U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM

21 posts, read 53,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm in the processing of uploading some of my photos from China online. What I loved about Xiamen is it has an old Chinese village feel, a bit like Lijiang or Dali, has a well preserved old quarter, includes Gulangyu, a very pleasant island and former foreign enclave just off the coast, is clean, presentable and has one of the highest GDP's per capita in China. Fuzhou lacks character, attractions...most tourists to Fujian see Xiamen, the Hakka tulous and Wuyishan. I think Quanzhou offers more than Fuzhou as well.

Thanks for the information. I wanted to go to Xiamen when I was in China but spent all my time in Shanghai and Guangzhou... next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM

590 posts, read 663,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
What cities in Asia left left you disappointed? Why?
After years of hearing how pretty Kunming, China must be, I was disappointed during my first visit. The city itself is less beautiful in my opinion than other cities in the southern half of China. Even less famous cities like Nanning, with its many trees, Zhongshan, with its food and friendly people, and Wuxi, with its impressive skyline and nearby late Taihu, have their own characteristics.

I found Kunming to be grey with little naturally scenery inside the city. The service workers also tended to be unfriendly. The nightlife was also lacking, even compared to the three Chinese cities mentioned above.

The lessoned learned was that the beautiful places are all located outside of Kunming, therefore time should not be spent exploring the city itself.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
After years of hearing how pretty Kunming, China must be, I was disappointed during my first visit. The city itself is less beautiful in my opinion than other cities in the southern half of China. Even less famous cities like Nanning, with its many trees, Zhongshan, with its food and friendly people, and Wuxi, with its impressive skyline and nearby late Taihu, have their own characteristics.

I found Kunming to be grey with little naturally scenery inside the city. The service workers also tended to be unfriendly. The nightlife was also lacking, even compared to the three Chinese cities mentioned above.

The lessoned learned was that the beautiful places are all located outside of Kunming, therefore time should not be spent exploring the city itself.
I heard Kunming was just a place to stop over before you explored the scenic delights of Yunnan province. I don't generally hear positive things about most of the big Chinese cities.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 PM

590 posts, read 663,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I heard Kunming was just a place to stop over before you explored the scenic delights of Yunnan province. I don't generally hear positive things about most of the big Chinese cities.
You must have had better sources for information than I had.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
You must have had better sources for information than I had.
Yeah I heard it somewhere. When people think Yunnan province they think Dali, Lijiang, the Giant Buddha at Lishan, Tiger Leaping Gorge, the mountains, ethnic minority tribes.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 AM

18,515 posts, read 9,574,204 times
I found Seoul disappointing because the people were unfriendly during the year that I worked there in contrast to other Asian cities I lived or visited. For example, only once during my year there did anyone speak to me without me speaking first and there were numerous occasions where someone would actually get up and sit somewhere else when I sat next to them on the subway or bus, etc. It's a strange place and I talked to many westerners there who loved it and many that hated it.

The things I wasn't disappointed in was the food and excellent transportation system.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,089 times
Johor Bahru. Absolutely nothing to see when we went there.

Kuala Lumpur -- very car-centric for an Asian city. Also does not seem to have a lot of attractions. Was expecting a city at the same level as Bangkok, but just not up to that level. Singapore is better when it comes to modern amenities while Penang has more charm.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Kuala Lumpur -- very car-centric for an Asian city. Also does not seem to have a lot of attractions. Was expecting a city at the same level as Bangkok, but just not up to that level. Singapore is better when it comes to modern amenities while Penang has more charm.
Most of those who go to JB are Singaporeans looking for cheap shopping.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 53,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

KL is more car centric than BKK? No way.

KL is quite comparable to Singapore. Many, many similarities.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
KL is more car centric than BKK? No way.

KL is quite comparable to Singapore. Many, many similarities.
Singapore is much easier to get around on public transport. KL is pretty car-centric, probably around the same level as Bangkok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or