U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
post videos of those nationalities speaking english and let's ACTUALLY compare.

and do you think korea, japan, and china would do better with call centers geared to native english speakers? if a lot of money can be made coaching in philippines and india which happen to be the top countries in asia for english fluency and literacy, HOW MUCH MORE MONEY can be made with coaching in countries say japan, korea, thailand, korea, russia, etc?
Whay are you getting all heated?

No money will be made coaching call center workers in Japan and Korea because the wages they would have to pay workers do not suit call center outsourcing economics. Thats why there are none, and there is no money to be made there, those countries are too expensive.

As for China - the problem is you'd have to train them to speak English in the first place, a huge cost.
The Philippines and India have widespread English speaking already, and that is probably the basis for the "odd" enunication. If ones' country has developed its own brand of English, it will have its evolved own idiosyncracies. In contrast, In countries where English is not widespread and needs to be taught, those who do speak it have likely learned it from foreign sources which have a greater commonality of syllable emphasis and word emphasis. Its organic versus processed so to speak!

You seem to be taking this emotionally, it's not an attack or a disparagement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,847,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Whay are you getting all heated?

No money will be made coaching call center workers in Japan and Korea because the wages they would have to pay workers do not suit call center outsourcing economics. Thats why there are none, and there is no money to be made there, those countries are too expensive.

As for China - the problem is you'd have to train them to speak English in the first place, a huge cost.
The Philippines and India have widespread English speaking already, and that is probably the basis for the "odd" enunication. If ones' country has developed its own brand of English, it will have its evolved own idiosyncracies. In contrast, In countries where English is not widespread and needs to be taught, those who do speak it have likely learned it from foreign sources which have a greater commonality of syllable emphasis and word emphasis. Its organic versus processed so to speak!

You seem to be taking this emotionally, it's not an attack or a disparagement.

i see what you're saying, but i still want your proofs as to why it has to be filipino english that sounds funny and not any other non-native english speaking nationalities. im not saying filipino english is perfect, but filipinos surely have better grasp of the english language than most of the non-native speakers.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i see what you're saying, but i still want your proofs as to why it has to be filipino english that sounds funny and not any other non-native english speaking nationalities. im not saying filipino english is perfect, but filipinos surely have better grasp of the english language than most of the non-native speakers.
Yes they are more likely to speak English - thats not the issue. Their grammar and vocabulary are fine.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I'm British, and I lived in Strasbourg and Lyon for a year, I have to disagree re. the French.

As for Chinese, I now live in the US and my exposure to Chinese is mainly illegal immigrants from Fujian. Perhaps thats a difference?
Well I have heard French people speak English too and those words that end in " ion " still sound so much like a French word. I love how French people speak English because their accent is sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia