U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,430,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
How would you racially classify Indonesians who share a border with Papua New Guinea ?
Papuans are or like Melanesians, who are totally different from Austronesians.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Not in pigmentation they are not.
Many Pacific Islanders like Tongans, Samoans and Maori can be quite pale. A lot of S. Chinese are also quite tanned. The urban females who use whitening products don't really represent the natural tone. Check out pics of farmers in rural China.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,855,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually many Filipinos have so called more 'oriental' features, and the 'Mongoloid' race includes all Southeast Asians except negritos and sometimes even Pacific Islanders.
But Filipinos do not look like Chinese, Koreans or Japanese. These 3 are very similar in looks that you wouldn't really be able to distinguish which one is Chinese, Japanese or Korean.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
But Filipinos do not look like Chinese, Koreans or Japanese. These 3 are very similar in looks that you wouldn't really be able to distinguish which one is Chinese, Japanese or Korean.
Many of them do but they might be mixed. Some Southern Chinese do look Austronesian though. I can often tell Japanese/Chinese/Korean apart.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,855,955 times
Quote:
Many of them do but they might be mixed. Some Southern Chinese do look Austronesian though. I can often tell Japanese/Chinese/Korean apart.
You can ? Are you Chinese ? Because for us Filipinos we cannot tell apart. They all look the same to us.

Ones you saw are probably of Chinese ancestry. They do not represent the whole Philippines. Philippines is not a Chinese country. We have some Chinese because they emigrated to the Philippines but they are just like another ethnic group.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-16-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,329,096 times
Quote:
The only Southeast Asian country where the majority of the people look like Yellow skin Chinamen is Thailand and maybe Vietnam.

But Filipinos, Indonesians, Cambodians, etc just look like like skinnier smaller versions of Pacific Islanders.
Lmao ....thailand???? cut the crap

thailand does have a big chinese population....but the majority look no different then cambodians

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
You can ? Are you Chinese ? Because for us Filipinos we cannot tell apart. They all look the same to us.

Ones you saw are probably of Chinese ancestry. They do not represent the whole Philippines. Philippines is not a Chinese country. We have some Chinese because they emigrated to the Philippines but they are just like another ethnic group.
Yes, well my ancestors were mostly from China. By nationality I'm Australia, Singaporean by birth. I'm obviously very familiar with how Chinese people, especially S. Chinese, look, both here and throughout Asia. While I haven't been to South Korea or Japan, I've met many Japanese and Koreans here and see them all over the place. I can sometimes tell before they start talking (Japanese are easier to spot), sometimes not. Sometimes I find it easier to tell S. Chinese like Cantonese from N. Chinese than N.Chinese from Koreans. We get a lot of Vietnamese, Indonesians, Malaysians, some Filipinos, and sometimes can't tell Vietnamese from S. Chinese (about as accurately as Chinese/Japanese), and even Austronesian Indonesian/Malaysian from Chinese, especially if the Chinese are quite tanned. I think many of the Indonesians here are at least part Chinese though. I don't see enough Filipinos to really get a good idea of their general look.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Lmao ....thailand???? cut the crap

thailand does have a big chinese population....but the majority look no different then cambodians
Not true...the 'Thai' ethnic group is actually quite diverse...original Dai don't really look like Khmer, most Khmer are noticeably darker. Isan/lowland Lao look somewhat Khmer, while in southern Thailand you have more Malay looks. Northern Thai are lighter.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Your average Filipino person is dark skin compared to Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans.

I live in San Francisco which has a huge Chinese population. I NEVER see Chinese people here with skin as Brown as these Filipina women for example.

The only types of Asians here in California who are that dark are either Filipinos, Indians, or Cambodians.

If most Filipinos were light skin, The Philippines would be considered part of the Yellow Chino race, but it not. The darkness of Filipinos, would explain why many people consider Filipinos to be racially closer to Pacific Islanders than to Japanese and Chinese people.
Go f urself...the 2nd woman is half black half khmer
Mixed People from my hometown(Los Angeles))

and there r plenty of 100% filipinos who could pass for chinese
take your ignorance and get lost

Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, well my ancestors were mostly from China. By nationality I'm Australia, Singaporean by birth. I'm obviously very familiar with how Chinese people, especially S. Chinese, look, both here and throughout Asia. While I haven't been to South Korea or Japan, I've met many Japanese and Koreans here and see them all over the place. I can sometimes tell before they start talking (Japanese are easier to spot), sometimes not. Sometimes I find it easier to tell S. Chinese like Cantonese from N. Chinese than N.Chinese from Koreans. We get a lot of Vietnamese, Indonesians, Malaysians, some Filipinos, and sometimes can't tell Vietnamese from S. Chinese (about as accurately as Chinese/Japanese), and even Austronesian Indonesian/Malaysian from Chinese, especially if the Chinese are quite tanned. I think many of the Indonesians here are at least part Chinese though. I don't see enough Filipinos to really get a good idea of their general look.
First of all people make the mistake of thinking filipinos are a homogeneous group...we are not
we are basically hundreds of ethnicities who were forced to become one country by the spanish

how would you see this rural filipina from antique, western visayas???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or