U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM
 
6,246 posts, read 6,385,177 times
Reputation: 2866

Advertisements

In southeast Asia, are the overseas chinese well represented in the menial labor sector of each of the countries' economies?

Like in America, I say the chinese are well entrenched in the menial labor sector. They mostly work in the food service field, and construction, and retail industries concentrated in the various Chinatown of our major cities. Of course, you have many chinese in the professional services, science and engineering, and medical fields too.

But I am wondering in Southeast Asia where most overseas chinese reside, are they known only as engineers, doctors, and business owners, or do they too take part in the more basic levels of employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,770,340 times
Reputation: 2236
commerce and finance are the big sectors for ethnic chinese. nowhere near as diverse as in the americas.

you might find this link interesting

http://www.statistics.gov.my/portal/...S_2012_Eng.pdf

a 2012 report on household income in malaysia. breaks it down by ethnicity, something most other SE asian countries aren't willing to do in their statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
In southeast Asia, are the overseas chinese well represented in the menial labor sector of each of the countries' economies?

Like in America, I say the chinese are well entrenched in the menial labor sector. They mostly work in the food service field, and construction, and retail industries concentrated in the various Chinatown of our major cities. Of course, you have many chinese in the professional services, science and engineering, and medical fields too.

But I am wondering in Southeast Asia where most overseas chinese reside, are they known only as engineers, doctors, and business owners, or do they too take part in the more basic levels of employment?
They are exceptionally hard workers, at every level. Extremely practical, work themselves to death, not a lot of outside interests beyond working hard, and saving money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM
 
6,246 posts, read 6,385,177 times
Reputation: 2866
But what jobs are they doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,329,096 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But what jobs are they doing?
really depends....some do make it big.....others can be seen peddling cheap products from China in fleamarkets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But what jobs are they doing?
In general, I notice that most Chinese people like to be in business. This can mean something as simple as selling clothes on the street, to being a chinese restaurant storeowner, to having a more higher-status business position.

But, I'd imagine you could find Chinese doing just about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,010,378 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But what jobs are they doing?
owning the country


Top 10 Richest People in Philippines 2013 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM
 
6,246 posts, read 6,385,177 times
Reputation: 2866
I read an interesting article in another forum, about how being in the majority or white person in USA is a big advantage, in the most simplest ways. It then goes on to list all the simple ways it is. And these ever so simple ways dispels the notion hardwork can trump any majority/minority advantages or disadvantages because without these simple pathways available there is no hardwork to even be had.

Now, it seems the simple advantages a majority enjoys do not apply in Southeast Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,329,096 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I read an interesting article in another forum, about how being in the majority or white person in USA is a big advantage, in the most simplest ways. It then goes on to list all the simple ways it is. And these ever so simple ways dispels the notion hardwork can trump any majority/minority advantages or disadvantages because without these simple pathways available there is no hardwork to even be had.

Now, it seems the simple advantages a majority enjoys do not apply in Southeast Asia.
it still applies...if the majority wanted to kick out the chinese from the country they could do that

most of these chinese do not bring in money into SEAsia...in fact the customers of these chinese are the SEAsians themselves...

chinese in SEAsia = Jews in America...only difference is the chinese havent gotten control of the govt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,626,223 times
Reputation: 6279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
it still applies...if the majority wanted to kick out the chinese from the country they could do that

most of these chinese do not bring in money into SEAsia...in fact the customers of these chinese are the SEAsians themselves...

chinese in SEAsia = Jews in America...only difference is the chinese havent gotten control of the govt
This varies by country. In rough descendingorder of ethnic Chinese pre-eminence

Singapore is majority ethnic Chinese and yes, they do have political power there.

In Thailand the Sino-Thais tend to be more assimilated into the general population and there isn't that much tension as in the other countries.

Philippines it's pretty similar, though you have had some problems with kidnappings of well-to-do ethnic Chinese, but it seems to be more motivated by money. Some politicians past and present with Chinese ancestry - Benigno Aquino III (current president), Cory Aquino (past president), Marcos.

Malaysia - Chinese have representation in the ruling coalition National Front but it's pretty much accepted that the majority Malays (bumiputra) will have political dominance. Bumiputras get preferences also for school spaces and government jobs, which puts off a lot of the Chinese there (man of whom go overseas for schooling or even emigrate).

Indonesia - a small minority of Chinese tycoons have a lot of economic clout. However, there has long been a lot of discriminatory policies vs. Chinese, such as restrictions on Chinese language media. Many ethnic Chinese take indigenous names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top