U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
ahahaha! i can see where you're coming from. i work here in east texas where the southern american accent is as heavy as you could get (e.g. why is pronounced as waaaa). everytime my south african and irish counterparts talked, everyone around them gets spellbound. one local pointed it out as british accents sounding highly educated, intelligent and professional, especially to southern american ears. one local counterpart says that those accents make her feel that she sounds so "uneducated redneck" to our patients.

i work with a filipino here and we always get compared in our extreme difference in our pronunciation and accent. while he has already worked here in the US for 10+ years, he has a very thick northern filipino accent. everytime i speak, everyone would ask me if i was born here in the US as i dont have as much discernable foreign accent as my filipino peer. not to brag, but just speaking from my experience

and i wouldnt say the british accent is better, just different. of course, you prefer the british accent over the american accent, but i wouldnt describe either accent as better. just different.
The main issue with Filipino-English, which seems fine to my ear for vocabulary and grammar, is the suprasegmentals. In short, while you can hear an accent in a German speaking English, an American speaking English, a Canadian speaking English etc., they still basically all put the emphasis on the same syllables. Filipino-English, however, while accented, also very often puts the emphasis on different syllables or on the "wrong" word in the sentence, making it sound odd to most anglophones. It is still understandable, however.

Moreover, Filipinos who try to speak with the more universally-accepted syllable emphasis get accused of being pretentious by their fellow countrymen and urged to revert. perhpas this is changing as call-center training in neutral accents becomes more widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
They need more call center agents with an accent like this lady.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...DaePwo#t=1162s

I mean, she still sounds Filipino, but she has a pleasant voice and she sounds natural and easy to understand. Unfortunately, the other people in the video didn't have that kind of voice

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-15-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They need more call center agents with an accent like this lady.

Call Center Agent, Philippines on Al Jazeera News - YouTube

I mean, she still sounds Filipino, but she has a pleasant voice and she sounds natural and easy to understand. Unfortunately, the other people in the video didn't have that kind of voice
I agree

Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,847,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The main issue with Filipino-English, which seems fine to my ear for vocabulary and grammar, is the suprasegmentals. In short, while you can hear an accent in a German speaking English, an American speaking English, a Canadian speaking English etc., they still basically all put the emphasis on the same syllables. Filipino-English, however, while accented, also very often puts the emphasis on different syllables or on the "wrong" word in the sentence, making it sound odd to most anglophones. It is still understandable, however.

Moreover, Filipinos who try to speak with the more universally-accepted syllable emphasis get accused of being pretentious by their fellow countrymen and urged to revert. perhpas this is changing as call-center training in neutral accents becomes more widespread.
i so agree with this. when i first came to the US, and even now, i got corrected on the wrong accent i would put on the syllables a few times. filipinos tend to accent the 2nd syllable in a three-syllable word.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Those pinoys like to rrrrrroll their' rrrrrrr's when they speak English.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 AM

154 posts, read 192,145 times
After browsing through a Filipino dating website, I noticed that the majority of Filipino women do not know how to correctly spell most English words. This is judging by what they write in their profiles. I see misspellings everywhere.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
After browsing through a Filipino dating website, I noticed that the majority of Filipino women do not know how to correctly spell most English words. This is judging by what they write in their profiles. I see misspellings everywhere.
Maybe because the ones who are not poor in Spelling are the ones who don't go to Dating Sites ?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 AM

154 posts, read 192,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Maybe because the ones who are not poor in Spelling are the ones who don't go to Dating Sites ?
People in Philippines who know how to correctly spell most English words, are probably the wealthy upper class Chinese descendent Filipinos.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Quote:
People in Philippines who know how to correctly spell most English words, are probably the wealthy upper class Chinese descendent Filipinos.
Not all upper class are of Chinese descent.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised. It is, after all, not their first language. Filipinos may speak good English for Asian standards but it's still not a natively English speaking country. The closest you'll find in Asia is Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia