U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

Quanzhou Hokkien

Quanzhou Hokkien - YouTube

Vietnamese

11-7-2012 SBTN VIETNAMESE NEWS AT NOON Tin Tuc Buoi Trua - YouTube

To me both have similar sounds, even if they might actually be very different to speakers. To someone who doesn't understand either it just sounds like Hokkien SOUNDS a lot more like Vietnamese than Mandarin. What do you think?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
It doesn't sound like Vietnamese to me...then again, i would probably be the wrong person to ask since i speak Vietnamese....i think someone who has no knowledge of either language could answer that objectively...personally, i think Khmer sounds more like Vietnamese at a distance despite it not being tonal.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
It doesn't sound like Vietnamese to me...then again, i would probably be the wrong person to ask since i speak Vietnamese....i think someone who has no knowledge of either language could answer that objectively...personally, i think khmer sounds more like Vietnamese at a distance despite it not being tonal.
Funny you mention Khmer, I always thought Khmer sounded way more like Thai than Vietnamese despite being in the same family as Vietnamese. I also can't tell it's tonal.

The main similarity is what I can best describe as a 'gulping sound' prevalent in Vietnamese and a bit in Hokkien, where the person sounds a bit like goofy talking. Mainly the two young girls speaking, especially the one in white, not so much the guy at the start but a bit more the middle aged lady.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Funny you mention Khmer, I always thought Khmer sounded way more like Thai than Vietnamese despite being in the same family as Vietnamese. I also can't tell it's tonal.

The main similarity is what I can best describe as a 'gulping sound' prevalent in Vietnamese and a bit in Hokkien, where the person sounds a bit like goofy talking. Mainly the two young girls speaking, especially the one in white, not so much the guy at the start but a bit more the middle aged lady.
Ok. I watched the part(Hokkien) with the two girls(from 59 sec mark to 105 sec mark) and not the tv hosts and parts of it does sound similar after slowing it down and paying close attention. However, only because you really pointed out, but honestly, when i listen to it without scrutiny, i didn't see anything similar. I didn't see any similarity with the middle aged lady.

Do you think this gal sounds Hokkien?

Last edited by JL; 05-20-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 AM

Not really, she sounds a bit different, like Vietnamese might not even be her main language.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,712,829 times
I have some experience with Vietnamese. I can tell it's not Vietnamese, because some of the pronunciation of some of the things. But if I didn't have any experience, it would probably kind of sound the same to me.

Em cung hoc Viet. Em yeu Viet Nam va nguoi Viet. Viet Nam dep. Em nho Viet Nam nhieu lam.
Chao JL. Xin loi, anh ten la gi? Khoe khong anh ?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM
JL

Quote:
Not really, she sounds a bit different, like Vietnamese might not even be her main language.
Ok, that might be a bad example that i posted...i don't know her detailed profile, but she could've lived in Australia for quite some time now. How about this host? To my knowledge, she hasn't been abroad that long...her accent is more to form though still not there...i am trying to put myself in your shoes, but i still don't see any real similarity.

Loi Yeu Thuong - Kieu Tram - Ngay Quoc Te Phu Nu - part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I have some experience with Vietnamese. I can tell it's not Vietnamese, because some of the pronunciation of some of the things. But if I didn't have any experience, it would probably kind of sound the same to me.

Em cung hoc Viet. Em yeu Viet Nam va nguoi Viet. Viet Nam dep. Em nho Viet Nam nhieu lam.
Chao JL. Xin loi, anh ten la gi? Khoe khong anh ?
Hi Gluc,
I'm doing fine now though i've had some health issues recently. You can just call me JL ()...I think you should just move to Vietnam since you really love the country and people...maybe find a multinational company that you can work for in Vietnam. I don't miss it like you do to be honest...vacation is fine, but i wouldn't want to live there anymore.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Ok, that might be a bad example that i posted...i don't know her detailed profile, but she could've lived in Australia for quite some time now. How about this host? To my knowledge, she hasn't been abroad that long...her accent is more to form though still not there...i am trying to put myself in your shoes, but i still don't see any real similarity.

Loi Yeu Thuong - Kieu Tram - Ngay Quoc Te Phu Nu - part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Vietnamese is very distinctive because of that 'goofy voice' (no offense, I'm just trying to describe it). I'm sure you know what I mean. I haven't heard it in any other languages except hints of it in Hokkien and Khmer. I know they're not really that similar, and you as a speaker can't always divorce the sound from the meaning, but would you agree that someone unfamiliar with Asian languages might think Hokkien is a SEA language rather than a Chinese language?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
JL

Quote:
Vietnamese is very distinctive because of that 'goofy voice' (no offense, I'm just trying to describe it). I'm sure you know what I mean. I haven't heard it in any other languages except hints of it in Hokkien and Khmer. I know they're not really that similar, and you as a speaker can't always divorce the sound from the meaning, but would you agree that someone unfamiliar with Asian languages might think Hokkien is a SEA language rather than a Chinese language?
No worries..i'm not offended...i just can't make a distinction though maybe a few words here or there might have that goofy voice, but the goofy voice doesn't ring through my ears...what sounds strange though is when a non-native speaker who is not proficient, but somewhat conversational ,tries to speak Vietnamese, then it sounds very odd or goofy. Otherwise, it is hard for me to hear it in that manner...

Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
No worries..i'm not offended...i just can't make a distinction though maybe a few words here or there might have that goofy voice, but the goofy voice doesn't ring through my ears...what sounds strange though is when a non-native speaker who is not proficient, but somewhat conversational ,tries to speak Vietnamese, then it sounds very odd or goofy. Otherwise, it is hard for me to hear it in that manner...
It kinda sounds like they're constantly yawning, the voices goes low, sounds like how Goofy the Disney character speaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia