Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to RIYADH in Saudi Arabia?

First off, it seems like Saudi Arabia is SO restrictive with tourist visas, for one. But, even if someone was to get over that hurdle, how much is one free to just wander around and take photos of stuff. Do tourist things? Or is that a bit restrictive as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 PM

That reads like a 'no'.

Makes sense...not an easy city to visit. So, I wouldn't expect many to have gone through the process..

Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,655 times
On my list of the countries/cities I will never visit, ever.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Saudi Arabia only gives "tourist visas" to Muslims who are going there for Hajj.

The only other way for a non-Muslim to enter Saudi Arabia is with a work visa.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Saudi Arabia only gives "tourist visas" to Muslims who are going there for Hajj.

That's basically what I've heard as well. You are basically confirming it.

Two possible exceptions...

There are some flights that go through Riyadh on to other areas. This is usually a connection coming from Asia going to Africa. However, I am unsure if a person can get a 'transit visa' and get out of the airport as well. Interesting.

I'm also curious about conferences. I wonder if someone goes to a conference there, if they issue visas for that.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

They should apply the same rules to Saudi's traveling abroad.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyone been to RIYADH in Saudi Arabia?

First off, it seems like Saudi Arabia is SO restrictive with tourist visas, for one. But, even if someone was to get over that hurdle, how much is one free to just wander around and take photos of stuff. Do tourist things? Or is that a bit restrictive as well?
It's probably impossible to get a tourist visa if you're a non-moslem. Even if you have an Iquama (a residence permit) you have to have a permit to travel outside of the city your permit is assigned to. I had my camera seized taking pictures of the old section of town with the wonderful old balconies with carved wooden window lattices and the police told me I should take pictures of the new buildings instead. If I could travel freely there, I would go to Taif or Khamis Mashad where there are some interesting things to see, especially the Asur National Park. Riyadh offers very little for a tourist other than the Souk (bazaar). I lived in Saudi for over ten years, with two of those in Riyadh.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
On my list of the countries/cities I will never visit, ever.
It's actually an interesting place and culture. My wife and I enjoyed our years there. The Saudis are pretty decent, honest people from my experience. They are friendly and hospitable, though you may find some younger ones with thinly disguised anti-western chips on their shoulder, but even those are courteous which is their custom. The Bedouins are especially hospitable.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Two possible exceptions...

There are some flights that go through Riyadh on to other areas. This is usually a connection coming from Asia going to Africa. However, I am unsure if a person can get a 'transit visa' and get out of the airport as well. Interesting.
Yes, possible, or once was. My wife got in that way the first time. She had a transit visa with an onward ticket to Jordan (had to show the ticket). Of course she was in the country illegaly until we got her Iquama, and a Saudi prison is not a place you want to be. We were lucky.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's probably impossible to get a tourist visa if you're a non-moslem. Even if you have an Iquama (a residence permit) you have to have a permit to travel outside of the city your permit is assigned to. I had my camera seized taking pictures of the old section of town with the wonderful old balconies with carved wooden window lattices and the police told me I should take pictures of the new buildings instead. If I could travel freely there, I would go to Taif or Khamis Mashad where there are some interesting things to see, especially the Asur National Park. Riyadh offers very little for a tourist other than the Souk (bazaar). I lived in Saudi for over ten years, with two of those in Riyadh.
That's basically what I was hoping to do....take photos of anything interesting...and the old section of town, would probably be exactly what would interest me.

But to seize the camera...and recommend sterile new stuff....interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia