U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,851,984 times

Advertisements

In terms of history in the past, France and Vietnam definitely had connections and relations to each other. Vietnam was part of the French empire during the years of 1887 to 1940, so for at least 50 years/5 decades during this time.

For the 1940s to 1990s, I assume France and Vietnam did not have the best relations and some conflict, but since 2000 they appear to get along much better and a positive revival in French-Vietnam relations.

In modern times, this appears quite ambiguous and enigmatic for the level of French influence and connections to Vietnam.

However, Vietnam does actually have some subtle French influence in modern times with some remnants of French colonial architecture, café bar scene in some cities, a huge amount of Vietnamese people that immigrated and moved to France+having family members in Vietnam, and maybe even the film movie scene:French Influence

The city of Saigon/Ho Chi Minh in Southern Vietnam’s amazing cafe bar scene definitely shows some French influence in design, and some cafes even have French names such as for Le Fenetre Soleil, L’Anmien, Paris Baguette Café: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam

There is around 250,000 to 300,000 people of Vietnamese ethnic heritage living in France, and one of the largest immigrant communities for any nationality in France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam...ople_in_France

This person is a prominent French actress of Vietnamese heritage in some French movies and senior marketing manager: Linh Dan Pham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The French people of Vietnamese heritage probably have a lot of family members that continue to live in Vietnam and visiting them over there.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-23-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
In terms of history in the past, France and Vietnam definitely had connections and relations to each other. Vietnam was part of the French empire during the years of 1887 to 1940, so for at least 50 years/5 decades during this time.

For the 1940s to 1990s, I assume France and Vietnam did not have the best relations and some conflict, but since 2000 they appear to get along much better and a positive revival in French-Vietnam relations.

In modern times, this appears quite ambiguous and enigmatic for the level of French influence and connections to Vietnam.

However, Vietnam does actually have some subtle French influence in modern times with some remnants of French colonial architecture, café bar scene in some cities, a huge amount of Vietnamese people that immigrated and moved to France+having family members in Vietnam, and maybe even the film movie scene:French Influence

huh? "huge amount"? 200,000 is hardly what I'd call a huge amount.

The city of Saigon/Ho Chi Minh in Southern Vietnam’s amazing cafe bar scene definitely shows some French influence in design, and some cafes even have French names such as for Le Fenetre Soleil, L’Anmien, Paris Baguette Café: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam

It's a big city. For every cafe with a French name, you'll find 100 with an English name.

There is around 250,000 to 300,000 people of Vietnamese ethnic heritage living in France, and one of the largest immigrant communities for any nationality in France.

Nope. 250 max. Probably less than that.

This person is a prominent French actress of Vietnamese heritage in some French movies and senior marketing manager: Linh Dan Pham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The French people of Vietnamese heritage probably have a lot of family members that continue to live in Vietnam and visiting them over there.
I spent 7 weeks in Vietnam. You're grasping for straws here. You've got to be French. The world doesn't revolve around you. Vietnam is fine the way it is. Nobody wants any "French influence". Luckily, there's none. That's not what's called "influence". There is Western influence, of course.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I spent 7 weeks in Vietnam. You're grasping for straws here. You've got to be French. The world does revolve around plenty of countries in the world. Vietnam is fine the way it is. Everybody wants "French influence". Luckily, there is plenty of French influence. That's not what's called "influence". There is Western influenceof course.

huh? "huge amount"? 200,000 is harddly what I'd call a huge amount. Nope. 250 max. Probably lesss than that.

It's a big city. For every cafe with a French name, you'll find 100 with an English name.
A lot of people would view this to be a very informative, specific, interesting, surprising, and exciting topic. Most people would agree.

The French connections to Vietnam definitely exists, at least mostly in history, but also some subtle influence in modern times, so this topic is worthwhile to get to know well.

You spent 7 weeks in Vietnam? Those statistics was in 2006 for number of people in France having Vietnamese ethnic heritage, so probably even more than 250,000 in 2013 and a huge amount of people.

I am not French. I am American, but I consider myself a World citizen, and I have plenty of favorite countries, including France, USA, and 25 other countries. This shouldn’t go off topic... This is about France-Vietnam connections+influence, not only about France.

Saigon appears to have an even amount of French, Vietnamese, and English named café bars, but plenty have French names and design in café bar scene.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,969,348 times
Quote:
A lot of people would view this to be a very informative, specific, interesting, surprising, and exciting topic. Most people would agree.

The French connections to Vietnam definitely exists, at least mostly in history, but also some subtle influence in modern times, so this topic is worthwhile to get to know well.

You spent 7 weeks in Vietnam? Those statistics was in 2006 for number of people in France having Vietnamese ethnic heritage, so probably even more than 250,000 in 2013 and a huge amount of people.

I am not French. I am American, but I consider myself a World citizen, and I have plenty of favorite countries, including France, USA, and 25 other countries. This shouldn’t go off topic... This is about France-Vietnam connections+influence, not only about France.

Saigon appears to have an even amount of French, Vietnamese, and English named café bars, but plenty have French names and design in café bar scene.
I guess one of the influence is this
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/herea...Sa%20Dec-4.jpg
^bread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
I see French influence everywhere in Vietnam. Hanoi's French Quarter....but not just that, but much of Hanoi and Saigon are built of a French colonial style. Than you have things like baguettes and various French breads (which is unusual, as most of Asia, it's always been rice).

On top of that, the times I've been to Vietnam (twice for a month each), I've overheard and seen many many many French tourists all over the place.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, France's crappy economic situation probably sent the numbers through the roof.

Sure, I've seen German restaurants, too. Chinese restaurants.. cafes, bars etc.
They don't need more. They need LESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I see French influence everywhere in Vietnam. Hanoi's French Quarter....but not just that, but much of Hanoi and Saigon are built of a French colonial style. Than you have things like baguettes and various French breads (which is unusual, as most of Asia, it's always been rice).

On top of that, the times I've been to Vietnam (twice for a month each), I've overheard and seen many many many French tourists all over the place.
Have you actually been to the "French Quarter", Sai Gon AND France? I have. Many times, actually. You've got to be talking about a handful of buildings.

Banh Mi isn't even like a Baguette. A Baguette looks different. There are also a crap load of German tourists. And British tourists. It just dosen't make anything there "German" or "British".

Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Have you actually been to the "French Quarter", Sai Gon AND France? I have. Many times, actually. You've got to be talking about a handful of buildings.

Banh Mi isn't even like a Baguette. A Baguette looks different. There are also a crap load of German tourists. And British tourists. It just dosen't make anything there "German" or "British".
Yes, I spent two months in Vietnam, including a month in Hanoi in the French Quarter. That's French colonial architecture. Those baguettes originally came from France. Those are facts, that aren't even in debate.

If you look among those British and German tourists that you see, you'll also see and hear French tourists too. Plenty of them. If you haven't seen them or heard them, it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Yes, I've also been to France. Why is that important? Does that give me credibility for recognizing colonial French things, which by definition with the 'colonial' word in them, are a bit different? If you were expecting them to be exactly the same, you shouldn't have.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yes, I spent two months in Vietnam, including a month in Hanoi in the French Quarter. That's French colonial architecture. Those baguettes originally came from France. Those are facts, that aren't even in debate.

Nobody cares where they got the banh mi from. Dosen't look like a Baguette.

If you look among those British and German tourists that you see, you'll also see and hear French tourists too. Plenty of them. If you haven't seen them or heard them, it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Dosen't make anything French.

Yes, I've also been to France. Why is that important? Does that give me credibility for recognizing colonial French things, which by definition with the 'colonial' word in them, are a bit different? If you were expecting them to be exactly the same, you shouldn't have.
There's barely anything "French" in Viet Nam, and that's perfectly fine. We don't want or need this.
It's ridiculous to say XYZ is French, American, German etc. just because a handful of things were borrowed from/introduced by them. If that was the case, entire France is American.
Cultural borrowing happens everywhere. It dosen't mean anything.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
There's barely anything "French" in Viet Nam. I want more French influence.

France's mixed economic situation probably sent the numbers through the roof, but I rather live in France and not Germany.

It's ridiculous to say XYZ is French, American, German etc. just because a handful of things were borrowed from/introduced by them. If that was the case, entire America is French.
Cultural borrowing happens everywhere. It dosenn'tt mean anyything.
This was certainly a very false interpretation for an excellent and intriguing topic that is capturing interest.

The economic situation in France is similar to UK, and USA, so more good than bad based on international economic standards, and this does not have any connections to the French relations and influence in Vietnam.

Vietnam obviously possesses a unique and prominent national ethnic identity that is very Vietnamese Southeast Asian. However, Vietnam does have existing historical relations with France and there even continues to be some very subtle but noticeable French influence in modern Vietnam.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I guess one of the influence is this
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/herea...Sa%20Dec-4.jpg
^bread
French cuisine is a lot more than bread/baguettes, and is surprisingly quite complex/diverse, and tasty when getting to know the cuisine well: tomato basil quiche, bacon mushroom quiche, french toast (similar to pancakes with maple syrup+fruits inside pancakes), chocolate almond crossaints, soufflés, soups, crème brulee.

I used to view traditional French food to be mediocre, but now I see it being one of the best, most exciting food cuisines in the world with Thai, Indian, Singaporean, Malaysian, Italian, French, Chinese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Lebanese, Japenese, Peruvian in exact order.

Vietnem might have some of the authentic traditional French cuisine in the food scene over there outside of the various breads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or