Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
I guess, you cant judge friendliness as such. It all based on individuals.

But yeah, overall picture i would say, India tops it. Unfriendly i would say Koreans would make it.
Depends on the individual background though. Don't forget there're also Korean immigrants/2nd+ generations like Korean Americans/Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM

645 posts, read 835,000 times
I can say about the previous posts that government policies do not matter when it comes to the common mass!

Well I still am to see a friendly Korean. My bad luck I guess.
As you said, individual background matters. But I guess this thread is mostly for people living in their own country or immigrants on a visa/work permit. Naturalized citizens do tend to take over the thinking of the country they start living in.

Typing from cell... I hope it made sense! :P

Old 12-22-2014, 10:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,365 times
Loved Japan, hated Hong Kong!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Loved Japan, hated Hong Kong!
if your a Taishanese / Canto / HK Chinese you will love Hong Kong

the early immigrants that came during the California Gold rush and help build the Transcontinental Railroad were mostly the Taishanese southern China people

Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,467 times
Friendliest-Japan And Thailand

Least Friendly-S. Korea China

Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM

176 posts, read 631,885 times
Can't believe China seems to be on the bottom. It's got probably the most helpful and friendly people and you can actually make some friends. Just people are extremely shy here, and always worry their English is bad and they will sound stupid. Much more genuine though.

I love Thailand but if you are a foreigner everyone will try to rip you off. It drives me nuts when I visit there. In China usually it's just smaller clothing shops that will do it, and they do it to Chinese people too.

There are so many western guys looking for sex in China that you have to work a bit to prove you aren't if you want a relationship.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM

177 posts, read 268,902 times
People who name South Korea as least friendly have visited the country, yes?
Cannot believe the hate here. People I know who have visited love it.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:42 AM

335 posts, read 423,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
People who name South Korea as least friendly have visited the country, yes?
Cannot believe the hate here. People I know who have visited love it.
Koreans tend to say aloud what they feel. They aren't two faced like other Asians. As a result, Westerners could interpret the direct comments as being rude. For example, in Korean, it is not rude to say that you are fat. The Korean isn't insulting the fat person, he or she is just making an observation.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:49 AM

335 posts, read 423,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Colyer View Post
South Korea. Nationalistic? Yes, very nationalistic, but not of a xenophobic or offensive kind. They merely love getting together themselves. Racist? In a way. More precisely, they are just into themselves. Korean women wouldn't give a glance at white guys. But it does not mean they hate us. Unfriendly? Yes, but only on the surface. Stay there for a few weeks or months, you will love Koreans. For a few years, you will hate them. For more than five years, you will begin to love them. For more than ten years, you will want to be naturalized.
That's probably why many Western men view South Korea as unfriendly. They go to Korea looking for Korean women, but are disappointed to find that most Korean women prefer Korean men.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Koreans tend to say aloud what they feel. They aren't two faced like other Asians. As a result, Westerners could interpret the direct comments as being rude. For example, in Korean, it is not rude to say that you are fat. The Korean isn't insulting the fat person, he or she is just making an observation.
they do the same thing in Hong Kong, it's common to call a friend a "fat boy" seems every group has a guy nicknamed fatty or fat boy of little piggy or shrimp boy if he's small
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia