U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,346,592 times

Advertisements

Om Bee, I too, have enjoyed reading everyone's posts! Have never been to KZ (sigh...one of these days) But talking with people from other parts of the world is just fascinating! (FWIW, I was disappointed with Borat; I was hoping for more sophisticated humor...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,799,854 times
This has been such an interesting thread. Thank you, Om Bee, and to those of you who helped paint such a vivid picture of Kz. I would love to have a job that took me to that part of the world so that I could experience it fully.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM

469 posts, read 2,556,194 times
Hi Om Bee! I was wondering how people date in Kazakhstan. My friend is from Turkmenistan, and he says that in his country men and women don't usually date like Americans do, or if they do they kind of sneak around behind their parents backs. They certainly wouldn't live together before marriage or have children before marriage. So how do Kazakhs go out on dates? Are marriages arranged, or is that a thing of the past?

What's a Kazakh wedding like? In Istanbul I was lucky enough to be invited to a wedding party (not the actual wedding. I think they just did Nikah at a mosque and then everyone went to the dinner and party). The bride wore a white wedding gown like any bride in the USA. Everyone linked arms and danced in circles. It was very fun.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 AM

31 posts, read 127,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Om Bee, I too, have enjoyed reading everyone's posts! Have never been to KZ (sigh...one of these days) But talking with people from other parts of the world is just fascinating! (FWIW, I was disappointed with Borat; I was hoping for more sophisticated humor...)
Hi, Crew Chief.

Thank you for your interest in my topic.

I'm not disappointed with Borat, even so, I don't like that kind of humor, I'm admiring his talant and bravery to go with scenario like that.
Kazakhstan government was pissed off and treatened Cohen to sue, but when President Nazarbaev visited Britain for ... I don't know what...., everything is melowed down and Sasha Cohen even received invitation from kazakhstanian government. Sure he rejected, ahd I'm not blaming him for that.

About 2 years ago was topic about Sasha's new character on the kazakhstanian forum. People was furious. They promissed that if Cohen ever will visit Kazakhstan, they going to "kill" him in some dark place.

My opinion - there is should be difference between politics and entertainment. Other wise - why even produce any form of art? Borat was denied for the showing on territory of Kazakhstan, "300" was denied to be shown on territory of Iran. Why? Maybe low self-esteem of nations? Or absense to separate entertainment from the politics? Austria didn't put any taboo on Cohen production, America either...

My regards.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
This has been such an interesting thread. Thank you, Om Bee, and to those of you who helped paint such a vivid picture of Kz. I would love to have a job that took me to that part of the world so that I could experience it fully.
Hi, HIF!

Thank you for your interest, but I would think twice before go to work in Kazakhstan, unless you would have protection from your company on its territory or protection of the local government, which is corrupt. Better way to experience - go by turist visa.

Best regards.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Hi Om Bee! I was wondering how people date in Kazakhstan. My friend is from Turkmenistan, and he says that in his country men and women don't usually date like Americans do, or if they do they kind of sneak around behind their parents backs. They certainly wouldn't live together before marriage or have children before marriage. So how do Kazakhs go out on dates? Are marriages arranged, or is that a thing of the past?

What's a Kazakh wedding like? In Istanbul I was lucky enough to be invited to a wedding party (not the actual wedding. I think they just did Nikah at a mosque and then everyone went to the dinner and party). The bride wore a white wedding gown like any bride in the USA. Everyone linked arms and danced in circles. It was very fun.
Hi, Mississippienne!

Dating in Kazakhstan very close to european way of dating in the cities. Some country men still holding traditions on dating between their children.

In cities it is normal just to meet with each other and go together to the movie, mountains, theatres, etc. If you are interested if people have sex before marriage - some do, some do not.

Yes, marriages arranged and depending what kind of wedding they'll prefer. I'm talking about cities. Some go just for mariage sertificat in the government office and that's it. Some deside to do very big wedding party and usually it is so fun with different types of games before groom can reach his bride through walls of relatives. Then they go to the government office for registration, then traveling through historical sites of the city, and at the end go either to the restaurant or to somebody's house to selebrate and party. Some, after government registration would go to the church of their religion and do registration by church also, then party.

Country side - native people, usualy they have to give monney to the parents of the bride, calls "kalym". Then wedding going to be arranged and usually parents from both sides will deside how it will be done. But big party going to be hold anyway.

My regards.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Bee
3. More open minded about nudity in art (Kazakhstan), in US - seems to be so many people appretiate it, but not always it is accepted in the public.
Major plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Bee
Oh! "Borat"!!!

Film itself was filmed in, I believe, in Hungary, or some other eastern european country.
I read that it was Romania.

-----------

Okay, my general knowledge of Kazakhstan.

Almaty has suddenly became a very wealthy city with the most money and wealth in the Central Asia region. In addition, it also has the highest cost of living making it more difficult to live in if you don't have the right education, job, etc.

I've heard that women are incredibly good-looking in the region.

I've also read about the different ethnicities, predominately Russian and Kazakh and even a little bit Korean, Uzbeki, etc. Sounds real interesting.

I also heard they are planning to change from a cryllic writing script to a latin based writing script. That is interesting.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Major plus.

I read that it was Romania.

-----------

Okay, my general knowledge of Kazakhstan.

Almaty has suddenly became a very wealthy city with the most money and wealth in the Central Asia region. In addition, it also has the highest cost of living making it more difficult to live in if you don't have the right education, job, etc.

I've heard that women are incredibly good-looking in the region.

I've also read about the different ethnicities, predominately Russian and Kazakh and even a little bit Korean, Uzbeki, etc. Sounds real interesting.

I also heard they are planning to change from a cryllic writing script to a latin based writing script. That is interesting.

Hello, Tigerrrr Beeeeer!

Yep, you are right probably about country where film was made. I looked a few episodes on youtube and it was enough for me to appretiate Cohen.
On kazakhstanian forum, from where they kicked me out recently, some member told that turism grown 5 times after the film. But they are still not appretiating it.

A! Almaty... It was capital of the Kazakhstan until Mr.Nazarbayev (president for the life) deside to move capital closer to Russia in case of nuclear war. So, now capital is Astana (which means capital on kazakh language: read like capital is Capital) and Almaty cultural center of Kazakhstan.

I never could understand their high pricing on everything - some condos going with the price that will bit US price for the much better place to live.

Women, women... Oh, yea. Some consider them very pretty. Maybe because a lot of mixed marriges from the time of the Soviet? Don't know.

Yeap, yeap, - by statistic there is 120 different nationalities, but power holders are kazakhs. Lately some political party told that Kazakhstan only for the kazakhs and I'm wondering now very much - who is going to work on manufactures, because all kazakh people in the government or managment positions.

Ha! About language... First it was arabic script, then latin, then cirrilic, now flipping back? It is OK, because big % of kazakhs hardly know their own language, so it wouldn't matter what they will change. More than half population speaking Russian and it is cirrilic script. Just big mess about language. Instead of to do some good social work for the poor people or for the ecology, they prefered spend the monney on some, I would say, interesting projects... Very smart decision

Did you heard that rockets falling down from the sky in places where people live? That is really bad ju-ju. And city Ust-Kamenogorsk is listed like 30 dirties places on Earth? Doctors started project to learn about changes in people genetic, because place is so poluted... WB gave monney for the cleaning air and water with paragraph in contract to start it immideatly and it was in Feb. 2007. So far - nothing, maybe preparing something? Like group of managers for the project? Maybe...

Best regards.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:06 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,712,645 times
Kazakhstan...
I have some questions:

Most people in Kazakhstan look Asian, or have slanted eyes correct?

What about Kazakhstan do you miss most?

do you know any other Kazakhs in the US besides your family, I know they are here...

What city do you live in? Is there a lot of Kazakhs there?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Kazakhstan...
I have some questions:

Most people in Kazakhstan look Asian, or have slanted eyes correct?

What about Kazakhstan do you miss most?

do you know any other Kazakhs in the US besides your family, I know they are here...

What city do you live in? Is there a lot of Kazakhs there?

Hello, CMDallas!

Thank you for your questions. I'll try to answer first one correctly.

1. With the look of people in Kazakhstan - it is very varry, just because over there more than 120 nationalities on its territory and some number of mixed marriges over the history. If you'll go northern Kazakhstan - you'll encounter more slavic looking population, because of the border with Russia and a lot of russian people was forced to live in Kazakhstan during of period of the Soviet, but even before that russian tsar was establishing his power over that land.
Also a lot of slavic looking people living in Almaty - now cultural center of the Kazakhstan. A lot of germans were also transport over there during WWII and after. There are a lot of korean people, ukranians, turks, uygurs, tatars, mongols, etc.
Asian looking people, I would say, are koreans and chineese, mongols. Kazakhs themselves very often mistaken for the asians, but one has to live overthere for a while to encounter the difference. Originally, at least how I know it from the history, kazakh people had red or light color hair and light color eyes. Sometimes in the central or northern cities of Kazakhstan you can see people like that, but a very few. After tatar-mongol intervention on Kazakhstan territory which was last more than 100 years (Chingiz Khan and his Gold Orda) I guess genetic of kazakhs was altered once and forever with domination of the mongols genetic which is very asian. But, at the same time, they look different, than original mongols and very upset when somebody is mistaken them for the asians. Their eyes are much more open, often very european nose. Sometimes one could see so beauty the same like within male or female. I saw women who had very black (asian) hair, but blue, grey or green eyes, very petitte nose and wonderfull full lips. A saw a men who had black (asian - very straight) hair, roman nose, grey or green eyes. I think asian look is identifyable by high cheeks, straight (asian) dark hair (even so not with everyone), dark eyes which are often looks like asians type, but more open, and sometimes asian type of nose. So, very often kazakh people could be mistaken for the asians, but they are very touchy about that. Once, when I was working in one company I talked with one of my co-worker who spent over two or three years in USA studing - he was very "pissed" that americans called him "oriental". So, how I wrote above - one should spend some time in that part of the world to start to see the difference between different nationalities. And it is so normal for the people around the world, who wouldn't know differences, unless it is their study topic, or, perhaps, their proffesion, or just personal deep interest.

2. Mountains!!! In Almaty (city) where I was born - anywhere you go you can see them. And even at summer time (if it is not very hot summer) it is possible to see snow at some tops. Very beautiful! And when you acctually going there for the trip - it's like you are entering another world in another dimention which is taking your breath away by it's natural beauty. But one should be very carefull exploring places alone. As it is beautifull - the same it is very dangerous! I did that by myself once at winter time - thanks god I'm alive! Instead of taking normal road that lead to the Big Almaty's lake, I decided go straight over the mountain side. And already almost at the destination I did stupid thing that could cost me my life - I jumped from my projected path into unknown for me side and ended up in the snow reaching my neck... Could be much worse, so. I can see my destination point, but hardly can move. It took me about 30-45 minutes to pass distance about 35-40 feet. I was a teen then. Already at the lake I sit next to the big rocks and wanted to eat some snacks still shaking a bit and spanking myself for my action. Then wind started to blow and sound of moving air between the big rocks was so scary for me - very simular to some horrors movies soundtracks before ghosts would appear. Oh, my! One should see how I droped everithing (food wise) and at first very slowly (trying to prove myself that I'm not affraid of the ghosts and they do not exist) then every moment faster and faster (my bravery comletely dissapeared when clouds start to move and touched my face) I was claiming on my "four" to reach the normal road which would bring me to the home safely. I did some trips alone more, but not at winter time anymore... Spending overnight in the mountains also is so wonderfull! You can see Milky Way so clear and without any telescops or binoculars. You can hear sound of the mountain rivers, which is so different from any other sound... You smell mother nature which is like not any other smell... So, I can keep going and keep going telling all sort of stories about my experiences in my trips alone or with other people, but better of one time to see, than hundred times to hear.
The only thing I probaly advise everyone who is going to experience mountains trips in Kazakhstan (or perhaps anywhere) - if you are not the proffesional in claiming and not familiar with the area - do not ever go alone farther, than you could see humans beings around. And respect the nature, as it is beautifull and relaxing, it is also dangerous to became lost or to find yourself in very unpredictable situations.

Another thing - apple fields... and four seasons... Some friends and members of my family, but not very much so, because I always can contact them via e-mail or phone. Ah! Lilac trees at the spring time and overall atmosphere of the city. Well, some food also...

3. No, I do not know kazakhs who is living in US, but I know here is some population of them in different states of the US. They holding some mitings every year in New York city every year. Me personally - I'm child from mixed marrige. I wouldn't be consider kazakh nationality. My Grandfather from my Mom side - he was kazakh. Some politics in Kazakhstan and reaction of some kazakh people to the number of events, considering other nationalities within the country, left very soar feeling inside me. I considered myself kazakhstanian after the name of the country where I was born, lived, learned, worked, cried, smiled and then won Creen Card Lottery.
Already here in US after two years living, studing and working in LA I met my MAN. He is american and was born in Maimi. So my family right now - my man, my son (he was born in Almaty like me), myself, dog, two cats and one fish. All my relatives living in Kazakhstan, some in Kyrgyzstan and some in Russia and I believe somebody in Canada (but I don't know him, just heard about him from my relative from the Moscow).

4. Right now we are living in the sunshine state of USA - Florida.
City - Orlando. Me and Keith decided to move to his state of birth after both of us were laid off from the airspace company in CA after 09/11.
Well, I really don't know if kazakh people living here, I would guess so - Florida is very nice state. I love the Atlantic ocean beaches, Bike Fest in Daytona Beach and National Parks. And fauna. It is so amazing, when you could see racoon mama with her babies going across the road in your apartment comlex, or opposum sitting on the tree and looking straight at you.
I do love nature very-very much. Also, Orlando is very melow city comparing to LA, even so I do like some places in LA too. We were traveling from the LA to Orlando by the car and did a few stops along the road just to see some places, that Keith saw in his childhood and wanted to share with me and Dim (my, well, by now I should say - "our" son). It was very beautiful adventure for us and we all enjoyed it very much. Also, so many road stories and SURE... home video!!!

Especially so funny for all of us was time when we started to live together - completely different cultures, some language problems (I still have it) and sometimes "fricking out" from each other actions - Keith was acting like normal american and me - like normal kazakhstanian. Dim was very nuetural and was care only about Power Rangers and his own goods (he was 5 at that time).

I hope I answered your questions, and if you have more or somebody else, bring them in!

Oh, yea. My native language is Russian (but of course), so if anyone need something to do with the language, please, very welcome. My level of English you could see in my posts.

My regards to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or