U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,713,431 times

Advertisements

Dogs slaughtered for meat in Vietnam - CNN.com Video

Smugglers drive Thailand's grim trade in dog meat - CNN.com

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
...would love to try the spoon worms aka sea cucumber one day!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:03 PM

528 posts, read 1,088,246 times
Having relatives in China, our trips were not to touristy areas where Western food is common. Some of my relatives are well-off so they were proud to take us to nice restaurants.
I am not one of those who enjoys trying new and exotic foods so all meals were difficult for me. It was typical for my wife to say "you have to try it. They ordered it just for you! "
Sea worms, sea slugs, snake, turtle, and who knows what else. Their spices and flavorings were not anything that I was, or am, used to so common foods like chicken were often embarrassingly inedible to me.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:05 PM

528 posts, read 1,088,246 times
Oh, I should mention that a nephew of mine from Southern China is now studying in Denmark and he emailed me that now he understands how I felt when I was in China. The foods in Denmark are so different from what he was used to.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Having relatives in China, our trips were not to touristy areas where Western food is common. Some of my relatives are well-off so they were proud to take us to nice restaurants.
I am not one of those who enjoys trying new and exotic foods so all meals were difficult for me. It was typical for my wife to say "you have to try it. They ordered it just for you! "
Sea worms, sea slugs, snake, turtle, and who knows what else. Their spices and flavorings were not anything that I was, or am, used to so common foods like chicken were often embarrassingly inedible to me.
I don't advocate eating endangered species or cruelly slaughtered animals, but in terms of taste turtle isn't really that weird.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 AM

9 posts, read 9,966 times
Well, aside from balut, I also tried eating "Salagubang" here in the Philippines. Salagubang looks like a black bug. It tastes really weird.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
...would love to try the spoon worms aka sea cucumber one day!
The creatures in the first video are spoon worms while that of the 2nd video are indeed sea cucumbers. I have tried sea cucumbers a number of times. Taste is not that weird, tastes like beef or pork tendon. They're so expensive though, so I am always wondering why anyone would pay that much to eat something like this.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The creatures in the first video are spoon worms while that of the 2nd video are indeed sea cucumbers. I have tried sea cucumbers a number of times. Taste is not that weird, tastes like beef or pork tendon. They're so expensive though, so I am always wondering why anyone would pay that much to eat something like this.
As usual its seen as traditional medicine with healings properties. Some of it is superstition, e.g. say rhino horn for virility, but some might be based on some tested truths.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 AM

321 posts, read 522,635 times
Despite being Asian and being raised in an Asian household, and eating Asian food most days for dinner - I've never actually tried anything wacky and out of the norm.

I freaked when my mother tried to feed me pigeon once, and I almost fainted when my cousin started eating balut in front of me.

I'm just a reallyyyyy picky eater and I just prefer to eat foods where I can easily tell what it is, and is available at restaurants and stuff. The wackiest Asian food I've probably tried is shark fin soup which isn't all that weird in China, and I actually love shark fin soup, to my surprise.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Despite being Asian and being raised in an Asian household, and eating Asian food most days for dinner - I've never actually tried anything wacky and out of the norm.

I freaked when my mother tried to feed me pigeon once, and I almost fainted when my cousin started eating balut in front of me.

I'm just a reallyyyyy picky eater and I just prefer to eat foods where I can easily tell what it is, and is available at restaurants and stuff. The wackiest Asian food I've probably tried is shark fin soup which isn't all that weird in China, and I actually love shark fin soup, to my surprise.
I was a picky eater too and didn't like most Chinese food as a kid because it tasted weird to me. Much preferred McDonalds. Thankfully I'm a lot more broad minded these days. I know it doesn't taste strong but I wouldn't eat sharks fin soup. A similar dish I find really weird is birds nest soup, which is basically hardened saliva. Apparently it doesn't taste like much, but I wouldn't want to eat spit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or