U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Which language is more likely to be understood by most Filipinos - Tagalog or English?
In my hometown Iloilo, people understand both English and Tagalog. We have our own language but because we are taught Tagalog and English in Primary up to College so we can understand both. We also learn Tagalog from watching TV. TV shows and TeleNovelas are spoken in Tagalog.

Filipino language is a blend of Malay, Spanish and English. That is why many foreigners find it so weird when they hear Filipinos interviewed on TV because Filipinos would say something in Tagalog and would say something in English or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
What about Bicol? Can you understand it? I dont know if the people they are interviewing are speaking Tagalog or Bicol.

TV-PATROL BICOL DEC 13, 2012 MULADBUCAD PEQ. - YouTube

Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I thought these places speak Tagalog ?
yes, they speak tagalog. I am part tagalog because my grandfather is from Quezon province. An ethnic tagalog. Most Filipinos speak tagalog.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,845,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
What about Bicol? Can you understand it? I dont know if the people they are interviewing are speaking Tagalog or Bicol.

i can understand some of it. i think the first guy spoke mostly in tagalog.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 9,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Filipino language is a blend of Malay, Spanish and English. That is why many foreigners find it so weird when they hear Filipinos interviewed on TV because Filipinos would say something in Tagalog and would say something in English or vice versa.

That is what I noticed in those YouTube videos about the RH bill!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM

How about this in Ilocano? do you guys understand a little bit of it?

LALAKI a napaltugan itti syudad ti vigan.flv - YouTube
TV Patrol Ilocos

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
How about this in Ilocano? do you guys understand a little bit of it?

LALAKI a napaltugan itti syudad ti vigan.flv - YouTube
TV Patrol Ilocos

if they were talking in straight ilocano, i wouldnt have understood any of it. but as with any filipino speaking in native language, there tend to be some english words/filipinized english (e.g. droga for drugs) that can be picked up on.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM

i remember the GMA show Encantadia (one of my favs ever) where when it showed the fairy world, the cast would talk in old-school, formal tagalog. of course there were still a few filipinized english words in the fairy world (there was one that i used to remember 'cause i was surprised they used that word instead of the actual old-school filipino term), but it was enchanting to listen to the old-school, formal tagalog.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
That is what I noticed in those YouTube videos about the RH bill!
I actually think it is better if Filipinos would just speak in straight Filipino or just straight English but more and more younger generation are mixing both languages.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

there are part that they speak tagalog. The guy was hit by the thunder and died at the age of 47 who was unlucky because he was hit by thunder but his son who is 18 yrs old survived and escape the incident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia