U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM

251 posts, read 547,943 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that they keep getting confused with one another. They're both competitive, Chinese-dominated city states seeking to dominate the world economy.

But why is Hong Kong so hell-bent on Singapore? Every time they talk about losing their competitiveness, it's always Singapore that crops up. Is it because Singapore is the only East Asian metropolis that offers a lassiez-faire, English-speaking prestige? The expats? Asia's finest universities? Why doesn't Hong Kong focus on Shanghai or Seoul, of all cities?

I find this rivalry akin to that of Athens and Sparta, or Rome and Carthage. History repeats itself; city-states trying to nuke each other.

Are there any other city rivalries out there (besides NYC and Boston?) What rivals has Shanghai? Seoul? Beijing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Never heard of that competitiveness. In my own perception, I would have thought that Hong Kong would have more grief/focus on Mainland China than anything. Most of their wealth is being siphoned off by Mainland China and distributed into Shanghai and Beijing in most respects.

Singapore also just seems way too different from Hong Kong. In my mind, Hong Kong is like 'East Coast USA'....Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing...is kind of like Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC.

Singapore might as well be an outlier...like Seattle or something. Sure, Singapore is in the chinese-speaking world, and Seattle is in the U.S., but they aren't at the core of the 'East Coast USA' or 'Mainland China's economic engine'.

In other words, I don't see a Hong Kong-Singapore rivalry. Regarding the others you mentioned. Shanghai does have a rivalry with Beijing. Seoul doesn't have one, but nationally Korea is fairly obsessed with passing Japan on any level they can. I don't think Japan sees it back with Korea at all though.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,846,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Never heard of that competitiveness. In my own perception, I would have thought that Hong Kong would have more grief/focus on Mainland China than anything. Most of their wealth is being siphoned off by Mainland China and distributed into Shanghai and Beijing in most respects.

Singapore also just seems way too different from Hong Kong. In my mind, Hong Kong is like 'East Coast USA'....Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing...is kind of like Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC.

Singapore might as well be an outlier...like Seattle or something. Sure, Singapore is in the chinese-speaking world, and Seattle is in the U.S., but they aren't at the core of the 'East Coast USA' or 'Mainland China's economic engine'.

In other words, I don't see a Hong Kong-Singapore rivalry. Regarding the others you mentioned. Shanghai does have a rivalry with Beijing. Seoul doesn't have one, but nationally Korea is fairly obsessed with passing Japan on any level they can. I don't think Japan sees it back with Korea at all though.

it's because the japanese have always had rigorous but fair standards and principles with almost anything they do, and the koreans have just begun to catch up. my family has dealt with both koreans and japanese in our business, but we found that the japanese were both very meticulous but fair in their dealings with us. the koreans were largely unscrupulous. the japanese, even though they were very rigorous on their demands, they were very fair and generous with us when we met or exceeded their demands. the koreans were very demanding as well, but they rarely compensated us fairly. just look at how the quality of korean cars have just begun to catch up to the standards of the japanese cars.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,542,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
It seems to me that they keep getting confused with one another. They're both competitive, Chinese-dominated city states seeking to dominate the world economy.

But why is Hong Kong so hell-bent on Singapore? Every time they talk about losing their competitiveness, it's always Singapore that crops up. Is it because Singapore is the only East Asian metropolis that offers a lassiez-faire, English-speaking prestige? The expats? Asia's finest universities? Why doesn't Hong Kong focus on Shanghai or Seoul, of all cities?

I find this rivalry akin to that of Athens and Sparta, or Rome and Carthage. History repeats itself; city-states trying to nuke each other.

Are there any other city rivalries out there (besides NYC and Boston?) What rivals has Shanghai? Seoul? Beijing?
I haven't really noticed a fierce cultural rivalry, but they're certainly big competitors for foreign investment. As the only cities in Asia with both high levels of English comprehension and good infrastructure they, compete for the same multinationals looking for an Asian regional hub.

I see HK now becoming increasingly focused on China, which is not a bad thing considering the mainland's bright economic future, but it probably means that HK will at the same time will lose some of its relative impact as a global centre as it becomes more unifocal in its outlook. Singapore is well-situated geographically and culturally to capitalise on the increasing wealth of India and SE Asia as a whole, and its English fluency is considerably better than HK as well. The fact it's not too close, but also not so far from China works in Singapore's favour I think.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM

251 posts, read 547,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Nah. Singapore is safe, clean, masterplanned, green, diverse, rich, with top notch schools. Sounds like a wealthy California suburb, like Irvine.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM

843 posts, read 1,378,860 times
Culturally, Singapore is heavily influenced by the muslism, and I don't consider it to be a very Chinese dominated society.
Politically, Singapore is an authoritarian state with very limited freedom of speech.

Singapore is very unique.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM

12,616 posts, read 15,076,634 times
I have visited both places, many times, for work and vacation, and really did not notice such a rivalry.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Culturally, Singapore is heavily influenced by the muslism, and I don't consider it to be a very Chinese dominated society.
Politically, Singapore is an authoritarian state with very limited freedom of speech.

Singapore is very unique.
Errrrrrrr have you ever been to Singapore?

Singapore is 74% Chinese (and that's not Chinese-dominated according to you?) And Muslims only account for 15% of the population, and almost all are Malays, with a significant population of Indian and Arab Muslims. But still, Buddhism, Taoism, and Christianity are far larger than Islam in Singapore.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:26 PM

84 posts, read 368,235 times
Because both Hong kong and Singapore are same size also with Chinese majority and also stand on the same level of economy, that cause both Hong and Singapore feel like to be a match competitor to one another.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times
They're both similar ... Size, Economy, Chinese and both were governed by Britain before. But I heard that English is better in Singapore than Hongkong ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or