Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 AM

64 posts, read 74,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Singapore is 30% foreign-born. That's not something to be dismissed lightly.

I do question what the future holds.

HK's status as an independent beacon of capitalism is under the shadow of what will become of that status come 2047. The mobile young as well as the far-sighted rich have reservations about gambling their future on the caprice of Beijing in this matter. Aside from that, HK does not seem to be embracing its Anglosphere past with the fervour that Singapore has. It's not surprising, as HK is being transformed by Mandarin-speaking students and workers, as well as wealthy tourists and investors.
Aye, the city is full of traitors who submit themselves to the tyranny of the communists and are trying their best to destroy the city's dynamic and liberty in order to appeal their Peking 'masters'.

'Briton never shall be slave'. The communist bastards clearly understand that. So first of all, they loot us of our proud Anglo identity. Then now they and their local conspirators are attempting to make us slave. I'm confine that HK will be a place politically like Tibet and economically like Detroit by 2047. Perhaps it's now the correct moment to start preparing for the funeral for the second death of HK (the first one in 1997) in 2047.

God Save Hong Kong. Although I doubt if even the God has the ability to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Singapore is 30% foreign-born. That's not something to be dismissed lightly.

I do question what the future holds.

HK's status as an independent beacon of capitalism is under the shadow of what will become of that status come 2047. The mobile young as well as the far-sighted rich have reservations about gambling their future on the caprice of Beijing in this matter. Aside from that, HK does not seem to be embracing its Anglosphere past with the fervour that Singapore has. It's not surprising, as HK is being transformed by Mandarin-speaking students and workers, as well as wealthy tourists and investors.
HK did not have Oxford-educated Harry Lee (Lee Kwan Yew) with his foresight of making English and Mandarin the main languages (although at the expense of 'dialects'). I think too much foreign labour is going to be a hot issue in Singapore, with many Singaporeans growing frustrated over it.

Who knows what the PRC/CCP will be like in 50 years...

Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 AM

39 posts, read 99,294 times
I can see where you coming from, Singapore and Hong Kong are trying very hard to become financial institution of the region since there are not emphasizes on manufacturing related industry from the past few era. However, the trend has changed in Singpapore. The SG gov are now looking at the design manufaturing industry and at the same time keeping up on the financial industry. Is HK doing the same? I can see the Mainland China is doing so but not the HK.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavechin View Post
I can see where you coming from, Singapore and Hong Kong are trying very hard to become financial institution of the region since there are not emphasizes on manufacturing related industry from the past few era. However, the trend has changed in Singpapore. The SG gov are now looking at the design manufaturing industry and at the same time keeping up on the financial industry. Is HK doing the same? I can see the Mainland China is doing so but not the HK.
How can HK compete with China, where most of the world's stuff seems to be made in? You have the PRD, a vast factory. You rarely see 'Made in Hong Kong' anymore.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Singapore is winning the rivalry. It's cleaner, safer, has better English, better (spoken) Mandarin, uses Simplified Chinese, has a higher per capita real GDP, and a higher overall GDP, and is more environmental. The English standard in Hong Kong is declining. That's because recently there has been an increase in schools using Chinese as the language of instruction. But all schools in Singapore must teach in English.
Your criteria is heavily Singapore-favored. It's fine to like Singapore as much as you do. I like Singapore too.

But, that doesn't imply that Hong Kong is in some rivalry for the same criteria as you claim.

Hong Kong is a completely different animal and entity altogether. It has completely different aspirations, fundamentals, etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavechin View Post
China is trying to move all of the financial clout of HK to the mainland. Shanghai and Beijing. It's siphoning the wealth and moving it northward.

In this regards, Hong Kong really isn't in competition with Singapore, nor is Singapore in competion with Hong Kong.

My personal feeling is that the wealth and clout and power will remain in China, regardless if it's Hong Kong or Shanghai or Beijing. Singapore is just hoping to carve out a piece of that, because they can. But there isn't any denying that China is the big bear in the room, and where all the money and power will be.

Singapore is Switzerland. China (including HK) is the Europen Union.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 PM

Singapore is still in SEA so is an important component in the ASEAN 'economy' if you like. Plus it has connections to South Asia. India is an emerging economy and Singapore will play a role.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Singapore is still in SEA so is an important component in the ASEAN 'economy' if you like. Plus it has connections to South Asia. India is an emerging economy and Singapore will play a role.
Actually, I like looking at Singapore in that regards. Southeast Asian's economic engine.

While Hong Kong COULD have regionally tried to compete for that with Singapore, if it was it's previous entity. The reality these days it that Hong Kong has become way more China-centric, particularly with the politics of Beijing in play, and the opportunity of mainland China these days.

In short, completely different cities with completely different goals, aspirations, etc. Which implies that the OP sees a false rivalry between the two. Next, what's up with the rivalry between apples and oranges?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, I like looking at Singapore in that regards. Southeast Asian's economic engine.

While Hong Kong COULD have regionally tried to compete for that with Singapore, if it was it's previous entity. The reality these days it that Hong Kong has become way more China-centric, particularly with the politics of Beijing in play, and the opportunity of mainland China these days.

In short, completely different cities with completely different goals, aspirations, etc. Which implies that the OP sees a false rivalry between the two. Next, what's up with the rivalry between apples and oranges?
I can understand the rivalry on paper. Both touted as 'Asian Tigers' along with SK and Taiwan, both have similar GDP, both developed city states (well de-facto in the case of HK), so naturally one can easily compare them.

But yeah, different animals of course...it is still interesting to see what path each will take. Plus you can throw Taipei in there into a mix, it's an up and coming city.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I can understand the rivalry on paper. Both touted as 'Asian Tigers' along with SK and Taiwan, both have similar GDP, both developed city states (well de-facto in the case of HK), so naturally one can easily compare them.

But yeah, different animals of course...it is still interesting to see what path each will take. Plus you can throw Taipei in there into a mix, it's an up and coming city.
I think the comparison might be a Chinese-speaker-perspective rivalry. If someone knows Chinese, then those cities really stand out to them more than others.

But, to a non-chinese speaking person, they just seem like two random Asian cities, and we'd add Tokyo and Seoul and possibly others like KL or BKK into the mix, and a comparison with SG and HK seem just as random as saying there is a rivalry between Manila and Seoul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia