U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 65,929 times

Advertisements

I haven't done much of Asia...especially not South East or the Far East...the friendliest I have been to is Georgia if you want to consider it Asia...incredibly hospitable people and if you enjoy drinking alcohol then you will enjoy the hospitality even more...

I agree on Sri Lanka...lovely people and a very nice laid back lifestyle...

For those who said Korea...are you able to elaborate...it is a country I am considering at present...it seems that South East Asia is generally considered significantly friendlier than the Far East...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringerbell View Post
I haven't done much of Asia...especially not South East or the Far East...the friendliest I have been to is Georgia if you want to consider it Asia...incredibly hospitable people and if you enjoy drinking alcohol then you will enjoy the hospitality even more...

I agree on Sri Lanka...lovely people and a very nice laid back lifestyle...

For those who said Korea...are you able to elaborate...it is a country I am considering at present...it seems that South East Asia is generally considered significantly friendlier than the Far East...
South-East Asia is part of the 'Far East.'

I haven't been to Korea but my auntie has and she said she didn't find Koreans very friendly.

Thailand seems more friendly on the surface but a lot of people also don't seem that friendly. Sometimes they can be downright prickly if they don't get their way. The Vietnamese will constantly badger you, but most of them seem in between Malaysia/Thailand and China. In China you kind of get lost in the crowd. I felt Taiwan was the most genuinely friendly country in the 'Far East'. Malaysia can sometimes be friendly, away from the big cities. I haven't been to Cambodia or Laos but I hear they are very friendly there.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 AM

56 posts, read 100,077 times
Friendly country? In what sense?
For me friendly start when I can walk to any female and ask her for a date and this is easy done in Thailand and most unfriendly country in the world is USA where you can lose your job and everything else if you ask woman for a date.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
I would say Philippines is the friendliest known for being Hospitable

Friendly Philippines - YouTube

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
For the countries where people traditionally go to teach English, I would think Japan and Taiwan are the friendliest while Korea and China are least friendly.

The Philippines surely is a very friendly place, but there's not much of a market to teach English there. If you are a young white guy, the ladies there are among the friendliest you can find. I have a female friend who was going around town with her white fiance trying to prepare for their wedding, and she said that her fiance gets outstanding service, much better than what she had ever experienced before. It did get to the point in a couple of places where some salesladies seem to be flirting with her fiance and almost pretended he did not come with a female companion.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
For the countries where people traditionally go to teach English, I would think Japan and Taiwan are the friendliest while Korea and China are least friendly.

The Philippines surely is a very friendly place, but there's not much of a market to teach English there. If you are a young white guy, the ladies there are among the friendliest you can find. I have a female friend who was going around town with her white fiance trying to prepare for their wedding, and she said that her fiance gets outstanding service, much better than what she had ever experienced before. It did get to the point in a couple of places where some salesladies seem to be flirting with her fiance and almost pretended he did not come with a female companion.
That indicates that the Filipinos friendliness might be more superficial than most are aware of.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM

21 posts, read 65,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
South-East Asia is part of the 'Far East.'

I haven't been to Korea but my auntie has and she said she didn't find Koreans very friendly.

Thailand seems more friendly on the surface but a lot of people also don't seem that friendly. Sometimes they can be downright prickly if they don't get their way. The Vietnamese will constantly badger you, but most of them seem in between Malaysia/Thailand and China. In China you kind of get lost in the crowd. I felt Taiwan was the most genuinely friendly country in the 'Far East'. Malaysia can sometimes be friendly, away from the big cities. I haven't been to Cambodia or Laos but I hear they are very friendly there.
Yeah Cambodia seems to get good press from everyone people wise...and so too does Taiwan...very rarely read of people saying they dislike it...same seems to go with Indonesia...

Malaysia in the Philippines seems to divide opinion with people saying its really friendly or not friendly at all...

Thailand I presume cos of all the tourism is less friendly than it used to be...although I've heard its pretty friendly outside of tourist areas and up North...

Korea gets a lot of bad press...not sure if thats cos there are just so many english teachers there that they get heard more...

Vietnam i've heard can be different depending on whether your in Hanoi or HCM with the general opinion being that Hanoi is cold...were you badgered in both cities?...

I've heard a similar thing said about China...that Chengdu for instance is a lovely place to live while Shanghai can be cold...

Of course all of these are peoples opinions which im weighing up with what I have heard here...

Lao I can't say I know much about at all...

Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Most to least friendly (only including Asian countries East of Bangladesh, REAL Asia)...

Tier 1:
Thailand
Philippines
Laos
Cambodia

Tier 2:
Indonesia
Malaysia
Vietnam
Burma

Tier 3:
Japan
South Korea
Singapore
Taiwan

Tier 4:
Hong Kong
China

Don't know enough about the people in Mongolia/North Korea/Brunei/Timor-Leste.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That indicates that the Filipinos friendliness might be more superficial than most are aware of.
But it is not just women that are friendly, men are friendly too.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringerbell View Post
Yeah Cambodia seems to get good press from everyone people wise...and so too does Taiwan...very rarely read of people saying they dislike it...same seems to go with Indonesia...

Malaysia in the Philippines seems to divide opinion with people saying its really friendly or not friendly at all...

Thailand I presume cos of all the tourism is less friendly than it used to be...although I've heard its pretty friendly outside of tourist areas and up North...

Korea gets a lot of bad press...not sure if thats cos there are just so many english teachers there that they get heard more...

Vietnam i've heard can be different depending on whether your in Hanoi or HCM with the general opinion being that Hanoi is cold...were you badgered in both cities?...

I've heard a similar thing said about China...that Chengdu for instance is a lovely place to live while Shanghai can be cold...

Of course all of these are peoples opinions which im weighing up with what I have heard here...

Lao I can't say I know much about at all...
Yeah when a country gets a lot of tourists the people get that sort of mentality. I wondering if Cambodia will become more like Thailand, that people will become more jaded and opportunistic.

I was badgered a lot more in HCM than Hanoi for some reason. Can't count the number of times I was offered a motorbike ride. I barely walked because of that.

I've heard the bad press about Korea, both online and IRL. I'm guessing they're sort of like the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or