Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 12:25 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times

Advertisements

Genuinely friendly: Japan/ Thailand
Least: China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 06:58 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
In Asia, I've traveled to the Philippines, Japan, China, Turkey, India, South Korea and Malaysia. Folks were generally friendly throughout, with the exception of Turkey (and even then, most were friendly) where I had multiple unfriendly interactions.

One caveat is that the Japanese are very polite as a matter of culture, but they weren't as outwardly welcoming as Filipinos or Malaysians.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:26 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,186 times
Big generalizations ahead:

Everyone is polite in Japan but they’re not very outgoing, especially toward foreigners.

In the Philippines, lots of people are outgoing and will talk to foreigners, but so many people are rude. Almost all the taxi drivers are rude

Old 05-10-2021, 09:16 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Quote explained the reason why people in Singapore, Macau, HK, Beijing ,Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen don't seem to be very friendly to foreigners. Most are not looking for a way out or a lover or financial support from other countries.

Also, smiles are less common and people may speak bluntly in some Asian countries because of cultural and education differences, not actually being unfriendly.
We have found people in China to be very friendly and we always loved travelling there. (Hope the animosity between our governments does not stop us ever visiting again)

In Japan we were on a tour and we hardly had an opportunity to speak much to anyone Japanese, but those we dealt with were reserved, polite but not friendly.

Only been to Bali in Indonesia and all I remember is the hawkers driving us crazy. Hated the place and will never return.

In Vietnam people were very friendly, really enjoyed Vietnam.

We have been to Malaysia a few times and the people are fine. Very pleasant people in Sabah in particular.

In Thailand we have found the people are indeed friendly when they want something from you, not otherwise.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:17 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Always found Malaysia most friendly. But spent a lot of time there. Never been to Japan, but I fully expect politeness would rule over friendliness. I know Thailand quite well, but never thought them friendly in the sense I would mean. Quick to anger as well. Cambodia had some good contacts, but also people often wanting something. Laos great little country, but found ir hard to connect. Indonesia, a mixed bag. Met some great people and loved travelling overland across the country as a backpacker. But had a nasty experience that could have been fatal as well. Every place has a bit of everything. Sri Lanka pretty good as well, but need more time to get a real picture. Never been to Philippines but hear it is beautiful but some care required perhaps above some of the neighbouring countries.

Hence Malaysia first. Love Sarawak on Borneo Island for friendliness (even thought to move there)
Second probably Indonesia. Very warm people in general and such an interesting country away from Bali.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 AM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Big generalizations ahead:

Everyone is polite in Japan but they’re not very outgoing, especially toward foreigners.

In the Philippines, lots of people are outgoing and will talk to foreigners, but so many people are rude. Almost all the taxi drivers are rude
Filipino culture is Asian but too different from nearby countries. Can talk with foreigners in easily understood English but the culture is different from English speaking western countries.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
this is SO SUBJECTIVE
there is a thin line between being a fiend and a friend

Old 06-05-2021, 06:07 PM

76 posts, read 38,844 times
From the places I've been in Asia I'd say:

Friendliest
Thailand
Taiwan
Japan (Most shy)

Indifferent
Laos
Cambodia
Myanmar

Unfriendly
S. Korea

Also I'm a white American if that means anything

Old 06-07-2021, 05:46 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Most the friendliest places seem to be countries that are relatively poor and rely on the tourist trade to boost the economy. Other places with relatively higher standards of living not so much.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:24 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Most the friendliest places seem to be countries that are relatively poor and rely on the tourist trade to boost the economy. Other places with relatively higher standards of living not so much.
That's only true on some levels. Slavs are generally super grumpy and most Slavic countries are poor. America is very rich and Americans generally are very friendly and chatty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia