Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
I heard that Filipino love to sing when they party .
Karaoke or Videoke lol specially if there is scoreboard haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM

23,517 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Yeah, I have a Filipino friend and have been to his parties. They eat, drink and then Karaoke afterward until the late hours of the night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
They love to sing any time any where, it starts from school. It is very common for every Filipino family to have a Karaoke machine.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM

588 posts, read 796,023 times
Quote:
The food part is a bit of surprise for me because every year we celebrate Easter party and Christmas party in our church and we invite Chinese people who are active in the church and none of them ever bring food for our Potluck.
I can think of two possibilities. One is that some Chinese people don't know what kind of Chinese food would go together with other non-Chinese dishes. I learned how to cook in Japan and China. My relatives in the US will always have roast beef or ham, mashed potatoes and a few vegetable caseroles. I generally only bring snacks because my specialties of Mapo Tofu (spicy with chili oil) or stir fried dishes with Chinese sauces or seasoning don't mix with the mash potatoes and therefore not very popular.

My other guess is that Chinese people will have a lot of pride if it is going to be a Chinese food party. However, for a church party, they may think that they are guests and not expected to provide any main dishes. Some of them come only for a free meal, which may be the case of the people you mentioned.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I can think of two possibilities. One is that some Chinese people don't know what kind of Chinese food would go together with other non-Chinese dishes. I learned how to cook in Japan and China. My relatives in the US will always have roast beef or ham, mashed potatoes and a few vegetable caseroles. I generally only bring snacks because my specialties of Mapo Tofu (spicy with chili oil) or stir fried dishes with Chinese sauces or seasoning don't mix with the mash potatoes and therefore not very popular.

My other guess is that Chinese people will have a lot of pride if it is going to be a Chinese food party. However, for a church party, they may think that they are guests and not expected to provide any main dishes. Some of them come only for a free meal, which may be the case of the people you mentioned.
Well I don't think they consider themselves guests because the party is just for the different ministries of the church ( the Chinese are the servers in the church ) . I guess they just really come for a free meal and they just don't bother contributing anything for Potluck. But what is even more annoying is that they bring so many Chinese friends with them when they don't even contribute any food.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 PM

588 posts, read 796,023 times
Quote:
Well I don't think they consider themselves guests because the party is just for the different ministries of the church ( the Chinese are the servers in the church ) . I guess they just really come for a free meal and they just don't bother contributing anything for Potluck. But what is even more annoying is that they bring so many Chinese friends with them when they don't even contribute any food.
That's definitely seems inconsiderate and I would be annoyed too. The best thing to do would be to tell them directly how you feel.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Every thread here turns to be a complaint about Chinese.

In China, we do NOT bring food to a party, the host prepares everything.
Some Chinese may not consider it a big deal to join a party without contribution-- they believe the host or other people won't mind.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Every thread here turns to be a complaint about Chinese.

In China, we do NOT bring food to a party, the host prepares everything.
Some Chinese may not consider it a big deal to join a party without contribution-- they believe the host or other people won't mind.
The party is for all of us serving the Church ( choir, sunday school kids, church servers- Chinese people, etc. ) so all of us basically are obliged to bring food to share to everyone. All of us are hosts including the Chinese church servers. We have been doing our Easter Potluck Party and Christmas Potluck Party for 3 years already and they've been attending for 3 years too and been aware that all of us bring food ( most of us atleast bring 2 dishes ) but for 3 years, they have not brought any food to share. Even if it is not a culture for them to bring but since they've been attending for 3 years and saw that all of us make an effort to cook food and do desserts they should already try to do it too, right ?
I commented as a reaction to Data1000 regarding Chinese parties and food.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-05-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
That's definitely seems inconsiderate and I would be annoyed too. The best thing to do would be to tell them directly how you feel.
Yes it is really very inconsiderate especially since the've been attending our church parties for 3 years already and they've been aware that we all try to bring atleast 2 dishes so everyone will get satisfied. Last Christmas party, when we came back from the party, we were still hungry because the food was not enough since the Chinese servers brought so many Chinese friends with them.
We usually talk about the foods we will bring 2 weeks before the party , so they are all informed about it too , but it's still the same. Sometimes, we think it would be better if we organise the party without letting them know but it's not possible because we hold the party in one of the function rooms of the church, and of course they will still find out.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Yes it is really very inconsiderate especially since the've been attending our church parties for 3 years already and they've been aware that we all try to bring atleast 2 dishes so everyone will get satisfied. Last Christmas party, when we came back from the party, we were still hungry because the food was not enough since the Chinese servers brought so many Chinese friends with them.
We usually talk about the foods we will bring 2 weeks before the party , so they are all informed about it too , but it's still the same. Sometimes, we think it would be better if we organise the party without letting them know but it's not possible because we hold the party in one of the function rooms of the church, and of course they will still find out.
If you are in China, why not do it in a more Chinese way-- order food from restaurants so everyone will be happy.
I am sure the Chinese participants will contribute in cash.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In every culture, people drink, eat and chat for fun when they get together.
Besides that, I find people have very different interests.

When Chinese people get together, they often play mahjong and/or cards. I'm not very good at mahjong and sometimes I don't want to go to parties because they always end up playing mahjong. During Chinese new year vacations, I play cards with relatives every day. Nowadays karaoke is popular too.

Young Americans drink much more beer and other alcohols. They also have a lot of small games for drinking, but usually they are not too brain consuming. Drinking seems to be the theme, and people talk loud afterwards.

A have a friend from middle east. When he has parties with his fellows, they play very loud music and keep dancing for hours. Everyone of them has nice moves. Many Chinese look awkward when they try to dance.

I would have no idea what one would do "IN" a party but when I am "AT" a party I eat, have a drink or two, mingle, socialize, dance if the music is right, observe at times and just relax and enjoy the time I have with so many friends and family (if they are there) gathering and enjoying each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia