U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times

Advertisements

They're all friendly if you know how to push the right buttons....just do your homework/research first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I guess it happens everywhere ? Except maybe in western countries .

What is important is a foreigner can talk to people and ask for assistance, directions or any favours. Filipinos would gladly help a foreigner.
Where I am, it is impossible to ask favours. Cab drivers don't bother to help when I am carrying a buggy and when I have to go somewhere I do not really know, they will just drop me off and will not even bother look for the place or ask some people where it is. In the Philippines, cab drivers help me carry my groceries and help me look for the place and not just drop me off in the street.
In the Supermarket, when I would pay for something that doesn't have a code, the cashier would not even ask a fellow salesperson to go there and check the code and the price. Here, it is either I will have to go there again and get one that has a code or I will just not get it any more. In the Philippines, the cashier would make a phone call to ask someone or ask another sales person to go there and get one that has a code.
Guangzhou is a big city full of immigrants. So people can be cold.
New York City may not be friendly either, but you can't say it represents America.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah when a country gets a lot of tourists the people get that sort of mentality. I wondering if Cambodia will become more like Thailand, that people will become more jaded and opportunistic.

I was badgered a lot more in HCM than Hanoi for some reason. Can't count the number of times I was offered a motorbike ride. I barely walked because of that.

I've heard the bad press about Korea, both online and IRL. I'm guessing they're sort of like the Chinese.
Generally speaking, Koreans can be more polite than Chinese (not much).
Chinese are less nationalist/racist than Koreans.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Guangzhou is a big city full of immigrants. So people can be cold.
New York City may not be friendly either, but you can't say it represents America.
Are Chinese known for their friendliness ?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Are Chinese known for their friendliness ?
It depends...as a whole, I don't think so, but I wonder if there's a rural vs urban divide.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 AM

154 posts, read 191,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It depends...as a whole, I don't think so, but I wonder if there's a rural vs urban divide.
The only time I meet friendly Chinese women is at a massage parlor. Other than that, most Chinese women in my opinion come off as cold and standoffish just like their Northern neighbor Russian women.

With the exception of Brazil, all other BRIC countries are not known for having friendly women. Not Russia, not India, and not China.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:29 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
The only time I meet friendly Chinese women is at a massage parlor. Other than that, most Chinese women in my opinion come off as cold and standoffish just like their Northern neighbor Russian women.

With the exception of Brazil, all other BRIC countries are not known for having friendly women. Not Russia, not India, and not China.
Whenever I see middle aged Asian (usually Chinese) or Indian women here they always have a really dour expression on their face.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 AM

843 posts, read 1,378,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think Chinese people are very friendly and are open to people asking for favors. But one can't really integrate easily into Chinese society as a foreigner.
Also, it's next to impossible for a Chinese to integrate into the U.S society and become an "insider". It's just really hard for anyone to integrate to a very different foreign country.

I think Chinese people are no less friendly than Americans, but Chinese don't smile at strangers. You have to know people and make friends with Chinese people, and then you will be impressed how friendly they are.

Don't forget that China is a less civilized, third world country where most people suffer from poverty. A lot of bad things could happen in China, that's why people don't trust strangers at all, and therefore many people are reluctant to offer help to strangers.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 AM

843 posts, read 1,378,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfu View Post
Friendly country? In what sense?
For me friendly start when I can walk to any female and ask her for a date and this is easy done in Thailand and most unfriendly country in the world is USA where you can lose your job and everything else if you ask woman for a date.
In the U.S, people are expected to try to appear friendly and courteous. But few people are genuine.

Yes, it really depends on how you interpret friendliness.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM

18,548 posts, read 9,586,076 times
Friendliest - Philippines and Thailand
Least Friendly - South Korea
Medium Friendly - China, Malaysia, Mongolia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or