U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 PM
 
102 posts, read 147,337 times
Reputation: 114

Advertisements

I have always enjoyed Singapore since my first visit as a young Aussie soldier back in 1967. A very different place then to the Singapore of today. The tallest building was the 7 storey (I think) Singapura Intercontinental Hotel on Orchard Road where we drank and listened to jazz.

My wife and I are heading back to Singers' in June for 8 nights and are really looking forward to the holiday. Recently, I mentioned our forthcoming trip to a medical specialist I was seeing and he asked me why we chose Singapore. I told him that we enjoyed the food, cleanliness and security of the place and that we just felt comfortable there. He replied that he had been to Singapore quite a few times, usually for medical conferences and found the City/State souless and its citizen to be unsmiling automatons who seemed to just go about their day to day activities with little happiness, friendliness and enjoyment. He suggested that many other destinations offered much more of the 'real Asia' and that Singapore lacked any soul and character.

We still enjoy our Singapore trips but I can see his point.

How do Singaporeans feel about this?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 1,843,786 times
Reputation: 944
i've been to singapore only once, back in 2005, and i could see back then the specialist's point. as nice as singapore was then (its cleanliness particularly), much of it felt artificial and robotic, as if it had no natural beauty or native cultre to be proud of. i'd rather go to south korea, thailand or vietnam for food, culture and sightseeing. im dying to go to south korea!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: VA
1,197 posts, read 1,602,177 times
Reputation: 1070
I enjoy visiting Singapore because it's like a microcosm of that corner of SE Asia. Actually venturing out into the Singaporean heartland beyond the shopping districts trying to find the best hawker centers is where I found the good stuff, areas designed for locals not tourists. I think to most visitors, they don't see the Singapore outside Orchard Road or Mandalay Bay and that's unfortunate because I've found that off the beaten path is where the action gets interesting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
I have always enjoyed Singapore since my first visit as a young Aussie soldier back in 1967. A very different place then to the Singapore of today. The tallest building was the 7 storey (I think) Singapura Intercontinental Hotel on Orchard Road where we drank and listened to jazz.

My wife and I are heading back to Singers' in June for 8 nights and are really looking forward to the holiday. Recently, I mentioned our forthcoming trip to a medical specialist I was seeing and he asked me why we chose Singapore. I told him that we enjoyed the food, cleanliness and security of the place and that we just felt comfortable there. He replied that he had been to Singapore quite a few times, usually for medical conferences and found the City/State souless and its citizen to be unsmiling automatons who seemed to just go about their day to day activities with little happiness, friendliness and enjoyment. He suggested that many other destinations offered much more of the 'real Asia' and that Singapore lacked any soul and character.

We still enjoy our Singapore trips but I can see his point.

How do Singaporeans feel about this?
Singapore has just as much soul as anywhere else in Asia. China or Korea or Japan doesn't have any MORE soul.

My guess is the friend associates Asia with poverty and cheap things like cheap beer, cheap people, and such? If he's not seeing that, he thinks its lost its soul?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 AM
kyh
 
Location: Malaysia & Singapore
383 posts, read 1,061,470 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I enjoy visiting Singapore because it's like a microcosm of that corner of SE Asia. Actually venturing out into the Singaporean heartland beyond the shopping districts trying to find the best hawker centers is where I found the good stuff, areas designed for locals not tourists. I think to most visitors, they don't see the Singapore outside Orchard Road or Mandalay Bay and that's unfortunate because I've found that off the beaten path is where the action gets interesting.
Marina Bay, you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Singapore has just as much soul as anywhere else in Asia. China or Korea or Japan doesn't have any MORE soul.

My guess is the friend associates Asia with poverty and cheap things like cheap beer, cheap people, and such? If he's not seeing that, he thinks its lost its soul?
Singaporeans are not those that warm up to you real quick at first meet. Many are quite reserved with their emotions and do not really show it on their faces. And the pace of life is super fast - most would rush to catch for trains or to work and have little time to pause, smile and observe the surroundings. And everyone will be staring at the displays of their iphones/ipads/samsungs whenever, wherever!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 1,843,786 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I enjoy visiting Singapore because it's like a microcosm of that corner of SE Asia. Actually venturing out into the Singaporean heartland beyond the shopping districts trying to find the best hawker centers is where I found the good stuff, areas designed for locals not tourists. I think to most visitors, they don't see the Singapore outside Orchard Road or Mandalay Bay and that's unfortunate because I've found that off the beaten path is where the action gets interesting.
i agree, it's always the less developed places where you get more of the feel of the place. however, singapore is so well-developed that there's less places like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 3,934,653 times
Reputation: 3234
Singapore is very expensive. But, it has a great selection of food styles. You can get the same, however, up in Malaysia for cheaper prices. If soul = funky old buildings, there are a few sections still left in Singapore, but not many.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Singapore
110 posts, read 215,557 times
Reputation: 81
I agree 100% with your friend that Singapore has no soul or character, its an emotionless city it actually came first in a recent survey as been the most emotionless city which for me that's been here over 3yrs was not surprised

S'poreans not only emotionless but unhappy as well

This is only my personal opinion but you will hear it from many foreigners that work here also, as a place to visit for 8 days I would feel this would be too long to just stay in Singapore, if my parents or friends visit we will stay in Singapore for a weekend then go to other places within Asia which imo have much more character and soul than here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM
 
1,446 posts, read 1,843,786 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyhate View Post
I agree 100% with your friend that Singapore has no soul or character, its an emotionless city it actually came first in a recent survey as been the most emotionless city which for me that's been here over 3yrs was not surprised

S'poreans not only emotionless but unhappy as well

This is only my personal opinion but you will hear it from many foreigners that work here also, as a place to visit for 8 days I would feel this would be too long to just stay in Singapore, if my parents or friends visit we will stay in Singapore for a weekend then go to other places within Asia which imo have much more character and soul than here.
oh my gosh, 8 days to stay in singapore? imagine the expense and the boredom! i'd stay there for a day or two, no more than that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Derby, Western Australia
3,091 posts, read 3,535,820 times
Reputation: 2154
It's like any other large rich city, it's infected by the rat-race mentality which is exacerbated by an uncompetitive electoral system, and a lack of job security or a safety net of any kind.

That said I find most people there are still friendly deep down despite their stresses and overall it provides a more comfortable and safe quality of life than most other places in Asia. Perhaps it's not as 'exotic' but no-one there is really willing to move elsewhere outside of Hong Kong.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top