Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
hmm what The Postman written is pretty accurate for someone who dont live in Singapore. He really knows Singapore well despite not living here...

Hmm so does the British gradual switch to American accent apply too ?
Hmmm...the Singapore accent is an interesting beast. I'd say it took from a base of English from the UK, and strongly influenced by other languages and local features. I hear for a long time 'bazaar Malay', a Hokkien-Malay hybrid, was the lingua franca of trade in Singapore. Thus Singaporean English and Singlish is a milieu of some English pronunciation, with various Chinese dialectal influence, Malay, some Tamil and a bit of other Indian maybe. It's pretty unique. I think due to American influence from TV it could be getting a bit more that way. Do you think that's the case?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm...the Singapore accent is an interesting beast. I'd say it took from a base of English from the UK, and strongly influenced by other languages and local features. I hear for a long time 'bazaar Malay', a Hokkien-Malay hybrid, was the lingua franca of trade in Singapore. Thus Singaporean English and Singlish is a milieu of some English pronunciation, with various Chinese dialectal influence, Malay, some Tamil and a bit of other Indian maybe. It's pretty unique. I think due to American influence from TV it could be getting a bit more that way. Do you think that's the case?
Well, in my personal opinion you are pretty much right here about Singaporean accent too.. In Singapore, seems like music, movies, stuff and etc from US is more popular than UK ..

I am afraid that the UK forum members may disagree, but i guess the reason is American seems to go out more and interact with the world outside US more.. Whereas the British seems more closed to themselves and minding their own business in their own territory

But well, our education is still closer to the British system than to the American system.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well, in my personal opinion you are pretty much right here about Singaporean accent too.. In Singapore, seems like music, movies, stuff and etc from US is more popular than UK ..

I am afraid that the UK forum members may disagree, but i guess the reason is American seems to go out more and interact with the world outside US more.. Whereas the British seems more closed to themselves and minding their own business in their own territory

But well, our education is still closer to the British system than to the American system.
It seems Singapore still has a stronger link to the UK, although you also see a lot of Singaporeans moving to the US so maybe things are changing. You can also find all the American chains, well a lot of them, in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia