U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:28 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Colyer View Post
South Korea. Nationalistic? Yes, very nationalistic, but not of a xenophobic or offensive kind. They merely love getting together themselves. Racist? In a way. More precisely, they are just into themselves. Korean women wouldn't give a glance at white guys. But it does not mean they hate us. Unfriendly? Yes, but only on the surface. Stay there for a few weeks or months, you will love Koreans. For a few years, you will hate them. For more than five years, you will begin to love them. For more than ten years, you will want to be naturalized.
I've heard the opposite, but yeah probably not as open as Japan in general. Korean men dating foreign women seems a lot less common than Japanese men dating foreign women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Colyer View Post
South Korea. Nationalistic? Yes, very nationalistic, but not of a xenophobic or offensive kind. They merely love getting together themselves. Racist? In a way. More precisely, they are just into themselves. Korean women wouldn't give a glance at white guys. But it does not mean they hate us. Unfriendly? Yes, but only on the surface. Stay there for a few weeks or months, you will love Koreans. For a few years, you will hate them. For more than five years, you will begin to love them. For more than ten years, you will want to be naturalized.
Concur...people need to do their research about each country they visit. You can't just expect it to be like America where you can just walk up to anyone and have your answer right there. There are many Koreans who are shy especially when they don't have a command of the English language. Once you get to know them, they're going to treat you like family.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
The friendly countries are often more dangerous, and a lot of the unfriendly countries are very safe

Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM

347 posts, read 414,527 times
Wow, roaming city-data I clicked on Asia. Much hate here if people here are representative of Asia as a whole.

Seems to me the sense I get is that many find Philippines and Thailand as very friendly.

Countries such as Japan, China, and South Korea are not as friendly.

MANY on here give an OPINION. But I watch the news all over the world and on YOUTUBE.

I found OFFICIAL BRITISH TELEVISION RUN NEWS stories where people of one COUNTRY in ASIA go to another COUNTRY in ASIA to work, and for some reason are mistreated there, especially if their job is, for lack of a better word, UNPROFESSIONAL.

And as a person, of IMMIGRANT NON-WHITE parents, who IS AMERICAN BORN, I AM STAYING THE C R A P (insert your choice of curse word) OUT OF ASIA.

US non-white AMERICAN BORN got it good here.

If I want to see "my people" All I got to do is go to my mall or maybe turn on my cable TV. I hate how people make money off MY COUNTRY of AMERICA, don't have the decency to BE ABOVE the love of money and racism, ESPECIALLY in ASIAN COUNTRIES.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 AM

27 posts, read 56,644 times
Philippines for sure.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 AM

41 posts, read 205,238 times
Filipinos for sure. The ability of Filipinos to speak English is a major factor why the country is friendly and helpful to tourists. Tourists not only see the beauty of the country but also the friendship that they have established with Filipinos.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Define "friendly ". In both China and Taiwan, for example, strangers will go out of their way to be helpful, and otherwise not pay a lot of attention to you, but it is very hard to get them to be "personable" as opposed to just helpful and generous.

I think in every country, people are friendlier in inverse proportion to the size of the city. In the capital, people are less friendly than in the provincial towns or the countryside.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 38,317 times
Hands down... it's the Filipinos. I have met many of them and they are jut the most cheerful and warm Asian people I've came across.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM

38 posts, read 69,930 times
I can't agree that a part of area can be representative for a country. It just like every area has kind man and unfriendly people. For my experience, I think Taiwan is a good place to accept tourist, but in fact I don't know whether it can also be a right place for someone who want to be an insider.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Forbes website surveys

Top 15 World Friendliest Countries (4 is in Asia)
#1 New Zealand - In Photos: The World's Friendliest Countries - Forbes

06. Turkey

08. Philippines

10. Malaysia

14. Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or