U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,180,065 times

Advertisements

I've never been to asia, but have always read that Singapore's airport, asia, hong kong, china, they are all pretty much world class vs those in the US. How do they compare?

How does the infrastructure compare to the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've never been to asia, but have always read that Singapore's airport, asia, hong kong, china, they are all pretty much world class vs those in the US. How do they compare?

How does the infrastructure compare to the US?
No comparison, at least to aging (and embarassing) relics like LAX. Both Changi (Singapore) and Hong Kong are state of the art beautiful modern airports. Changi arguably the best and most advanced airport in the world. The other experiences I had in far east "hub" airports are with Shanghai - modern as well, Narita (Tokyo) - modern but laid out kind of strange and bad gate seating.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM

4,868 posts, read 3,383,810 times
Yes indeed. Orchard Towers. Known locally as the four floors of wh*res.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes indeed. Orchard Towers. Known locally as the four floors of wh*res.
Ha...was wondering if anyone would catch that.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 8,086 times
it's Soul is Singapore City. Actually it has only Soul, No other body parts

Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
I am the original poster and my wife and I have just returned from our 8 day visit to 'Singers'.
By the way, refering to Singapore as "Singers" is probably like uninformed non-californians refering to San Fransico as "Frisco". It's an anachronism.

Anyways, jokes about Orchard Towers aside, I think the souless nature has more to do with the strict consensual group behavior, combined with laws and politics. And to a certain degree you have this in all large cities where people live on top of each other - the needs of the group are greater than the needs of the individual. But no where else is it greater than Singapore, at least for one purporting to be a democratic society. Getting the lash for litering, outlawing gum, death penalty for drug possession, laws against free speach, boatloads of foreign workers to do the dirty work. All in this apparant perfect society, the people don't complain - it's safe, it's clean, it's prosperious, and at least the illusion of freedom is intact, because to do otherwise is to upset this perfect balance. But there is a cost to all this - lack of individuality, lack of personal freedom, lack of personality.... lack of soul.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM

" Singers" was a term mostly used British military people stationed there up to the 70's when the UK pulled their forces off the island.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM

102 posts, read 147,398 times
Quote:
" Singers" was a term mostly used British military people stationed there up to the 70's when the UK pulled their forces off the island.
Correct. And as one who spent time in 'Singers' during the 60s, I was using it as an expression of nostalgic fondness.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Spudee. Britannia Club or Golden Venus ring a bell?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM

102 posts, read 147,398 times
Quote:
Spudee. Britannia Club or Golden Venus ring a bell?
Oh Boy!!!!! Don't take me back to those dens of iniquity! I spent many a happy night at the Golden P...s! Sorry, Golden Venus, at the top of Orchard Road. Ah, the memories keep flooding back. Not so much time at the Brit Club. Who were you with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or