U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 AM

36 posts, read 47,333 times

Advertisements

I know that Citibank has branches in Singapore. Check to see what kind of charges they may run you in terms of exchange rates if any, assuming you have a Citi account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,021,548 times
i think citibank doesnt charge for withdrawing money except for exchange rates charges

Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,450,126 times
Singapore outlets are 220V so make sure that whatever you use an adapter on is rated for 220V (check the brick on the power supply cord, look for input v).

I have never seen a laundry mat in Singapore.

Most expats I know in Singapore get netter housing through the company they work for rather than on their own as housing in singapore ranges from very expensive to outrageous.

You are gonna have trouble on the banking side. I believe you must be there a min of 6 months to open an acct in most banks. I would look carefully though because of the new banking rules the IRS requires many banks are not allowing US customers. You really should look hard and try to find a way to open an acct though. Many banks there also require a sizeable initial deposit to open an acct, some are 5K SGD if I remember. You will not have a problem using you current cards but you will get trashed on fees.

I would check requirements for shots going to Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand as those are very close/easy to travel to fir short trips and you will probably want to.

Unless you are coming from the Louisiana swamps you are in for a shock concerning the humidity. Thin cotton shirts, lots of quick showers.

For most meals I highly recommend you avoid traditional type restaurants and visit your local hawker center (food court). Selection is huge and some of the best street food in the world. Actually, in all my travels, Singapore and Italy have the best food on the planet. Top quality food from any southeast Asian country is widely available in Singapore.

Buy your train/bus pass at any subway station. costs around 10 SGD or so. They have machines located at all of them also to top them using cash or card.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,450,126 times
Oh, top food recommendations are

roti prata with an egg
murtabak
rendang
chilli crab
char kuey teow
satay
mee goreng
rojak
bak kut teh
hainese chicken rice

Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,021,548 times
miss the hawker centres!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or