U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM

5,777 posts, read 3,778,921 times

Advertisements

Spudee. US Marine stationed at the American Embassy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM

102 posts, read 150,068 times
You and I both know Singapore was very different back then and it certainly had tons more soul! But we've both watched it change and grow into one of the most progressive and successful nations on earth. But it was good to be a young man in Singapore when the tallest building, I think, was the 7 storey Singapura Intercontinental Hotel on Orchard Road!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 35,953 times
Yes, Singapore is my favorite city in Asia.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,988,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've never been to asia, but have always read that Singapore's airport, asia, hong kong, china, they are all pretty much world class vs those in the US. How do they compare?

How does the infrastructure compare to the US?
Like another poster has said, no comparison. Speaking of infrastructure, their wireless technology is also better. I've never experienced or seen any dropped calls during my ride up & down Hongkong's subways. Here in the US? Forget about it!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,511,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've never been to asia, but have always read that Singapore's airport, asia, hong kong, china, they are all pretty much world class vs those in the US. How do they compare?

How does the infrastructure compare to the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No comparison, at least to aging (and embarassing) relics like LAX. Both Changi (Singapore) and Hong Kong are state of the art beautiful modern airports. Changi arguably the best and most advanced airport in the world. The other experiences I had in far east "hub" airports are with Shanghai - modern as well, Narita (Tokyo) - modern but laid out kind of strange and bad gate seating.
This is spot on, can tell you have traveled those airport as have I. Thats the best of the lot. Changi and Hong Kong are way better than any airport I have been to. Changi is a bit better and has more features and is by far the best and cheapest airport to waste time in while your waiting on a flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Like another poster has said, no comparison. Speaking of infrastructure, their wireless technology is also better. I've never experienced or seen any dropped calls during my ride up & down Hongkong's subways. Here in the US? Forget about it!
The infrastructure in Japan and Singapore are both overall top notch, both are typically better than what you will find in the US. Lots of larger cities in Texas though probably match up pretty good except for public transportation. I think Singapore is ahead of Japan though because the train system in Japan takes a little getting used to, where as Singapores MRT is very intuitive. Singapore is currently doing massive public infrastructure upgrades, they are already top notch in this area so I would assume that as they complete these upgrades they will be even farther ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or