U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,312,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Nope, it may look Hindu with the kala heads but its always a Buddhist stupa, they would put Hindu gods instead of Buddha if it was Hindu anyway, i mean literary it have hundreds of stupas at the top of the pyramid. Hinduism and Buddhism have many things in common more than you can think of actually..

It may however described that Java was Hindu dominated rather than Buddhist at the time, reason why Borobudur is built is still a big mystery.
Interesting, the style is just a lot more Hindu, maybe it was just done in that style.

Interesting wiki says it's Mahayana not Theravada. Was Mahayana practised in Java?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,153,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, the style is just a lot more Hindu, maybe it was just done in that style.

Interesting wiki says it's Mahayana not Theravada. Was Mahayana practised in Java?
I think most of the preIslamic Buddhist are Mahayanas rather than Theravada, but today its the other way around. Most Buddhist today are Chinese anyway not the real native Indos.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I think most of the preIslamic Buddhist are Mahayanas rather than Theravada, but today its the other way around. Most Buddhist today are Chinese anyway not the real native Indos.
Interesting. Yes Mahayana is more in East Asia, while Thervada is in SEA except Vietnam and Sri Lanka. Tibet is sort of it's own thing, but closer to (and sometimes also including) the Mahayana tradition. Zen I think is also sort of it's own thing, although it has links to the Mahayana.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Yes Mahayana is more in East Asia, while Thervada is in SEA except Vietnam and Sri Lanka. Tibet is sort of it's own thing, but closer to (and sometimes also including) the Mahayana tradition. Zen I think is also sort of it's own thing, although it has links to the Mahayana.
What is the Buddhist affliation in Malaysia? i never bothered to ask when i was living there and it seem the Chinese are more non-religious rather than Buddhist, some told me that they only pray for more fortunes.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
What is the Buddhist affliation in Malaysia? i never bothered to ask when i was living there and it seem the Chinese are more non-religious rather than Buddhist, some told me that they only pray for more fortunes.
Well going by stats 42% of the Chinese in Malaysia identify as Buddhists, although as in China it's often mixed with Taoism and folk beliefs. Yes, a lot don't seem that religious, although most who do follow the Mahayana school. Thervada Buddhism does have a presence, I remember once going to a church next to a Burmese temple.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Well going by stats 42% of the Chinese in Malaysia identify as Buddhists, although as in China it's often mixed with Taoism and folk beliefs. Yes, a lot don't seem that religious, although most who do follow the Mahayana school. Thervada Buddhism does have a presence, I remember once going to a church next to a Burmese temple.
Ohh i do remember seeing Burmese and Thai temple when i was in Penang, both are as nice! Kek Loh Si temple is Mahayana temple with obvious Chinese influence, most other temple i went is either Taoist or Confucius. When i was in KL i thought with large Chinese population i would've expected more Buddhist temple around but it seem that there aren't that many.

There is an interesting fenomena amongst the Chinese in Eastern Malaysia, they seem to be following Indonesian Chinese's path by becoming Christians, most i've met who are from Kuching or KK are Christians surprisingly. Singaporeans Chinese is also an interesting case, it appears they have growing number of Christianity amongst the Chinese, for Singapore's case its a bit interesting seeing a developed country going towards theology rather than secularism, of course the non-religious community also grow at the same time.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Ohh i do remember seeing Burmese and Thai temple when i was in Penang, both are as nice! Kek Loh Si temple is Mahayana temple with obvious Chinese influence, most other temple i went is either Taoist or Confucius. When i was in KL i thought with large Chinese population i would've expected more Buddhist temple around but it seem that there aren't that many.

There is an interesting fenomena amongst the Chinese in Eastern Malaysia, they seem to be following Indonesian Chinese's path by becoming Christians, most i've met who are from Kuching or KK are Christians surprisingly. Singaporeans Chinese is also an interesting case, it appears they have growing number of Christianity amongst the Chinese, for Singapore's case its a bit interesting seeing a developed country going towards theology rather than secularism.
Their style is very different to the Mahayana styles. The pagodas too. Actually stupa-like domes seem more common there vs the pagodas you'll see in East Asia and Vietnam, and Malaysia.

Christianity is bigger/more prevalent in East Malaysia in general. I would say it's mainly because of the native Borneans, who are considered 'Bumiputra', who are mostly Christians. I'm not sure if Chinese in East Malaysia are more likely to be Christians than those on the peninsula.

It does seem Christianity is growing in Singapore among Chinese and Indians, and the latest figure is 18%. There are some evangelical style churches, and Pentacostalism had a big influence there. I believe that is the case in Indonesia and the Philippines too, right?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Their style is very different to the Mahayana styles. The pagodas too. Actually stupa-like domes seem more common there vs the pagodas you'll see in East Asia and Vietnam, and Malaysia.

Christianity is bigger/more prevalent in East Malaysia in general. I would say it's mainly because of the native Borneans, who are considered 'Bumiputra', who are mostly Christians. I'm not sure if Chinese in East Malaysia are more likely to be Christians than those on the peninsula.

It does seem Christianity is growing in Singapore among Chinese and Indians, and the latest figure is 18%. There are some evangelical style churches, and Pentacostalism had a big influence there. I believe that is the case in Indonesia and the Philippines too, right?
Yeah however we are developing nation as compared to developed Singapore, could it be that trends in the neighbors influenced Singapore as well?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah however we are developing nation as compared to developed Singapore, could it be that trends in the neighbors influenced Singapore as well?
Well yes, Christianity in Singapore has several influences. First was the British with their stern Anglicanism, Methodism, Presbyterians etc. This seemed to penetrate only the more westernised locals, as well as the Eurasian community. There was also Catholicism.etc. In later years, American-style evangelicalism has made in roads through Asia, most notably South Korea, the Philippines, and then Indonesia and Singapore. It's still a minority religion in Singapore, however.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Well yes, Christianity in Singapore has several influences. First was the British with their stern Anglicanism, Methodism, Presbyterians etc. This seemed to penetrate only the more westernised locals, as well as the Eurasian community. There was also Catholicism.etc. In later years, American-style evangelicalism has made in roads through Asia, most notably South Korea, the Philippines, and then Indonesia and Singapore. It's still a minority religion in Singapore, however.
hmm what The Postman written is pretty accurate for someone who dont live in Singapore. He really knows Singapore well despite not living here...

Hmm so does the British gradual switch to American accent apply too ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia