U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Also, it's next to impossible for a Chinese to integrate into the U.S society and become an "insider". It's just really hard for anyone to integrate to a very different foreign country.

I think Chinese people are no less friendly than Americans, but Chinese don't smile at strangers. You have to know people and make friends with Chinese people, and then you will be impressed how friendly they are.

Don't forget that China is a less civilized, third world country where most people suffer from poverty. A lot of bad things could happen in China, that's why people don't trust strangers at all, and therefore many people are reluctant to offer help to strangers.
Maybe we're becoming a big city but I notice more and more strangers here won't smile at you either.

Indians often have a rather stony, stern look here, whereas in Sri Lanka (and I believe India) everybody, old and young, male and female, will smile at you. I think many of these South Asians adapt when they move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe we're becoming a big city but I notice more and more strangers here won't smile at you either.

Indians often have a rather stony, stern look here, whereas in Sri Lanka (and I believe India) everybody, old and young, male and female, will smile at you. I think many of these South Asians adapt when they move here.
There are a ton of Americans in Shanghai, and none of them smiled at me. I guess that's a way to integrate,lol.

Big cities are more tolerant, and the chance of meeting people is greater, which is more important than smiles from strangers. I don't know which Asian country is better, but I would choose a large city.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,578,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
The only time I meet friendly Chinese women is at a massage parlor. Other than that, most Chinese women in my opinion come off as cold and standoffish just like their Northern neighbor Russian women.

With the exception of Brazil, all other BRIC countries are not known for having friendly women. Not Russia, not India, and not China.
While it's true Russian women in general aren't outwardly friendly and smiley (especially when they don't know you well), I've come across some very smiley and friendly ones when I travelled - but not within Russia though but outside of it...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM

28 posts, read 49,865 times
Def. Japan and Korea are the least friendly I've been to.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 AM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Friendly: Russia, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, if you speak the language.
Unfriendly: Taiwan (even if you speak the language)

Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Friendly: Russia, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, if you speak the language.
Unfriendly: Taiwan (even if you speak the language)
Please tell me more, Ruth. Myself and many others have found the Taiwanese friendly, at least on the surface.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 AM

5 posts, read 10,483 times
I would say China is very friendly country. They are also very helpful if you ask.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,002,119 times
In my experience, the most friendly places are Taiwan and Laos. Some parts of China are friendly as well: Sichuan and Northeast. Thailand isn't bad either.

Least friendly: Vietnam and parts of China: Shanghai and Guangdong, especially. Beijing is hit and miss. I like Vietnam alot, but people there are all-consumed with making money. No matter where you go. It reminds me a lot like China was in the early-mid 1990s.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,239,709 times
I'm an Asian-American and based on my experiences, I've arrived at the following conclusions.

Friendliest:
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand

Unfriendliest:
South Korea

Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM

23 posts, read 18,628 times
Based on this map, I'd say South Korea:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or