U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM
 
188 posts, read 450,584 times
Reputation: 146

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
so you're saying that the guy who looks like he spends at least two hours a day in the gym and is the party of the town trumps any guy who may look nerdy but has a thriving career because of his education and smarts?
On my masters degree course, there is a gentleman who spends at least two hours a day in the gym who is on the course and the Chinese girls (which constitutes 87% of the class) love this guy, he is white as well.

Would they like him if he was living in a box? Who knows.

But how he looks and the way he presents himself is a factor on why those Chinese girls really like
him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,849,898 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
On my masters degree course, there is a gentleman who spends at least two hours a day in the gym who is on the course and the Chinese girls (which constitutes 87% of the class) love this guy, he is white as well.

Would they like him if he was living in a box? Who knows.

But how he looks and the way he presents himself is a factor on why those Chinese girls really like
him.

of course, who doesnt like any good looking person? the question now is would he be as popular with the chinese girls if he were NOT on the masters degree course? say if he only graduated highschool and did a minimum wage job, would those girls have paid him that much attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 AM
 
188 posts, read 450,584 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
of course, who doesnt like any good looking person? the question now is would he be as popular with the chinese girls if he were NOT on the masters degree course? say if he only graduated highschool and did a minimum wage job, would those girls have paid him that much attention?
Who knows? The fact he is on the masters course with them means he isn't a duck egg but when you
talk to them on why they like him, none of his intellectual capabilities are ever mentioned, he is a nice
person and though friendly is a bit aloof from them - he is a long way from being a nerd though and they
all love him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,849,898 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
People are not fundamentally different, everyone appreciates physical attractiveness.

Asian girls who only show interest in top students probably believe only top students can make big money to support family. Not because they find students with higher GPA attractive.

of course, who doesnt like good looking persons? however, the OP is talking about ASIAN girls who may differ from western girls in values and culture. that's what i pointed out earlier when i said that asian girls would look at educationally successful/motivated guys as the ones with good probability of being financially stable. asians have very strong patriarchal culture, so if the parents of a girl, particularly the father, disapprove of a suitor or if the girl thinks her father might disapprove of him because the guys is not a high achiever in school, chances are the girl would drop the guy even if she likes his looks.

of course, no one looks at a guy's transcript, but if it's seen that the guy is in a prestigious school or is already holding a white-collar job or has a successful business because of his good education, then chances are the parents of the girl would approve of him and she would most probably date him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,849,898 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
Who knows? The fact he is on the masters course with them means he isn't a duck egg but when you
talk to them on why they like him, none of his intellectual capabilities are ever mentioned, he is a nice
person and though friendly is a bit aloof from them - he is a long way from being a nerd though and they
all love him.

are you in the US or elsewhere? and is that guy the only white guy in the class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM
 
188 posts, read 450,584 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
are you in the US or elsewhere? and is that guy the only white guy in the class?
I am in the UK, there are a few white guys in the class. However, the majority of the students are Chinese
females with 2 white females and 6 Arab students: 3 males and 3 females.

If he was a high school drop out working at Aldi, he might not interest them that much but then he
would have a lot of trouble getting a quality British woman - same rules apply.

My point is that if it was down to academic ability alone, he wouldn't be getting anything from these
girls but the fact that he is muscular and good looking gets him the prize - if he was interested in them
that is! And these girls really like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,849,898 times
Reputation: 944
besides, when talking about education and job prospects in asia, most of the time, you can't get a decent job (outside of call-centers) if you dont have a bachelor's degree. of course, in the western countries, particularly US, a guy can still find a decent job to support himself and his family but in asia, or at least in the philippines, employers look at your resume particularly on whether you have a bachelor's degree. the financially stable white collar job employers almost always require bachelor's degree, even if it's not in direct alignment with the job at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,332,779 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
besides, when talking about education and job prospects in asia, most of the time, you can't get a decent job (outside of call-centers) if you dont have a bachelor's degree. of course, in the western countries, particularly US, a guy can still find a decent job to support himself and his family but in asia, or at least in the philippines, employers look at your resume particularly on whether you have a bachelor's degree. the financially stable white collar job employers almost always require bachelor's degree, even if it's not in direct alignment with the job at hand.
Something i have noticed...most asian girls wether you be chinese or filipina look for financial stability when looking for a long term relationship...as long as you have money and a good personality you wont have trouble in asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM
 
6,731 posts, read 6,628,665 times
Reputation: 2386
In the US, one does not HAVE TO be book smart to become middle class.
In Asia, however, those who fail in school can hardly make decent money. The only way is to start their own business, which is difficult too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM
JL
 
7,355 posts, read 11,907,114 times
Reputation: 7198
^ Bettafish is correct. If someone doesn't believe it, they have either not lived in Asia long enough or just too naive in believing/understanding it. There is a reason why "America is the land of opportunity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top