U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

This is completely subjective, the criteria include GDP, economic connectedness, economic influence, number of fortune 500 companies, number of billionaires, number of visitors, industrial diversity, population, transport system, geographically connectedness worldwide/in Asia, number of grand buildings.etc, international cultural influence, regional and national cultural importance, no. of education institutions, museums.etc.

Tier 1:

Tokyo, Hong Kong

These are the true alpha cities of Asia. Tokyo is one of the 'big 3' in terms of economic importance along with London and Tokyo, and has the biggest metropolitan economy in the world. It also exports a lot of culture throughout Asia and the world. It compares poorly compared to Hong Kong in terms of no. of billionaires (though very high) as well as tourist visitors and the film industry. Both are economic world class cities and probably the most iconic cities in Asia still.

Tier 2:

Beijing, Seoul, Singapore

Tier 2 cities are definitely global cities, but are important for different reasons. Beijing is the capital of the most populous and what will become the most economically powerful nation on earth. It also has a long history and much cultural prestige. Seoul finds a place here principally because of it's huge size (2nd largest metro in Asia) and Korea's economic and cultural influence on the rest of the world. Singapore is economically very important, is the cultural and transportation hub of Asia. It makes up for it's paltry 5 million or so population by very high visitor numbers and in cultural capital.

Tier 3:

Bangkok, Shanghai, Mumbai, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur

Still major cities, they are not among the elite global cities IMO. Bangkok is here primarily because of it's tourism and regional connectedness. Shanghai as an economic centre, and Mumbai is both the hub of the 2nd most populous and wealthiest (by far nation on earth) and the world's largest film industry. The music industry of India is also headquatered in Mumbai. I put Dubai lower on the list than the GAWC, as I feel it's still an emerging city, but it's certainly very connected.

Tier 4:

Osaka, New Delhi, Jakarta, Manila, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Ho Chi Minh City

Basically the rest of the cities that have any regional/global significance in the region.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
^I guess you should change it to Metro Manila or it's either Makati or Global City. Manila is just the capital but there's a lot of cities that surrounded Manila and actually becoming business cities. I guess people sometimes get confused between Manila and Metro Manila (16 cities totally)

This is Manila

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFW-08R_k0A

Makati City is the current business city or district of entire metro manila but manila used to be the business city because of Escolta, the 1st business district. Now, Makati and Bonifacio Global City is 2 of the fast growing cities in the metro. Manila is just trying to bring back or revive the old city & I guess it will take time to get back on track like It used to be.

This is the Makati City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5EJZmQuvUE

Last edited by pinai; 05-26-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Tier 1:
Tokyo, Hong Kong

Tier 2:
Beijing, Seoul, Singapore

Tier 3:
Bangkok, Shanghai, Mumbai, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur

Tier 4:
Osaka, New Delhi, Jakarta, Manila, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Ho Chi Minh City
Shanghai and Osaka should be 1 tier higher.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Shanghai and Osaka should be 1 tier higher.
Actually you're probably right.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 AM

12,574 posts, read 15,041,157 times
That's a pretty good list!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
You might want to add Shanghai to tier 2....it might well be on the cusp of tier 1 in a few short years too.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
I'd have to say shanghai supposed to be at least in tier 2 and just a tiny gap to the tier 1

Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
^I guess you should change it to Metro Manila or it's either Makati or Global City. Manila is just the capital but there's a lot of cities that surrounded Manila and actually becoming business cities. I guess people sometimes get confused between Manila and Metro Manila (16 cities totally)

This is Manila

Manila: the Melting Pot - life - YouTube

Makati City is the current business city or district of entire metro manila but manila used to be the business city because of Escolta, the 1st business district. Now, Makati and Bonifacio Global City is 2 of the fast growing cities in the metro. Manila is just trying to bring back or revive the old city & I guess it will take time to get back on track like It used to be.

This is the Makati City

Philippine Ayala District, Makati City - YouTube
Good point. Metro Manila is actually equivalent to a city. And "Greater Manila" is equivalent to a metro area. The "cities" in Metro Manila are more like buroughs

Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 AM

956 posts, read 1,545,422 times
I have a strong gut feeling that Beijing will become Tier 1 in the near future

Singapore *might* climb up to Tier 1 as well.

Personally, I think Osaka should be between Tier 2~2.5

Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I have a strong gut feeling that Beijing will become Tier 1 in the near future

Singapore *might* climb up to Tier 1 as well.
Shanghai & Seoul will be in Tier 1 before Beijing does for sure.

Singapore doesn't have enough land to grow to Tier 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or