Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

Yeah they're both like siblings...both archipelagos with a most Austronesian people, with Abrahamic religions - Islam and Christianity (unlike the Buddhism of SE and E Asia), and both probably aren't reaching their full potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien Lee View Post
No need to fight man. Filipino and Indonesians are good people. Those countries are not at top of the list to visit, but people are good.
true both are filled with one of the friendliest people on earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah they're both like siblings...both archipelagos with a most Austronesian people, with Abrahamic religions - Islam and Christianity (unlike the Buddhism of SE and E Asia), and both probably aren't reaching their full potential.
true... why are we fighting hehehehe basically came from the same stock, history changes different prespective and point of view

Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 AM

116 posts, read 169,687 times
Kuala Lumpur, couldn't stand it.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 16,953 times
I have twice visited Manila on duty .. first in 1997, second in 2012.
Both had provided experiences that were not fun at all !
First, got the bad impression when landing on the Main Airport in the Philipines, Ninoy Aquino .. really very bad ..
It's international terminal building was very dull and over-crowded, as if I had had just arrived at a bus station in Jakarta (sorry to say)
My female colleague's wallet was stolen from her purse .... three days I stayed there, it is very difficult to get food to suit our tastes. What a nightmare !!
The second visit was a 15 years later, and the airport was still in the same condition, even got worse in my opinion (I've noticed that this Philipines' primary airport is named as the worst airport in the world ?)
The rather to be enjoyed maybe only areas around the CBDs alone
beyond that? ... hmmm .. it is very contrasting and contradictory ... if they do not want to be regarded as a very seedy scenery.

Last edited by Jembeluwek; 02-03-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM

215 posts, read 378,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Nobody mentioned Delhi. What a dump.
Singapore is the most boring large city I've ever visited.
Beijing and Shanghai are about tied for worst air pollution.
Tokyo is the most difficult to navigate.
Seoul is not especially visitor friendly.
Bukhara was the most primitive.
I left Jakarta for Bali, shortly after arriving. It didn't look promising.
Why was Singapore so boring? Was it sterile?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
Why was Singapore so boring? Was it sterile?
People have said that, but honestly, they probably think clean = sterile. Why don't they call Japan or Germany sterile, but only Singapore? Because maybe Singapore is just developed/expensive, while they expect SEA countries to be poor and cheap, so they can live like kings.

That poster has negative opinions of all those Asian cities so I wouldn't take their opinion seriously.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
Honestly to some extent it's all in the mind...

Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Honestly to some extent it's all in the mind...
Yes, it's subjective, to an extent, although there are cities which nobody seems to like and a few which everyone seems to like. It seems for most world cities, whether it be Singapore or Rome or Rio, there are those who will like it and those who will not.

Personally, I can't say I've ever been that disappointed in a city...maybe Memphis, TN, a bit, because I researched enough to know about it and expect what I would see. On the other hand, I can say I've been pleasantly surprised by some cities I didn't think of much by seeing things the guides don't tell you.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
People have said that, but honestly, they probably think clean = sterile. Why don't they call Japan or Germany sterile, but only Singapore? Because maybe Singapore is just developed/expensive, while they expect SEA countries to be poor and cheap, so they can live like kings.

That poster has negative opinions of all those Asian cities so I wouldn't take their opinion seriously.
Japan is actually cleaner than Singapore, but I think the reason that Singapore is called sterile is because there are more laws that are uniquely Singaporean (no chewing gum) and the signs that these laws are enforced are more prominent. In Japan, it is more relaxed, people just follow the rules, while in Singapore, it is like people follow the rules because Big Brother is watching. As a tourist, for example, we eat popcorn at the theme parks. If there are a few that my kids drop on the floor, we clean that up after we finish eating the bucket in Japan. In Singapore, we try to clean up immediately each kernel that drops on the floor for fear that we will be fined or arrested there for littering.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Japan is actually cleaner than Singapore, but I think the reason that Singapore is called sterile is because there are more laws that are uniquely Singaporean (no chewing gum) and the signs that these laws are enforced are more prominent. In Japan, it is more relaxed, people just follow the rules, while in Singapore, it is like people follow the rules because Big Brother is watching. As a tourist, for example, we eat popcorn at the theme parks. If there are a few that my kids drop on the floor, we clean that up after we finish eating the bucket in Japan. In Singapore, we try to clean up immediately each kernel that drops on the floor for fear that we will be fined or arrested there for littering.
Honestly, people make such a big thing about it. I don't even think about those laws when I visit, they won't effect you unless you're doing something wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia