U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM

10,437 posts, read 12,464,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I found the Japanese to be very friendly, especially to a stupid tourist like me who didn't know what the heck he was doing. They really enjoy helping people out and giving directions if you are confused. There was one elderly gentleman who walked with me for about 20 minutes up to the temple on the hill next to Kyoto because he saw that I had taken a wrong turn. Then there was the hotel owner who saw me walk outside when it was sprinkling and insisted on giving me a rain jacket without me asking. He also gave me a ride to the nearest bus station so that I could visit the nearby attractions.

I hadn't encountered that level of hospitality anywhere before.
^This.
First time i went to Japan (2010) i was hanging out on Shibuya square on a rainy day,
Not even 5 minutes there I had a girl in her mid-20's come up to me offering her $6 umbrella which i accepted out of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 739,178 times
The Chinese do not "pretend" much. If they like you, they will be very enthusiastic, otherwise they will show that too.

I think some level of "pretending" is necessary to be polite.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,640,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
The Chinese do not "pretend" much. If they like you, they will be very enthusiastic, otherwise they will show that too.

I think some level of "pretending" is necessary to be polite.
I would not call it pretending, if people are polite to each other. If a waiter brings me some food, I say "thank you" and smille, its just a manner and no pretending. My chinese friends then always asked me why do you say that? why do you smile at her? She is just a foreigner. This leads to a very strong " I do not care about others" mentality, which I absolutely do not like.

I am friendly to everyone until he prove that he is not worth it, Chinese seems to do it other way round.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,265,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I would not call it pretending, if people are polite to each other. If a waiter brings me some food, I say "thank you" and smille, its just a manner and no pretending. My chinese friends then always asked me why do you say that? why do you smile at her? She is just a foreigner. This leads to a very strong " I do not care about others" mentality, which I absolutely do not like.

I am friendly to everyone until he prove that he is not worth it, Chinese seems to do it other way round.
I do the same I consider it being a decent empathetic human being.(I loathe the hierarchy found in some cultures). But it's their country if they want to live that way.

Same here.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,220,567 times
Default being too friendly is suspicious behavior

Quote:

when a stranger tries to be too friendly to a me it makes them look like something is wrong, too much smiling , and using a stranger's first name like they think your their best friend is actually impolite.

One thing I dont like is a fake friendy smile and a handshake from a stranger or salesman trying to get into your friend zone, I wont even extend my hand.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 PM

1,370 posts, read 555,254 times
I think "courteous" is a better description than "friendly" for Japanese. In more than one occasion, I encountered some really nice Japanese who went the extra miles to show me direction.

In South Korea, I encountered South Korean office girl offering to help me carry the shopping bag when I was in the crowded subway. That happened 20+ years ago and that girl was not much younger than I was. And she didn't know I am a tourist. I guess this is not related to friendliness or courtesy. It is just their culture. In my experience, most Korean girls are very polite while guys are generally rude. On a Sunday morning when I strolled in a park in Seoul, I came across half a dozen girls asking me in a very polite manner on direction.

Generally Canadians, people in Hawaii and many Europeans are more friendly. People in Mainland are more or less as unfriendly as East Asians.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:

That is restricted to just Mainland Chinese culture. When they call the attention of waiter/waitress, they habitually just yell "server" literally.

In other Chinese communities, the customers are typically more polite towards the waiter/waitress. Hardly would they be so rude to just label them as "server".

IMO it is very unwise to be rude to waiter/waitress because you don't know what they will add on to your food.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 08-02-2016 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,371,563 times
Friendliest: Thailand and Cambodia

Least Friendly: Malaysia and Myanmar

Old 08-02-2016, 07:09 PM

542 posts, read 492,267 times
In my opinion, it's really a direct result of your interaction. Mind you, I've never been to Europe but as far as I can tell, all of Central America and SE Asia are just as friendly as you are.

I do however believe that there is a separation among different cities or regions but in general, you get what you give.

With that being said, I'd have to say that Nicaragua is much more easy to establish a relationship, followed by the Philippines (out of my travel experience). So, I guess in Asia i would say from what I know that the PI is #1 on my list (fake or not).

Japan would be on the bottom of the list but still it's been pretty friendly for me in the 3 1/2 years I lived there. Even there, I met more nice people than a-holes by a long margin.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:44 PM

In general Philippines is quite friendly especially the female, ranging from old age grandma to young girls. In those department stores in Makati, I always liked to start conversation with some Spanish descent sales girls. Even though they knew I was not there for shopping, they seldom walked away.

But in Philippines, I personally feel very insecure in watching security guard holding shotgun to "protect" McDonald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or