Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

In terms of how interested you are in the comparison, how heated they seem, how comparable they seem, how much you personally are invested in comparing the two:

I would say the strongest ones are probably WITHIN countries, often the two biggest cities. In many cases it's the capital vs the biggest city when the capital is not the biggest city. Typically the biggest city became that way by being the main commercial centre.

Beijing vs Shanghai

Delhi vs Mumbai

Hanoi vs Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

Would be the examples of this city rivalry.

Also:

Hong Kong vs Shanghai

There are also rivalries within countries where one city is much more prominent but where the other city, perhaps due to an inferiority complex, still likes to compare themselves to the alpha anyway:

Tokyo vs Osaka being the best example of this, or Taipei vs Kaohsiung

Between countries, there are many rivalries too. These are often between cities of comparable size/important, although in some cases this might extend to food/shopping/tourism like Singapore vs Kuala Lumpur:

Hong Kong vs Taipei

Singapore vs Kuala Lumpur

Singapore vs Hong Kong

Tokyo vs Seoul

Tokyo vs Shanghai

Shanghai vs Seoul

Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok

Singapore vs Bangkok

Dubai vs Mumbai

Dubai vs Hong Kong

Istanbul vs Tehran

Then there are smaller cities. One that is a potential comparison/rivalry is:

Kyoto vs Suzhou

I guess for me Singapore vs Kuala Lumpur since I'm most familiar with the two. They're pretty different to compare, each with their own strengths, but I'm biased. I find Hong Kong vs Shanghai an intriguing comparison as well. Delhi vs Mumbai looks like quite a even comparison when you throw in tourism and government for Delhi vs Bollywood and IT wealth in Mumbai.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Abu Dhabi vs. Doha vs. Kuwait City
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia