U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM

472 posts, read 480,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
o. now, do those non-native english speaking nationalities accent the same way as the filipinos or are they more consistently correct with their syllable accenting?
I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know that even within the English language, there is a wide variety, globally, of "correct" accent, "correct" spelling, and "correct" grammar even.

Some will say that their particular brand of English is the most correct--especially some in England, in my experience. There is no one "correct" English. If you're a London elitist, even in London there are many accents. Language evolves and varies gepgraphically and chronologically. Any suggestion of "the most correct English" is based in ignorance. I'm just saying there is no gold standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
^ I agree. I don't care how Filipinos speak English, but for the ones who work in call centers and specifically deal with American customers, they need to try to speak close to "Standard" American English. The main part of their job is to be understood by Americans.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ I agree. I don't care how Filipinos speak English, but for the ones who work in call centers and specifically deal with American customers, they need to try to speak close to "Standard" American English. The main part of their job is to be understood by Americans.
I agree!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,844,797 times
okay, let's say we're using american english as our basis. aside from the filipinos, how do the rest of the non-native english speaking nationalities fare with correct syllable accenting? it seems that the native english speakers find filipino english funny, but not german/korean/japanese/french/chinese/thai/saudi arabian/etc?

my point is not to disparage non-native english speakers just because they dont speak english as their first language. if those speakers were to work in largely english environments, then that's where the deficiencies should be seen as something to work on to improve communication.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 PM

zilam, I agree with you, too. If it's for work, it's good to have a good command of the language of the customers you are interacting with. If your customers are all over the map, or your work isn't full-time phone interaction, I don't see it as important to speak like a certain small set of English speakers (and even Americans as a whole are just a subset of English).

It's my impression that Chinese and other SE Asian people have the hardest time with English--seems to me their languages are the most different from English, and theirs would also be the hardest for Americans to learn, I think.

Last edited by 97701; 05-20-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,167,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
okay, let's say we're using american english as our basis. aside from the filipinos, how do the rest of the non-native english speaking nationalities fare with correct syllable accenting? it seems that the native english speakers find filipino english funny, but not german/korean/japanese/french/chinese/thai/saudi arabian/etc?

my point is not to disparage non-native english speakers just because they dont speak english as their first language. if those speakers were to work in largely english environments, then that's where the deficiencies should be seen as something to work on to improve communication.
German, Japanese, french, chinese and thai all seem to do the common syllable accenting. I can't speak for Saudi, I just don't know. Indian English is another one that can go astray on the syllables.

Interesting that Indian and Filipino English are the ones with the issue here considering they are the main call center countries. A lot of money made in coaching there.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM

9,523 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Interesting that Indian and Filipino English are the ones with the issue here considering they are the main call center countries. A lot of money made in coaching there.

I have received calls from people with Indian accents but names like "Bob Smith" or "Mary Jones"!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Quote:
German, Japanese, french, chinese and thai all seem to do the common syllable accenting. I can't speak for Saudi, I just don't know. Indian English is another one that can go astray on the syllables.

I don't think Chinese and French do the common syllable accent. When a French speaks English, they still very much carry the French syllables especially on words that are found in French vocabulary ( ones ending in " ion " ex. participation . Same as Chinese, that's why it's so hard to understand when a Chinese speaks English.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,844,797 times
Quote:

post videos of those nationalities speaking english and let's ACTUALLY compare.

and do you think korea, japan, and china would do better with call centers geared to native english speakers? if a lot of money can be made coaching in philippines and india which happen to be the top countries in asia for english fluency and literacy, HOW MUCH MORE MONEY can be made with coaching in countries say japan, korea, thailand, korea, russia, etc?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,167,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't think Chinese and French do the common syllable accent. When a French speaks English, they still very much carry the French syllables especially on words that are found in French vocabulary ( ones ending in " ion " ex. participation . Same as Chinese, that's why it's so hard to understand when a Chinese speaks English.
I'm British, and I lived in Strasbourg and Lyon for a year, I have to disagree re. the French.

As for Chinese, I now live in the US and my exposure to Chinese is mainly illegal immigrants from Fujian. Perhaps thats a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia