U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:06 AM

6 posts, read 4,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
seems like a lot of westerners are making judgements for friendliest asian country by the way the women look up to a westerner / white man?

the poorest countries usually appear the friendliest because they think they can benefit from you, possibly help them get out of their 3rd world country, financial assistance, your like a walking ATM in their eyes, people are not friendly for no reason, it usually means they want something from you.

and the most unfriendly asians seem to be the ones that dont want anything from you except for your business, they are not trying to be your best friend, they only want to do business with you, not looking for a way out or for a green card or financial assistance or sponsorship to help them immigrate, etc.
What a load

You are making such a broad sweeping statement, when that is not the case for the majority.

Yes, some may have those intentions, but the majority are friendly because it is in their culture and traditions.

You clearly have not had enough direct experience with individuals from cultures in Asia.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-19-2015 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: If you have to alter a word to get around our filters you aren't allowed to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,316,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos are friendly but they will also openly talk **** about you and laugh at you when you are walking by. Maybe that happens everywhere.
I noticed that when I was there also, some girls were laughing as I went by and I told my wife I was offended, she said that they were actually flirting.... who knew?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:19 PM

349 posts, read 341,334 times
Sri Lanka
Indonesia (Bali)
Taiwan
Malaysia/Thailand
Vietnam
China
Hong Kong/Singapore

Of the ones I've been to.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:02 AM

223 posts, read 263,908 times
Friendly: Philippines and Japan
Leas Friendly: China and Hongkong

Old 06-08-2015, 01:33 PM

722 posts, read 920,740 times
Ive noticed lots of Filipinos are very unfriendly when doing business or working in retail? they talk in a very stern unfriendly tone when trying to buy something from them, very similar to a Chinese from Hong Kong

Ive even had some Chinese give me a nasty unfriendly look when paying for something or buying groceries, almost like they dont care if you ever come back again? this happens mostly in chinatown or really busy shopping areas.

I was at the weekend farmer's market and some Filipinos had a vegetable stand, I remember they were very rude to an old lady looking for vegetables, they said dont open it! you have to buy it now! and they said dont touch if your not going to buy! they were not very friendly.

Last edited by green papaya; 06-08-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 01:49 PM

93 posts, read 69,473 times
Even though statistically in the U.S, American born Asian women are more likely to date and marry outside of their race than FOB Asian women, my personal experience has been the total opposite. In the dating scene, as a White guy I have had way more success with Asian women that speak English with an obvious foreign accent than Asian women who speak English with an American accent. American born Asian women tend to be extremely stuck up whenever I approach them. In my personal experience, the Asian women in the U.S with the FOB accents to be friendlier.

Last edited by Salvatore Marciano; 06-08-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 PM

349 posts, read 341,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Even though statistically in the U.S, American born Asian women are more likely to date and marry outside of their race than FOB Asian women, my personal experience has been the total opposite. In the dating scene, as a White guy I have had way more success with Asian women that speak English with an obvious foreign accent than Asian women who speak English with an American accent. American born Asian women tend to be extremely stuck up whenever I approach them. In my personal experience, the Asian women in the U.S with the FOB accents to be friendlier.
Maybe because the American-born Asian women are American women who happen to be of Asian ancestry?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 AM

42 posts, read 43,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Friendiest- Cambodia
Least Friendliest- Philippines
Just gos to shows how different peoples impressions are of countries. Im a solo traveler. I thought the people in the Philippines were the nicest people I had met in any of SEA. It really surprises me that more Americans do not vacation there. Beautiful beaches, shopping, and the history both WW2 and the history of the country itself. Add the fact that English is widely spoken.

Quote:
Filipinos are friendly but they will also openly talk **** about you and laugh at you when you are walking by. Maybe that happens everywhere.
Probably flirting. Especially if you have light hair and a straight nose. I got a lot of stares and smiles. Also got asked "wheres your girlfriend" to many times to count.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy615 View Post
Just gos to shows how different peoples impressions are of countries. Im a solo traveler. I thought the people in the Philippines were the nicest people I had met in any of SEA. It really surprises me that more Americans do not vacation there. Beautiful beaches, shopping, and the history both WW2 and the history of the country itself. Add the fact that English is widely spoken.

Probably flirting. Especially if you have light hair and a straight nose. I got a lot of stares and smiles. Also got asked "wheres your girlfriend" to many times to count.
This is what I meant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnVKFmOPKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ShYk4h1Enw

Filipinos are very direct when it comes to discussing physical features. Filipinos (especially men) like to joke a lot. So the directness and the joking can come off as rude to most Westerners.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM

399 posts, read 579,436 times
I never thought someone asking you where you are from or how old you are was strange? I didn't experience these things, maybe someone saying that I gained weight since the last time they saw me, etc.. I was not offended. It's true, I did gain weight. Some people are just very sensitive. One kid called me "Joe" once and my wife snapped at him. I was in the Visaya's which I don't imagine is any different from the North or South. People were very nice and friendly. No problems what so ever. Much friendlier than Americans overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or