 posts, read 368,235 times
Japan economy is stucking at what it is because it has no more room to expand. Japan is a high end developed country since 1990. Since it is high end, so that means it can't go any longer for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or