U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,845,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I actually think it is better if Filipinos would just speak in straight Filipino or just straight English but more and more younger generation are mixing both languages.

i agree. the filipino language sounds so much better when not peppered with english/filipinized english. i hate it when i listen to the young ones talking in taglish and making it sound like they're aristocrats or from upscale/prestigious universities or schools. unfortunately, even the journalists, who are supposed to be trained in formal media language, are mixing a lot of unnecessary english when there are filipino counterparts to those words. so now the young ones are exposed to just haphazard speaking.

when i was growing up, most tv shows were in english, except of course for the filipino soaps. the news were in straight english, tv hosts spoke in either straight filipino or straight english (the latter more often), print media were in straight english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Quote:
I actually think it is better if Filipinos would just speak in straight Filipino or just straight English but more and more younger generation are mixing both languages.
I agree to preserved the language also.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM

9,535 posts, read 9,417,427 times
How many years do Filipinos study English in school?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i agree. the filipino language sounds so much better when not peppered with english/filipinized english. i hate it when i listen to the young ones talking in taglish and making it sound like they're aristocrats or from upscale/prestigious universities or schools. unfortunately, even the journalists, who are supposed to be trained in formal media language, are mixing a lot of unnecessary english when there are filipino counterparts to those words. so now the young ones are exposed to just haphazard speaking.

when i was growing up, most tv shows were in english, except of course for the filipino soaps. the news were in straight english, tv hosts spoke in either straight filipino or straight english (the latter more often), print media were in straight english.
I agree with you, atleast there are still people like us who hate Taglish. It sounds horrible and is murdering our language. I do not understand why they need to use an English word when there is also a Filipino equivalent of the word . Yes there might be English words that do not have any Filipino equivalent but most of the time, even if there is just a Filipino equivalent word, people especially on tv, commercials still do not bother to use the Filipino word and would still use an English word.
It is like some Filipinos especially the younger ones, think it is not cool to speak Straight Filipino or that it's old school that's why they speak Taglish.

What is Filipinized English ?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
in my generation, we studied english from preschool to college. of course at preschool, it wasnt the actual study of english yet, but more of learning to read books written in english and being taught to greet each other in english. math and science were taught in english in preschool.

unfortunately in my opinion, ever since former pres. estrada enforced filipino as medium of instruction in schools (after i finished college), the philippines lost its edge with communicating in english a bit. i've been away from the philippines for some time now, so i dont know if it's still the policy there. however, even with that, the philippine business english still tops the world apparently, even topping US.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In Private Schools, 1st grade up to College

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Quote:

yeah, before everything is fine. TV Patrol supposed to be Filipino Language only, RPN Newswatch is english language only. ANC Channel news & ABS-CBN World Tonight is english.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM

9,535 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:

Maybe this will help:

Philippine English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, atleast there are still people like us who hate Taglish. It sounds horrible and is murdering our language. I do not understand why they need to use an English word when there is also a Filipino equivalent of the word . Yes there might be English words that do not have any Filipino equivalent but most of the time, even if there is just a Filipino equivalent word, people especially on tv, commercials still do not bother to use the Filipino word and would still use an English word.
It is like some Filipinos especially the younger ones, think it is not cool to speak Straight Filipino or that it's old school that's why they speak Taglish.

it's my own way of describing english words being used the filipino way. let me try to come up with some examples:

drugs = droga in filipino
cellphone = selpon
television = telebisyon
school = eskwelahan (why not paaralan?)

that one filipinized english word from Encantadia would've best exemplified it since i know there was a formal filipino counterpart to it, but that word still escapes me at the moment

Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Quote:
it's my own way of describing english words being used the filipino way. let me try to come up with some examples:

drugs = droga in filipino
cellphone = selpon
television = telebisyon
school = eskwelahan (why not paaralan?)

that one filipinized english word from Encantadia would've best exemplified it since i know there was a formal filipino counterpart to it, but that word still escapes me at the moment
droga, telebisyon, and eskwelahan are all Filipinized Spanish. Droga is straight Spanish. And Filipinized Spanish IMO sounds much better than Filipinized English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia