U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,412,150 times

Advertisements

The only thing I noticed in Vietnam that had a French ring to it was French style coffee in Hanoi. I might have met two or three very old people who could speak French
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,976,777 times
Which country got the most influence from previous French-Indo China? Do the Vietnam received more French Influence than Thailand, Laos and Cambodia which it used to be part of the French-Indo China?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM

10,436 posts, read 12,461,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Which country got the most influence from previous French-Indo China? Do the Vietnam received more French Influence than Thailand, Laos and Cambodia which it used to be part of the French-Indo China?
Thailand wasn't part of French Indochina.

Most French Influence:
1.Vietnam
2.Cambodia
3.Laos

Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,976,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Thailand wasn't part of French Indochina.

Most French Influence:
1.Vietnam
2.Cambodia
3.Laos
ooppss lol I thought Thailand was part of it. I guess I have to read more about this info. My great-great grandfather went
there when it was still a French Indochina.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,724,799 times
Thumbs up Ain't that the truth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only thing I noticed in Vietnam that had a French ring to it was French style coffee in Hanoi. I might have met two or three very old people who could speak French
Exactly.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,512,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Exactly.
So the architecture, introduction of quoc ngu, baguettes and French pastries, french fries, cafe culture have nothing to do with the French? I'm not saying the influence is/was pervasive, but it's definitely noticeable.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,874,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So the architecture, introduction of quoc ngu, baguettes and French pastries, french fries, cafe culture have nothing to do with the French? I'm not saying the influence is/was pervasive, but it's definitely noticeable.
Yes, this is also what I have been saying for the inspiration and connections between Vietnam-France being mostly subtle while also being noticeable to realize even in modern times. This topic is very interesting and entertaining for getting to know very well.

However, fries is actually from Belgium and not from France, even while having the false name.

French cuisine is actually varied, exciting, and one of the best cuisines in the world, at least in the top 10. French cuisine is a lot more than bread/baguettes, and is surprisingly quite complex/diverse, and tasty when getting to know the cuisine well: tomato basil quiche, bacon mushroom quiche, french toast (similar to pancakes with maple syrup+fruits inside pancakes), chocolate almond crossaints, soufflés, soups, crème brulee.

However, I know most Asian cuisines win in this category if I said more.

The café bar scene in Saigon is amazing and certainly shows obvious French influence: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam When you visited Vietnam, did you see the other Vietnamese cities/towns having a similar cafe bar scene and French colonial architecture? Have you also met and encountered French people of Vietnamese heritage?

Maybe there is some inspiration in Vietnam's film scene, especially for a prominent French actress of Vietnamese heritage: Linh Dan Pham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is around 250,000 to 300,000 people of Vietnamese ethnic heritage living in France, and one of the largest immigrant communities for any nationality in France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam...ople_in_France

Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Yes, this is also what I have been saying for the inspiration and connections between Vietnam-France being mostly subtle while also being noticeable to realize even in modern times. This topic is very interesting and entertaining for getting to know very well.

However, fries is actually from Belgium and not from France, even while having the false name.

French cuisine is actually varied, exciting, and one of the best cuisines in the world, at least in the top 10. French cuisine is a lot more than bread/baguettes, and is surprisingly quite complex/diverse, and tasty when getting to know the cuisine well: tomato basil quiche, bacon mushroom quiche, french toast (similar to pancakes with maple syrup+fruits inside pancakes), chocolate almond crossaints, soufflés, soups, crème brulee.

However, I know most Asian cuisines win in this category if I said more.

The café bar scene in Saigon is amazing and certainly shows obvious French influence: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam When you visited Vietnam, did you see the other Vietnamese cities/towns having a similar cafe bar scene and French colonial architecture? Have you also met and encountered French people of Vietnamese heritage?

Maybe there is some inspiration in Vietnam's film scene, especially for a prominent French actress of Vietnamese heritage: Linh Dan Pham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is around 250,000 to 300,000 people of Vietnamese ethnic heritage living in France, and one of the largest immigrant communities for any nationality in France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam...ople_in_France
I was going to say, maybe the French fries were also a result of American influence during the Vietnam War?

Vietnam is actually the best place in Asia for French food IMO...at least aside from the high end stuff you'll find in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore. A lot of somewhat affordable French restaurants, many run by French people.

Hanoi also has a vibrant cafe scene. Some nice cafes there. I actually have met a French Vietnamese guy, well half Vietnamese, half Chinese. Yes he spoke English with a French accent and French was his first language.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,874,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to say, maybe the French fries were also a result of American influence during the Vietnam War?

Vietnam is actually the best place in Asia for French food IMO...at least aside from the high end stuff you'll find in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore. A lot of somewhat affordable French restaurants, many run by French people.

Hanoi also has a vibrant cafe scene. Some nice cafes there. I actually have met a French Vietnamese guy, well half Vietnamese, half Chinese. Yes he spoke English with a French accent and French was his first language.
Is the French cuisine very authentic in Vietnam, even if being the best place in Asia for this cuisine? This includes some restaurants in Vietnam having various quiches, soufflés, soups, breads/cheeses, french toast pancakes, crème brulee, croissants, desserts, etc. I assume most of the cafes probably sell some of the best related food.

French fries is actually originally from Belgium and not France, despite the name. Most of French cuisine having no relations to it.

I overall have near equal preference for Vietnamese and French cuisine and they are some of my favorite cuisines with Mexican. However, I like Thai, Indian, Singaporean, Malaysian, Chinese, Italian cuisine even more, so they are 7th to 9th place.

The independent café bar scene in Saigon appears very impressive, and valuable for the city of Saigon. This might even qualify for having one of the best café bar scenes in the world based on photos, very surprising and unknown to most of the world. Most cafes in Saigon appear to have free computer wifi.

This is good news if Hanoi is having a similar café bar scene, and this might be true even for Hoi An.

Outside of this category, all 3 Vietnamese cities have a wealth of cultural attractions, and being very balanced for what they offer to visitors.

The French-Vietnam relations and connections definitely exists, and is noticeable, even if mostly very subtle.

When you met someone being French of Vietnamese ethnic heritage, did this person say the experience and opinions for the country of France, and being mostly positive?

I met a French Vietnamese, British Vietnamese, and German Vietnamese and all three people said they have a positive, good experience, and view of those European countries, and most of the community having similar opinions. However, more mixed opinions for UK with the British Vietnamese. There is a relatively large Vietnamese community in all 3 of those European countries, especially in France.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Is the French cuisine very authentic in Vietnam, even if being the best place in Asia for this cuisine? This includes some restaurants in Vietnam having various quiches, soufflés, soups, breads/cheeses, french toast pancakes, crème brulee, croissants, desserts, etc. I assume most of the cafes probably sell some of the best related food.

French fries is actually originally from Belgium and not France, despite the name. Most of French cuisine having no relations to it.

I overall have near equal preference for Vietnamese and French cuisine and they are some of my favorite cuisines with Mexican. However, I like Thai, Indian, Singaporean, Malaysian, Chinese, Italian cuisine even more, so they are 7th to 9th place.

The independent café bar scene in Saigon appears very impressive, and valuable for the city of Saigon. This might even qualify for having one of the best café bar scenes in the world based on photos, very surprising and unknown to most of the world. Most cafes in Saigon appear to have free computer wifi.

This is good news if Hanoi is having a similar café bar scene, and this might be true even for Hoi An.

Outside of this category, all 3 Vietnamese cities have a wealth of cultural attractions, and being very balanced for what they offer to visitors.

The French-Vietnam relations and connections definitely exists, and is noticeable, even if mostly very subtle.

When you met someone being French of Vietnamese ethnic heritage, did this person say the experience and opinions for the country of France, and being mostly positive?

I met a French Vietnamese, British Vietnamese, and German Vietnamese and all three people said they have a positive, good experience, and view of those European countries, and most of the community having similar opinions. However, more mixed opinions for UK with the British Vietnamese. There is a relatively large Vietnamese community in all 3 of those European countries, especially in France.
I haven't been to France or had a lot of French food so I can't say how authentic it is, but since many were owned and run by French people I assume they were. Of course not all of the ingredients would be readily available in Vietnam. I dined at the restaurant at the Metropole Hotel in Hanoi, the most famous hotel in Hanoi (many famous celebs stayed there) which had excellent food. The waiter was friendly and had an interest in wines, I think he did or was thinking of doing a wine-making course in France. I think quite a few Vietnamese dream of one day at least visiting Paris, so there is some connection to France as a cultural parent in some people, but probably not to the degree of say how Singaporeans view the UK.

Hoi An was my favourite place in Vietnam, because it had an old villagey feel - a lot of the streets didn't allow traffic only pedestrians, it had a lot of beautiful old buildings, and the food was all round delicious. It's getting a bit touristy though. Some of the pastries were nice. Vietnamese coffee is a bit strong and sweet though.

I didn't ask him too much about life in France. I think the idea of Asian Europeans, aside from British ones, is still a novelty for many people. Most people in the world are used to American, Canadian, Australian or British Asian people but less so German or French. I think Vietnamese are more likely to retain some of their culture, such as speaking the language, vs some other groups, but I'm not sure how much they've integrated.

If you have any more questions about Vietnam don't hesitate to ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or