U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,846,574 times

Advertisements

Not sure if India would count as Asia but I found every large Indian city I went to to be disappointing. After that...Beijing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM

670 posts, read 730,292 times
Why wouldn't India count as Asia???

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 PM

653 posts, read 539,469 times
I found Johor Bahru in malaysia to be disappointing; it could have much more - and maybe it will in the future.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Disappointing depends on what you expect. I don't know why someone would come to Manila with high hopes, but if they do, then they'll be disappointed. If you left disappointed, then you came to Manila misinformed. What were you expecting? You could have saved yourself from disappointment had you read all the travel blogs about Manila

Personally, I love the chaotic environment because I like being around tons of people with a lot going on, but I know that it gives most people a headache.
I am Filipino but if there is a way to skip Manila and land directly say in Laoag or Cebu or Davao, I would really appreciate it

Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,460 times
Hello, I,m a newbie here in this forum. KL was a bit disappointed for me. I thought it would be somewhat like Bangkok but cleaner and more organized. Well..It is really cleaner and more organized, but the city itself is very dull. Penang impressed me much more, especially the food.

I have never been to both Manila and Jakarta (surprisingly for a frequent traveler like me), but I always thought the two look so much like Bangkok, cityscape wise I would say.

How do these three cities differ from one another? in terms of landscape, attractions, infrastructure, cleanliness, people, and lifestyle of the people?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:21 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
is singapore sterile and boring? - Postcards from Rachel

Where else in Asia, except maybe KL, can you experience authentic Indian, Chinese, Malay, and western for that matter (as well as Vietnamese, Burmese, Thai, Indonesian, Fillipino, Middle Eastern in the many enclaves) in one city? ...
except nobody goes out traveling in order to see those in one city. What's the point?

Plus, you probably can have the experience of seeing more cultural diversity in various pockets of Los Angeles or Toronto or London. Singapore? it is kind of diverse but not really.

I know you said "where else in Asia" but people travel to Asia to see Chinese, or India or Japanese culture, not a watered-down mini version in Singapore. Your argument is like saying "where else can one see French, German and Italian culture than in Switzerland?" But people still go to France, Germany and Italy, not Switzerland.

Singapore IS boring. The only reason many westerners still go is because they find more comfort there: a clean, orderly highly westernized city in Asia, much more familiar than a real Asian city. One of my jetsetting friends once told me Singapore is definitely the most Asian boring country he has ever been to and he would hate his company to send him over there again. The idea of flying 16+ hours from North America or Europe to see Singapore is absolutely insane.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM

114 posts, read 57,884 times
I've been to Bangalore and Bombay in India and I must admit that both cities are a complete mess. While I did not expect a megapolis like Bombay with 11M+ population in a developing country to be very organized, Bangalore, the so called "Silicon valley" of India, was a complete mess with almost non-existent infrastructure, pothole filled roads teaming with "out of the world" drivers. They also dont seem to have any decent public transport system in spite of having some 6M+ population. 70% of the people are on bikes who seem to go in all directions and rest on cars and other forms of transport. Interesting part was the space maintained between vehicles in a road, which should not be more than an inch in most cases ! I can easily write a 10 pager on this, but leave it for another day.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekspere View Post
I've been to Bangalore and Bombay in India and I must admit that both cities are a complete mess. While I did not expect a megapolis like Bombay with 11M+ population in a developing country to be very organized, Bangalore, the so called "Silicon valley" of India, was a complete mess with almost non-existent infrastructure, pothole filled roads teaming with "out of the world" drivers. They also dont seem to have any decent public transport system in spite of having some 6M+ population. 70% of the people are on bikes who seem to go in all directions and rest on cars and other forms of transport. Interesting part was the space maintained between vehicles in a road, which should not be more than an inch in most cases ! I can easily write a 10 pager on this, but leave it for another day.
true. this is what the American/British media often touted as the "world's largest democracy" as if that means something positive.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 AM

431 posts, read 346,524 times
I didn't like any Asian cities besides Hong Kong, Taipei and Tokyo. Was mildly disappointed by Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore, etc. Wasn't expecting much, though.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,366,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
true. this is what the American/British media often touted as the "world's largest democracy" as if that means something positive.
Nothing like a dictatorship to tackle the problems of traffic, congestion, and pollution. Just look at China (or Pakistan for a closer example). Those dictatorships in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East are also shining examples of good government. And let's not forget the former Soviet states.

Last edited by xeric; 08-04-2015 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or