U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Russian was the most used language in Kazakhstan during the time of the Soviet era. This was due to force from the government of Moscow,also known as Russification. This extended to names. You would have a name like Ibrahim. That name would be Russified to "Ibragimov". After 1991,when Kazakhstan won its independence, there was a movement to use Kazakh in the government. Today, Kazakh is used more in the schools and the government than any other language, but many Kazakhs still know Russian because they had to learn and still beingg learned now.
The whole northern tier of Kazakhstan around Petrozadovsk is majority Russian since the Middle Ages , the Transsiberian crosses that region, I don't understand how it can belong to Kazakhstan unless the post-communist leaders under Eltsine , busy with selling off their own country (Russia) to please the West in 1991, decided to make the internal admninistrative borders of the Soviet Union, created by the great Democrat Joseph Stalin , international borders, which is a shame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM

48,098 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The whole northern tier of Kazakhstan around Petrozadovsk is majority Russian since the Middle Ages , the Transsiberian crosses that region, I don't understand how it can belong to Kazakhstan unless the post-communist leaders under Eltsine , busy with selling off their own country (Russia) to please the West in 1991, decided to make the internal admninistrative borders of the Soviet Union, created by the great Democrat Joseph Stalin , international borders, which is a shame
Kazakhstan has the same borders it had as a state of the Soviet Union. Today the language is Kazakh. And the capital was switched from Alma Ata(later Almaty) to Astana.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 AM

Kazakhstan has the same borders it had as a state of the Soviet Union

That's exactly my point.
What am I questioning is why "democratic" Russia in 1991 -after the fall of the Soviet Union-made it a point to take for granted the internal state borders established by the Communist dictator Stalin instead of reviewing these borders to create viable countries for the future and not maverick micro nationalities .
I'm convinced the post-Soviet era of bloody conflicts in the Caucasus and elsewhere and the stupid nation building of unsustainable microstates (ever heard of Moldavia, Bielorussia, etc?) would have been avoided.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Kazakhstan has the same borders it had as a state of the Soviet Union

That's exactly my point.
What am I questioning is why "democratic" Russia in 1991 -after the fall of the Soviet Union-made it a point to take for granted the internal state borders established by the Communist dictator Stalin instead of reviewing these borders to create viable countries for the future and not maverick micro nationalities .
I'm convinced the post-Soviet era of bloody conflicts in the Caucasus and elsewhere and the stupid nation building of unsustainable microstates (ever heard of Moldavia, Bielorussia, etc?) would have been avoided.
I figured perhaps in all of the chaos that came with it, few people had time to think about borders.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
If you change the border to start a war.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history1997.forum24.ru View Post
If you change the border to start a war.
Changing the border could have started a war.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,397,122 times
What do I know about the glorious nation of Kazakhstan? I know their economy is booming and they just had a significant increase of citizens in the work-force because of a demographic bulge.

Pigeonhole, why do you consider Belarus to be a micro-nation? It's relativily large size-wize.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Pigeonhole, why do you consider Belarus to be a micro-nation? It's relatively large size-wise.

True, but with only 10 bn. people it's actually quite a small country.
And do you know what Belarussians (whicn means "white russian" because of the white color of the birch trees that grow there)speak? Russian.
And do you know how long Belarussia has been part of Russia ? about a 1000 years.
So what's the point in this new state? meditate the old Roman adage "divide et impera", used in days of yore by the Soviet rulers, today by some "hawks"from the West like Zbigniew Brezinsky (former spin doctor of President Carter) who missed an episode of History (they believe the Berlin Wall is still standing and the USSR still exists..)

Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Pigeonhole, why do you consider Belarus to be a micro-nation? It's relatively large size-wise.

True, but with only 10 bn. people it's actually quite a small country.
And do you know what Belarussians (whicn means "white russian" because of the white color of the birch trees that grow there)speak? Russian.
And do you know how long Belarussia has been part of Russia ? about a 1000 years.
So what's the point in this new state? meditate the old Roman adage "divide et impera", used in days of yore by the Soviet rulers, today by some "hawks"from the West like Zbigniew Brezinsky (former spin doctor of President Carter) who missed an episode of History (they believe the Berlin Wall is still standing and the USSR still exists..)
Belarusian is different from Russian:Belarusian language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belarus is not a micro-nation. It is its own nation with its own culture, although there are Russian influences.

Kazakhstan is not to be considered a micro-nation either.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:34 PM

149 posts, read 137,152 times
Quote:
... I don't understand how it can belong to Kazakhstan unless the post-communist leaders ...

Islamic Chaliphate (ISIS) nation building plans also includes Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. This extremist group is the greatest boarder threat today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or