U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If you are in China, why not do it in a more Chinese way-- order food from restaurants so everyone will be happy.
I am sure the Chinese participants will contribute in cash.
No we do it in a Western way because our community in the church is made up mostly of foreigners from different parts of the world and Potluck is better because you can really see the effort and thoughtfulness of each and everyone by cooking their own specialties of food and desserts. Potluck is also a good way for people to taste different kinds of foods from different countries as we are all foreigners.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-05-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No we do it in a Western way because our community in the church is made up mostly of foreigners from different parts of the world and Potluck is better because you can really see the effort and thoughtfulness of each and everyone by cooking their own specialties of food and desserts. Potluck is also a good way for people to taste different kinds of foods from different countries as we are all foreigners.
I suppose most of the Chinese church goers are single, and probably women.
Singles in big cities of China often live in small dorms/apartments without a real kitchen. It is very hard to cook something serious. Not to mention many young women in China cannot cook at all. Those "only children" do not do anything at home.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I suppose most of the Chinese church goers are single, and probably women.
Singles in big cities of China often live in small dorms/apartments without a real kitchen. It is very hard to cook something serious. Not to mention many young women in China cannot cook at all. These "only children" do not do anything at home.
Yes they are mostly single.
Most young women cannot cook at all ? Why ?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times
Quote:
As you know, schools in China are very intense, and they have no time to learn to cook. Their parents do not want them to do that either, since they only have one child.
University students all live in dorms, and there is no way and no need to cook.

So, before getting married, they do not really have the motivation to cook.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM

22,166 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
Too much time spent building a more competitive economy.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 PM

801 posts, read 1,949,499 times
There is a Chinese church a few blocks from where I live. Most of the people at this church are people of various Chinese nationalities that settled in the area around the time of the tech expansion of the late 90s. Out of hundreds of folks, there seems to be less than a handful that doesn't explicitly fit their demographic. I've noticed at most of the events (that I've been dragged to) they always seem to run out of food early. There are definitely a noticeable number of Chinese people that go out of their way to bring an excessive amount of food, drink, etc., ... That being said there is a much higher percentage that seems to go out of their way to leech.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
There is a Chinese church a few blocks from where I live. Most of the people at this church are people of various Chinese nationalities that settled in the area around the time of the tech expansion of the late 90s. Out of hundreds of folks, there seems to be less than a handful that doesn't explicitly fit their demographic. I've noticed at most of the events (that I've been dragged to) they always seem to run out of food early. There are definitely a noticeable number of Chinese people that go out of their way to bring an excessive amount of food, drink, etc., ... That being said there is a much higher percentage that seems to go out of their way to leech.
Chinese Church ? Catholic church ?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM

801 posts, read 1,949,499 times
Quote:
Chinese Church ? Catholic church ?
It's non-denominational. Although I would say the focus is on the "Chinese" part, and not on the "church" part. My guess is about 85% of the people there don't know and don't care about not knowing anything about religion, etc.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,071,713 times
 Cebu Cosmaze Carnival 2013

Cebu Cosplayers Cosmaze 2013 - YouTube

Cosmaze 2013 Highlights- Best Cosplay Show - YouTube

Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,970,036 times
Here's 2 of the Filipino traditional games for kids during bday & fiesta party

Pukpok Palayok similar to Piñata and Pabitin
(where they usually put some candies and goodies for kids inside the palayok (pot) with
some flour & you have to hit that pot to break and they will grab the goodies in pabitin)

Pok Pok Palayok & Pabitin - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVV2n3ctUDA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or