U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 AM

6 posts, read 65,231 times

Advertisements

I think smart girls like successful men more than just a good looking average joe! So being in college, the smart girls tend to fall more for those with a more promising future who are ambitious and hard working and compete for higher grades :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 AM

958 posts, read 1,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngucangay View Post
Asian girl here. I think this has something to do with the education and administrative systems.

In my country which is quite similar to China, the degree that you hold is really important when you look for job. To earn that degree you have to be good at school and pass many exams. You should know that even you are good at something but if you don't have degree for that, you don't have high chance of being hired.

In the past, our culture and our education system appreciated people who are academically intelligent more than others such as body talent, art talent, sport talent(or intelligent)... It has been a long time since these countries have been under bureaucracy system where it creates a habit for people to try as hard as they can doing good at school, passing tests and become government office.

Chinese specially has strong Confucianism in their history which made men are more successful and in the higher class if they are smart, intelligent like a good student nowadays. Men who have strong body, good at sport are mostly servants and soldiers.

I think those are reasons why young student girls like smart boys more than they like strong body boys. But I bet you it will change when they are older.
My question to the bolded sentences:

Isn't that the case for ANY country? I mean, I think ANY employer would want to hire someone with the particular corresponding degree of a certain field.
Is this really the case for other countries?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 AM

In a nutshell, facial beauty/attractiveness is more highly valued in Asia, whereas body type/physique is more important in the West.

And I think the term "smart" shouldn't be just confined to academic achievements. It should also include being clever, more like street-smart.

An example: An ordinary looking guy approaches a random attractive looking gal at a party or whatever, converses with her full of "creative" jokes (scoring on sense of humor which most girls dig!) and even in some foreign language phrases.

Anybody here seen "Limitless?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitless

Last edited by OZpharmer; 05-28-2013 at 02:56 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM

12,472 posts, read 11,975,150 times
I dunno. From what I've read, there's a strong cultural bias in most Asian countries (Japan less so) against people who decide to study "useless" (read, non-lucrative) things in school, like marine biology, cultural anthropology, political theory, etc.

So I don't think it's so much about good grades, as it is about looking at grades as a sign of future earnings potential. Nerdy guys with esoteric interests and no desire to make something of themselves outside of "the academy" are probably not considered good catches.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

846 posts, read 947,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Most people look for reasonably educated reliable guys. I'm not saying a good looking idiot is better.

OP's point is "the most popular boys were usually good students (high GPA) ".

But I disagree. Girls, when you date a guy in college, do you look at his transcript? Will you choose a good looking guy with a GPA of 2.8 and good personality, or an obese weird nerd with a GPA of 3.5?

3.5 isn't that high. Just sayin'

A good personality isn't enough if you have no common interest or you think he can't keep up.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,332,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I dunno. From what I've read, there's a strong cultural bias in most Asian countries (Japan less so) against people who decide to study "useless" (read, non-lucrative) things in school, like marine biology, cultural anthropology, political theory, etc.

So I don't think it's so much about good grades, as it is about looking at grades as a sign of future earnings potential. Nerdy guys with esoteric interests and no desire to make something of themselves outside of "the academy" are probably not considered good catches.
What marine biology is hard to get into

Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 7 days ago)

2,748 posts, read 3,278,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Girls in the world are similar but there are some differences.

When I was a college student in China, the most popular boys were usually good students (high GPA). On the other hand, the athlete students are not really attractive to most girls.

In the US, girls seem to weigh "body type" much more and "intelligence" much less?
Your perceptions of US female college students and their preferences for "brawn over brains" seem antiquated and significantly out of touch with the realities of contemporary women in the USA.

Mind you, this is coming from a man in his 50's.

The young college-aged women I know (my daughters included) are selective about potential SO's (i.e., Significant Others). Contemporary US female College types appear to seek intellectually inclined "MEN" who can also assume the role of being a real MAN. They do not want nor seek overly protected "Momma's BOYS" who run to their Mommy's and Daddy's laps when things go awry.

Be they "brainy and/or brawny," women - be they in the USA or elsewhere - want AND DESERVE men whom are able to conduct themselves like MEN as required, when required. They want men whom are decisive, protective and (if necessary) confrontive. They don't want a man who is going to run to them when things get tough. They want a man whom THEY can run to . . . when things get tough!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

People should study or do what they truly desire and not care about what others think of themselves. I think the main reason many people living in asian societies feel more pressured/forced in going for certain choices is that they are so self-conscious of "the public eye" more so than other cultures.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,502,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Your perceptions of US female college students and their preferences for "brawn over brains" seem antiquated and significantly out of touch with the realities of contemporary women in the USA.

Mind you, this is coming from a man in his 50's.

The young college-aged women I know (my daughters included) are selective about potential SO's (i.e., Significant Others). Contemporary US female College types appear to seek intellectually inclined "MEN" who can also assume the role of being a real MAN. They do not want nor seek overly protected "Momma's BOYS" who run to their Mommy's and Daddy's laps when things go awry.

Be they "brainy and/or brawny," women - be they in the USA or elsewhere - want AND DESERVE men whom are able to conduct themselves like MEN as required, when required. They want men whom are decisive, protective and (if necessary) confrontive. They don't want a man who is going to run to them when things get tough. They want a man whom THEY can run to . . . when things get tough!

Your emphasis on this idea of real 'men' does give away your age some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or