U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,371,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think the comparison might be a Chinese-speaker-perspective rivalry. If someone knows Chinese, then those cities really stand out to them more than others.

But, to a non-chinese speaking person, they just seem like two random Asian cities, and we'd add Tokyo and Seoul and possibly others like KL or BKK into the mix, and a comparison with SG and HK seem just as random as saying there is a rivalry between Manila and Seoul.
Hmmm, I think the similarities are still obviously: two former British colonies that are basically city-states that made their wealth on trade which are dense and have a high quality of life, with British culture (moreso Singapore). Both are major ports and still the most visited cities in Asia and transport hubs (along with Bangkok, depending on how you measure it). But yes, there is technically a Chinese majority in both, but that doesn't mean they see each other as some sort of cousins. Singaporeans don't generally think of HK all that much, most are of Hokkien stock (with Teochew, Hakka and then Cantonese) and many now speak Mandarin if not English. Hong Kongers until recently were mostly Cantonese speakers and more insulated than Singapore. Now that most are more Mandarin speakers in each maybe there's more connectivity, but I don't see a whole deal. Siingapore is far from an island of Chineseness in SEA: it's cultural is distinctive, very influenced by Malay-Indian as well as British culture. I always feel Singapore has a cultural diversity and depth that Hong Kong lacks.

But yeah, I think most Singaporeans these days are more connected to KL (no surprise) or even Bangkok. But yeah, a comparison between the two is still a lot more logical than Manila and Seoul, for the reasons above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 PM

15,959 posts, read 36,352,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, I think the similarities are still obviously: two former British colonies that are basically city-states that made their wealth on trade which are dense and have a high quality of life, with British culture (moreso Singapore). Both are major ports and still the most visited cities in Asia and transport hubs (along with Bangkok, depending on how you measure it). But yes, there is technically a Chinese majority in both, but that doesn't mean they see each other as some sort of cousins. Singaporeans don't generally think of HK all that much, most are of Hokkien stock (with Teochew, Hakka and then Cantonese) and many now speak Mandarin if not English. Hong Kongers until recently were mostly Cantonese speakers and more insulated than Singapore. Now that most are more Mandarin speakers in each maybe there's more connectivity, but I don't see a whole deal. Siingapore is far from an island of Chineseness in SEA: it's cultural is distinctive, very influenced by Malay-Indian as well as British culture. I always feel Singapore has a cultural diversity and depth that Hong Kong lacks.

But yeah, I think most Singaporeans these days are more connected to KL (no surprise) or even Bangkok. But yeah, a comparison between the two is still a lot more logical than Manila and Seoul, for the reasons above.
Okay, I can now see the British interests in that as well. Not being British or Chinese, they don't stand out anymore than anywhere else. But, I could see that British would see a rivalry of sorts as well.

When I look at them, and I look at them more for what they are now, they just seem like two drastically different cities. I will definitely say that they are both very desireable and attractive cities.

But, in my mind, and it's probably just subjective opinion, but I always grew up thinking that Hong Kong was on par with cities like New York, London, and Tokyo.

Singapore, which I also like a lot, is somewhere I'd characterize more with cities like Sydney, Seattle, Barcelona or somewhere. Meaning, I'd put it right up there with any other desireable city to see and experience. But Hong Kong just sits at another tier altogether.

From an outsider perspective, its like New Zealand saying they have a rivalry with Australia; or Canadians saying they have a rivalry with the U.S.; or South Korea with Japan. They seem like one-sided rivalries, only imagined in the minds of the smaller place.

I guess I'd need a whole ton of Hong Kongers telling me that they have a rivalry with Singapore, to adequately believe that their is a rivalry.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Okay, I can now see the British interests in that as well. Not being British or Chinese, they don't stand out anymore than anywhere else. But, I could see that British would see a rivalry of sorts as well.

When I look at them, and I look at them more for what they are now, they just seem like two drastically different cities. I will definitely say that they are both very desireable and attractive cities.

But, in my mind, and it's probably just subjective opinion, but I always grew up thinking that Hong Kong was on par with cities like New York, London, and Tokyo.

Singapore, which I also like a lot, is somewhere I'd characterize more with cities like Sydney, Seattle, Barcelona or somewhere. Meaning, I'd put it right up there with any other desireable city to see and experience. But Hong Kong just sits at another tier altogether.

From an outsider perspective, its like New Zealand saying they have a rivalry with Australia; or Canadians saying they have a rivalry with the U.S.; or South Korea with Japan. They seem like one-sided rivalries, only imagined in the minds of the smaller place.

I guess I'd need a whole ton of Hong Kongers telling me that they have a rivalry with Singapore, to adequately believe that their is a rivalry.
Singapore and Hong Kong aren't as far apart as you'd think. In terms of global prominence, GDP, no. of visitors, port.etc they're actually comparable. Singapore has continued to grow and is probably closing in on HK, and has surpassed it in some ways.

I used to not think much of SG but I think more of it now. I just wish it wasn't quite AS globalised, as it is, though, although 'Asianised' (e.g. sort of a hub for all of Asia) is a better word.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,286,328 times
To tiger beer ... From someone from Singapore true blue Singaporean .. If you put Hong Kong on par with Tokyo , New York and London .. I think Singapore is not beneath hog kong for sure.. I felt what a joke that Hong Kong is on level with Tokyo, London and New York.. I have no issues if you put Singapore on the same tier as Hong Kong .. But not a tier below it

Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
To tiger beer ... From someone from Singapore true blue Singaporean .. If you put Hong Kong on par with Tokyo , New York and London .. I think Singapore is not beneath hog kong for sure.. I felt what a joke that Hong Kong is on level with Tokyo, London and New York.. I have no issues if you put Singapore on the same tier as Hong Kong .. But not a tier below it
I'm looking up 'Global City' status. It looks like officially it's New York and London as very top tier. Looks like they put Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo, Shanghai, Sydney, Chicago and Dubai as next level down.

That probably is the current status then. But, back 20 years ago or so, and I visited Hong Kong before 1997 when it turned over, it just always seemed like HK was top notch. When I visited then, it had that same NYC feeling to me, in a way that SG just doesn't give off.

But, seeing that now Shanghai is equivalent with Hong Kong and Singapore as well, than I'll fall back on the assumption that China's been siphoning away Hong Kong's importance since it became China, and shifting it towards the Mainland.

In regards to the list, if Shanghai is on equal to Singapore. Then the world has definitely changed quite a bit in the last 20 years, as I'd definitely maintain that Singapore is vastly superior to Shanghai on every possible level.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM

39 posts, read 78,716 times
Quote:
China is trying to move all of the financial clout of HK to the mainland. Shanghai and Beijing. It's siphoning the wealth and moving it northward.

Singapore is Switzerland. China (including HK) is the Europen Union.
You've hitted the nail on its head.
"Singapore is Switzerland. China (including HK) is the Europen Union."

SO back to the title, Why are Hong Kong and Singapore such intense Rivals?
If you comparing apple to apple (City to City, FYI, SG is a City & country), HK is totally trailing SG on every aspects now...

Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 AM

'HK is totally trailing SG on every aspects now...' on what basis? On objective stats?

Subjectively I prefer Singapore's quality of life, diversity, culture and food, but HK has a better skyline, scenery/topography, and maybe better nightlife although S'pore is getting better.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
'HK is totally trailing SG on every aspects now...' on what basis? On objective stats?

Subjectively I prefer Singapore's quality of life, diversity, culture and food, but HK has a better skyline, scenery/topography, and maybe better nightlife although S'pore is getting better.
Hong Kong nightlife is pretty amazing. And I'm someone who thought Tokyo nightlife's was dull and boring. So, that says something

Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM

816 posts, read 1,566,118 times
Hong Kong vs Singapore is only of relevance to the expat crowd and people with a hard on for 'free market' economics. Ordinary Hong Kongers don't care about Singapore and probably vice versa.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Hong Kong nightlife is pretty amazing. And I'm someone who thought Tokyo nightlife's was dull and boring. So, that says something
Yes so I hear. It's expensive though right? I also hear Tokyo's isn't that great, but it depends what you like. I hear Seoul is pretty crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or