Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
Most other Austronesians don't know much about Taiwanese aborigines. Taiwanese aboriginese are one of forgotten people in the world.
It's a shame. Yeah they seem pretty ignored. I knew little about them until I visited Taiwan. They have added quite a bit to Taiwanese identity, for instance things like bamboo sticky rice. In fact an estimated 80% of the original wave of Hoklo settlers have some aboriginal ancestry.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,587 times
Most have Han Chinese last names and names, speak Mandarin as a first language, eat Han Chinese food, about half of the population look very similar to Southern Han Chinese. So it is not easy to tell unless you goto some specific indigenious areas.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkabk View Post
Most have Han Chinese last names and names, speak Mandarin as a first language, eat Han Chinese food, about half of the population look very similar to Southern Han Chinese. So it is not easy to tell unless you goto some specific indigenious areas.
Yeah most are mixed. There are some who look pure or mostly pure, especially in places like Hualien, Wulai, Taitung, Chianyi county, Nantou, Sun Moon Lake.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 PM

249 posts, read 328,297 times
I don't think Taiwanese aborigines has being forgotten. According to linguists, out of Taiwan theory states that these Taiwanese aborigines were THE original Polynesians. Sometime very long ago they sailed out the ocean eastward and conquered islands after islands all the way to Hawaii and Easter islands. Pretty remarkable group of people

Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,058,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
Maybe they're Taiwanese aborigines mixed with Han Chinese.
Those pictures looked less "Asian" than what I normally see in mixed people. Some Taiwanese actors are mixed, and you can definitely tell that they aren't full on Han, though.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
To be quite honest those pictures look like some random tourists with aboriginal outfits to me.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,537,379 times
Linguists have traced very many languages to Taiwan. The Polynesian family is one group.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,789 times
all from the maritim Southeast Asian Populations, Including Pacific closely related to Taiwanese aborigines, most them are the Filipinos,Mentawai , East Indonesians and the Pacific Islands or Ocenia (Polynesian + Micronesian) are descendants of Taiwan Aborigines,and some have been mixed with other genes.
While the population of Western Indonesia such as Javanese,Sundanese ,Sumatra , Borneo ( Bidayuh & Dayak), Malays is still controversial may be out of the category of Austronesian. I think population " West Indonesian " are a mix of AustroAsiatic ( mainland asian ) + Austronesian (mainland asia ), the mixture may have occurred in Mainland Asia before they go to the fill West Indonesia region.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Those pictures looked less "Asian" than what I normally see in mixed people. Some Taiwanese actors are mixed, and you can definitely tell that they aren't full on Han, though.
Well many Southern Chinese have some Austronesian ancestry anyway, but I think the type in Taiwan is sort of distinct. Their noses are more hooked than other Austronesians in general.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,789 times
all from the maritim Southeast Asian Populations, Including Pacific closely related to Taiwanese aborigines, most them are the Filipinos,Mentawai , East Indonesians and the Pacific Islands or Ocenia (Polynesian + Micronesian) are descendants of Taiwan Aborigines,and some have been mixed with other genes.
While the population of Western Indonesia such as Javanese,Sundanese ,Sumatra , Borneo ( Bidayuh & Dayak), Malays is still controversial may be out of the category of Austronesian. I think population " West Indonesian " are a mix of AustroAsiatic ( mainland asian ) + Austronesian (mainland asia ), the mixture may have occurred in Mainland Asia before they go to the fill West Indonesia region. ← I think this is the most correct .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia